Dropped out of a T1 and you can actually ask me anything

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pinkcamellia

Re: Dropped out of a T1 and you can actually ask me anything

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Samara wrote:Thanks! It seems so hit or miss sometimes. Some older employers have pretty favorable opinions of a legal education, but things are so different now. It's hard to get a good grasp on this. Ultimately, it doesn't matter much at this point for me, but it is something I am interested in, for my backup plan.

Speaking of, did you have a backup plan going in for this very situation?

I know people tell you to always have a back up plan, but if you're like me and in your early twenties, do you realistically think that everyone has a back up plan? I mean, I had a vague idea that I could explore other options, certainly, but to say I had a real, laid-out back up plan would be a lie.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:12 am

OP: Dropped out, ask me anything:

Q: blah blah blah
A: reflective, philosophical answer

A: same

Q: What were your grades?
A: Below median.

See, we only had to ask one question all along, lol. I'm not trying to be mean, but I seriously doubt you would be dropping out if you had top grades and rocked OCI. And I think dropping out was probably the right decision for what you want in life.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 am

Last edited by Lawquacious on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:43 am

A'nold wrote:OP: Dropped out, ask me anything:

See, we only had to ask one question all along, lol. I'm not trying to be mean, but I seriously doubt you would be dropping out if you had top grades and rocked OCI. And I think dropping out was probably the right decision for what you want in life.

I mean, I would have left even if I was below median because I hated it that much, even before exams. But generally, I think you're right, and I think it definitely contributed.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:50 am

Lawquacious wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Congrats on the decision, btw. Probably the best decision, and not an easy thing to do.

Disagree.

You're right, it was pretty easy to drop out after I hated it.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 am

I was wondering why your name looked so familiar, and then I remembered you from the December 2010 waiting thread. Time really does fly. I have no questions; I just wanted to add that I'm sorry to hear that law school didn't work out for you, and I'm glad that you made the right decision moving forward.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 am

KevinP wrote:I was wondering why your name looked so familiar, and then I remembered you from the December 2010 waiting thread. Time really does fly. I have no questions; I just wanted to add that I'm sorry to hear that law school didn't work out for you, and I'm glad that you made the right decision moving forward.

Much appreciated. I hope it does work out for you and that you enjoy it :D

It really is a great opportunity if done the right way and you have the taste for it. I didn't and I learned the hard way. I am by no means saying OMG EVERY1 U MUST DROP OUT NAO. I simply want to help those facing the decision make the best one for them and share my experience. I have a great job and a bright future with minimal debt. Things are still okay when law school doesn't work out.

chup

Postby chup » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 am

In before Campos link.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:06 am

A'nold wrote:

I know someone who had top 10-15 percent grades at Hahhhhhvahd and dropped out anyway. Blows your mind, I know.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 am

f7 wrote:

You're a retard who transferred to some shit institution, stop ruining a good thread with a perspective that is sorely lacking on TLS.

Before you ask, my grades were well above median at a T4, and I have a biglaw job. I'd give the same advice as OP.

T4 = TTTTouro?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:16 am

Is duck transferring?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:Is duck transferring?

I think he is definitely leaning that way.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:15 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:

Bummer.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:

Bummer.

I think he'll only go if it's H or S, and he isn't in yet, so you never know.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Any thoughts on what you could have done differently to perform better in law school?

Did you follow TLS advice on how to succeed on exams?

tacocabana

Postby tacocabana » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:22 pm

f7 wrote:

You're a retard who transferred to some shit institution, stop ruining a good thread with a perspective that is sorely lacking on TLS.

Before you ask, my grades were well above median at a T4, and I have a biglaw job. I'd give the same advice as OP.

+1

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:29 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Any thoughts on what you could have done differently to perform better in law school?

Did you follow TLS advice on how to succeed on exams?

In terms of performing better, I am reluctant to say because I think different things work for different people. Some people swear by outlining. I outlined. Some people swear by using other people's outlines. I think there's also that unknown factor - when you just "get it" - and no one can tell you how to do that.

And yes, I did follow TLS exam advice. You have to remember that tons of people in your class will be using the same resources as you. There is no full-proof "do well at law school" method.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Law school is very different from the practice of law. I know many successful attorneys who did not enjoy law school & were not highly ranked in their class. The main difference is that this is a much tougher economy, however.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:13 pm

1) What was your undergrad degree (if you don't mind my asking)?

2) Was that the primary qualification that enabled you to do consulting work or was it mainly due to your prior work experience?

3) Do you think you would have dropped out without having found a good alternative?

4) Are you happy to have tried and dropped out than to not have tried at all?

Also, thanks a bunch for sharing your story. Hearing about people who made the decision to drop out in a clear, responsible manner actually makes the whole process of choosing to go to law school seem less daunting.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:46 am

f7 wrote:

I guess I should be flattered that I have no idea who the hell you are/could care less about you yet you know me so well......

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 am

tacocabana wrote:
f7 wrote:

+1

Thanks for taking time out of your day to open a brand new TLS account to say +1 to something some idiot had to say to me above. Not bashing op. In fact, I like op, she is being honest and seems like a good person.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Law school is very different from the practice of law. I know many successful attorneys who did not enjoy law school & were not highly ranked in their class. The main difference is that this is a much tougher economy, however.

Same with people who did well but hate the practice of law.

OP you made a hard decision so congrats on going through with that. Its hard because of all the expectations by friends/family I mean you moved and started training for a career after all. Also, staying in school is the path of least resistance so good on you for recognizing law isn't for you and ejecting before you truly hated your life during practice.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:55 am

A'nold wrote:Thanks for taking time out of your day to open a brand new TLS account to say +1 to something some idiot had to say to me above. Not bashing op. In fact, I like op, she is being honest and seems like a good person.

You may like her, but you definitely sounded like you were accusing her of being somewhat disingenuous.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:21 am

dresden doll wrote:
A'nold wrote:Thanks for taking time out of your day to open a brand new TLS account to say +1 to something some idiot had to say to me above. Not bashing op. In fact, I like op, she is being honest and seems like a good person.

You may like her, but you definitely sounded like you were accusing her of being somewhat disingenuous.

+1

Either A'nold lacks any emotional intelligence and the ability to empathize or he's just a plain douche. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and just call him a douche. Let's hangout in Belltown, A'nold!

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Last edited by LazinessPerSe on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”