Dropped out of a T1 and you can actually ask me anything

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pinkcamellia

Dropped out of a T1 and you can actually ask me anything

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:00 pm

You can ask anything and I'll answer. I run the Support Thread for law school stress, and you can ask me about that, too. Currently working on "Guide to Dropping Out" for TLS Content Competition.

Doritos

Re: Dropped out of a T1 and you can actually ask me anything

Postby Doritos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Two questions:

1. What do you do for dollars?
2. How much happier now?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Doritos wrote:Two questions:

1. What do you do for dollars?
2. How much happier now?

1. For dollars, I do consulting work. I am able to work from home at my own pace, and it's a lot less stressful.
2. So much happier. I was constantly worrying about how the job I wanted (mediator) would pay off my debt. I got a hefty scholarship, but even with that it was looking rough.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Why did you drop out?

Why did you go in the first place?

What changed between then and now?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:Why did you drop out/

Combination of things, as I'm sure it is for everyone.

1. Every day was miserable. I had lots of business and even a law class in undergrad, and had sat in on some law school classes. I thought I would enjoy it, but I hated it. I didn't like playing the game of exams and sucking up to people. For people considering law school, I always recommend shadowing a local attorney who does what you want to do.

2. I really wanted to help people with mediation. Even though my school has a good reputation for that sort of thing, I would have had to live in a closet eating ramen noodles. I would not be happy living in a closet eating ramen noodles.

3. I felt like my school was lying, and even though that makes me sound like a ridiculously naive and altruistic person, I despised that. I was an ambassador during my first semester and I felt like I was leading lambs to the slaughter.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Do you feel like you did your homework pre-law school? Specifically, why did you think becoming a mediator (which often requires no law degree) was the best career path? Do you know many people who became successful mediators right out of law school?

Congrats on the decision, btw. Probably the best decision, and not an easy thing to do.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Do you think law school is only worth it (ignoring cost) if you are dead set on a career as a practicing lawyer?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:Do you feel like you did your homework pre-law school? Specifically, why did you think becoming a mediator (which often requires no law degree) was the best career path? Do you know many people who became successful mediators right out of law school?

Congrats on the decision, btw. Probably the best decision, and not an easy thing to do.

As far as doing my homework, absolutely. My undergrad has a T30 law school and I talked lot a lot of people there. I also used TLS advice, retaking my LSAT and reading Getting to Maybe as well as PLS and Law School Confidential. I am one of those people that truly enjoys research.

Mediation seemed like a good path because I knew people who did it at law firms. They still used their law degrees to do some Family Law stuff as well, which I was also interested in doing. I figured a law degree would give me the leg up I needed to gain access to mediation jobs, as it seemed tough to be able to do something like that solo. So I did know some successful people (one is a family member who does that sort of work and also has a law degree) and that definitely influenced me. Of course there's no denying the other influences that people have, such as the perceived prestige of being a law school graduate and the idea that I would be a leader in my community. I see myself as more of a pro bono oriented person and that obviously isn't the main focus or moneymaker of firms or lawyers in general. Looking back, I wish I had explored more of TLS than just the LSAT and "chance me" threads - if I am being honest with myself, it probably wouldn't have stopped me from going, but I certainly would have seen more of the realities of this new economy.

Thank you for your questions and your support of my decision :)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Grades?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Samara wrote:Do you think law school is only worth it (ignoring cost) if you are dead set on a career as a practicing lawyer?

No, because there are other options at top schools (YHS) that I believe people with the right connections could get. People with just insane connections, like their dad is a CEO. BUT I think if you're a "normal" person, or if you're at certain schools, like mine, the answer is yes.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Why'd you go to law school to be a mediator? Most mediators (in my state at least) are not attorneys

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Grades?

Right below my school's median. Also influencing my decision was the fact that people with my same grades got at least a look at our spring OCI, but I didn't. Every employer I have interviewed with since leaving law school has thought my resume was exceptional, but in law school I didn't stand out.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:40 pm

dr123 wrote:Why'd you go to law school to be a mediator? Most mediators (in my state at least) are not attorneys

I also had the strong interest in Family Law, as I told Romo. I never wanted the big money - I just wanted to live comfortably. Where I'm from, in order to do that, being a mediator without anything else to supplement that is useless. There's just not enough work to mediate alone (think small area in the South).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Name your fiancé's three biggest flaws. And none of that fake shit like "omg he's just too caring."

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:43 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:

Right below my school's median. Also influencing my decision was the fact that people with my same grades got at least a look at our spring OCI, but I didn't. Every employer I have interviewed with since leaving law school has thought my resume was exceptional, but in law school I didn't stand out.

That's a really interesting insight. I would agree. Good lawyer jobs are so competitive compared to non-lawyer jobs. So do you think a law degree (related to my previous question, thanks for answering btw) largely provides little marginal resume benefit for non-JD-required jobs?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Name your fiancé's three biggest flaws. And none of that fake shit like "omg he's just too caring."

1. He eats sunflower seeds all the time, and I don't really like them and then there are random containers of empty sunflower seeds that I just find around the house.
2. He never uses cups - he just drinks from the jug/carton/pitcher
3. He doesn't know where he wants to transfer and so I can't plan anything for the wedding, and people keep asking me about it and I say there are no plans and it makes me look pretty stupid and/or like my engagement is somehow not as solid as it should be. It gets old fast.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:47 pm

chances that he transfers to UChicago?

Did people at your law school get defensive about its quality or were they pretty chill?

Is the jug filled with moonshine?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Samara wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:

That's a really interesting insight. I would agree. Good lawyer jobs are so competitive compared to non-lawyer jobs. So do you think a law degree (related to my previous question, thanks for answering btw) largely provides little marginal resume benefit for non-JD-required jobs?

No problem, I'm happy to answer. I think that it could depend on what kind of non-JD-required job you are hoping to get. I think while some employers might be impressed, others might be wary of the reputations/stereotypes of a lawyer and might not want one around. They might also think that as soon as a legal job came up (they wouldn't know that legal jobs don't just "come up") you might ditch them. They might fear being reported for something. People are suspicious when it comes to their businesses. I think overall it would actually be a bad thing to have a JD and not use it, because I feel like it's less impressive to quality employers than it once was.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:chances that he transfers to UChicago?

lolno

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm

fatduck wrote:

lolno

FINE! More rigor for me.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Did people at your law school get defensive about its quality or were they pretty chill?

Is the jug filled with moonshine?

We will absolutely not come to UChicago.

People at my law school defended it a lot more first semester than they did second, I'll say that. Even people in the top of the class realized that even if they were residents (public state school) it could end up being a pretty shitty deal if you weren't top third.

The jug is filled with Arnold Palmer.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Not sure what you mean by sucking up to people. People do that in law school with actual results?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:05 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:Not sure what you mean by sucking up to people. People do that in law school with actual results?

Hahaha oh yes. As for what I mean by that - you're always bottom of the food chain, always asking for lunches or favors from attorneys, and it never ends. There's always someone else to make happy or someone else's ass to kiss even (or especially) after law school. Of course, this is my opinion. But you can't tell me that lawyers aren't always at someone's beck and call, be it client or partner or supervisor.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:07 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:Not sure what you mean by sucking up to people. People do that in law school with actual results?

Hahaha oh yes. As for what I mean by that - you're always bottom of the food chain, always asking for lunches or favors from attorneys, and it never ends. There's always someone else to make happy or someone else's ass to kiss even (or especially) after law school. Of course, this is my opinion. But you can't tell me that lawyers aren't always at someone's beck and call, be it client or partner or supervisor.

TBF, you pretty much have to do this with ANY industry or field of work to succeed.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:07 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
Samara wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:

No problem, I'm happy to answer. I think that it could depend on what kind of non-JD-required job you are hoping to get. I think while some employers might be impressed, others might be wary of the reputations/stereotypes of a lawyer and might not want one around. They might also think that as soon as a legal job came up (they wouldn't know that legal jobs don't just "come up") you might ditch them. They might fear being reported for something. People are suspicious when it comes to their businesses. I think overall it would actually be a bad thing to have a JD and not use it, because I feel like it's less impressive to quality employers than it once was.

Thanks! It seems so hit or miss sometimes. Some older employers have pretty favorable opinions of a legal education, but things are so different now. It's hard to get a good grasp on this. Ultimately, it doesn't matter much at this point for me, but it is something I am interested in, for my backup plan.

Speaking of, did you have a backup plan going in for this very situation?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”