Dropped out of a T14 law school, ask me anything Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
danquayle

Silver

Re: Dropped out of a T14 law school, ask me anything

Post by danquayle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:51 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
jurisx wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:Thanks for those trying to reassure me. I currently do work at a BigLaw firm (not as a lawyer, obviously), and most of the lawyers I interact with here aren't bad people, so you guys are probably right. Yes, I would agree a lot of people on here aren't very funny. To me, what sells a joke or humor isn't always just the joke, but also the person's attitude/persona. And when they come off as an elitist or as arrogant, then it's pretty hard to find them funny.
better to be the worlds worst lawyer than the worlds best paralegal.
I suppose this is true.
That is absolutely not true. There are plenty of paralegals/legal assistants that make more money than lawyers, have a stronger professional reputation and put in less investment.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:55 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
jurisx wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:Thanks for those trying to reassure me. I currently do work at a BigLaw firm (not as a lawyer, obviously), and most of the lawyers I interact with here aren't bad people, so you guys are probably right. Yes, I would agree a lot of people on here aren't very funny. To me, what sells a joke or humor isn't always just the joke, but also the person's attitude/persona. And when they come off as an elitist or as arrogant, then it's pretty hard to find them funny.
I suppose this is true.
I think those two would be a match made in heaven. :D

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:55 pm

danquayle wrote:
jurisx wrote: better to be the worlds worst lawyer than the worlds best paralegal.
That is absolutely not true. There are plenty of paralegals/legal assistants that make more money than lawyers, have a stronger professional reputation and put in less investment.
Not to mention that it's certainly not better for your clients. Glad to hear you admit that you don't care about committing malpractice.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:57 pm

BradleytheBuyer wrote:Even in a field like bio, the communication and lawyering skills you would have gotten in the next two years, coupled with the prestigious JD would make you a stronger candidate for jobs, promotions, leadership and management positions.
Don't be so sure about that. I've done a lot of hiring at my agency (legal services) and whenever I see a resume from a JD for a non-JD position, I can't help but wonder "why is this person applying for this position? Is it because they're unable to get a position they're actually qualified for, and if that's the case then what's wrong with them?" I'm not the only one who thinks this. We just went through a slew of resumes for a non-JD position and even though we received plenty of JD resumes, we didn't interview a single one.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:01 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
jurisx wrote:
an MBA is always useless. The CPA sounds solid though.
I don't normally do the straight ad hom thing, but you're an idiot.
I got my JD, and then got my MBA. There are plenty of things an MBA will help you with, but most of that help comes early on at the beginning of your career when you're using the MBA to make a career change or get that first job. The networking aspect helps, but like the rest of the MBA's value, it has severely diminishing value. The JD might be the complete opposite.

For the JD who wants to practice law indefinitely, the MBA doesn't add much. It's a nice talking point and something of a differentiating item, but other lawyers generally don't care, especially firm lawyers. House counsel does give a little love to the JD/MBA as so much of their work ends up being very much like contract managers anyway.

One thing the the MBA might do for the JD is leave open the door to a smooth transition to a business side career. (This is speculative, I haven't gone this route). And of course, if you want to shoot for something like management consulting right out of the gate, a JD/MBA from two top schools won't hurt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:02 pm

cinephile wrote:
danquayle wrote:
jurisx wrote: better to be the worlds worst lawyer than the worlds best paralegal.
Not to mention that it's certainly not better for your clients. Glad to hear you admit that you don't care about committing malpractice.
What are you trying to say?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:04 pm

danquayle wrote:
cinephile wrote:
danquayle wrote:
What are you trying to say?
That was directed at jurisx, not you. quote fail, perhaps

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:08 pm

cinephile wrote: That was directed at jurisx, not you. quote fail, perhaps
Oh... my bad. Keep it coming.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:15 pm

danquayle wrote:
He/she is amazing in another thread, claiming he/she'd never treat a paralegal as an equal.

We're probably getting trolled.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 pm

I think a JD....makes him a stronger candidate for jobs based purely on my subjective opinion. I think employers are aware that people embelish on resumes and colleges inflate GPAs. A graduate degree from a prestigious univeristy, again in my subjective opinion, signals that the person has good communication skills, analytical skills and stuff like political correctness skills that allow him to simply get the degree and not kicked out for smoking weed or breaking into the registrar's office. Having a JD might make you overqualified for many positions or show undecisiveness if you continue on something completely unrelated, but I don't think that any corporate structure or even small business wouldn't benefit from someone with a law degree.
Sorry, but do you have any objective data to support your subjective opinion?

Most employers hire people who can do the job and grow the company. A JD is of no value to most employers looking to fill positions. And generally, "overqualified" is a signal to the employer that the JD won't stick around if s/he finds something better.
good communication skills, analytical skills and stuff like political correctness skills
Those are not exclusive to the study of law (and I would question whether LS even teaches them better than other disciplines). But regardless of my subjective opinion, 3 years and $200k is not of any value to an employer when a lot of BA's have the same skill set.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:07 pm

BradleytheBuyer wrote: ...A graduate degree from a prestigious univeristy, again in my subjective opinion, signals that the person has good communication skills, analytical skills and stuff like political correctness skills that allow him to simply get the degree and not kicked out for smoking weed or breaking into the registrar's office. Having a JD might make you overqualified for many positions or show undecisiveness if you continue on something completely unrelated, but I don't think that any corporate structure or even small business wouldn't benefit from someone with a law degree.
Is this from a Law school brochure?

Aren't there cheaper ways to get a graduate degree from a "prestigious" university?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:31 pm

damn. Sorry to hear it OP, good luck in the future. You sound like a cool dude

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:37 pm

I wish I had the option of dropping out of a T-14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
BradleytheBuyer wrote: ...A graduate degree from a prestigious univeristy, again in my subjective opinion, signals that the person has good communication skills, analytical skills and stuff like political correctness skills that allow him to simply get the degree and not kicked out for smoking weed or breaking into the registrar's office. Having a JD might make you overqualified for many positions or show undecisiveness if you continue on something completely unrelated, but I don't think that any corporate structure or even small business wouldn't benefit from someone with a law degree.
Is this from a Law school brochure?

Aren't there cheaper ways to get a graduate degree from a "prestigious" university?
Harvard Extension

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 pm

danquayle wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:
jurisx wrote:
I suppose this is true.
never said a paralegal with 20 years at a big firm couldn't make more than a rookie lawyer at a small firm. Not the point at all.

Head Nurse to rookie doctor, SGM to Lt, etc,etc.

Still a step down in life though. You want to be one, go be one. Live it up.
Last edited by jurisx on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:I wish I had the option of dropping out of a T-14.
You have the option of dropping out where you are. What's stopping you?

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 pm

cinephile wrote:
danquayle wrote:
He/she is amazing in another thread, claiming he/she'd never treat a paralegal as an equal.

never said that(but let me say it now),no they aren't eqyal. Duh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 pm

jurisx wrote:
cinephile wrote:
danquayle wrote:

never said that(but let me say it now),no they aren't eqyal. Duh.
Did you ever receive the "Get AIDS" request I submitted? If so, have you gotten AIDS yet? If not, could you please get AIDS? kthxbai

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:28 pm

jurisx wrote:SGM to Lt...Still a step down in life though.
GENERAL
Faster than a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a locomotive.
Leaps tall buildings in a single bound.
Walks on water.
Lunches with God, but must pick up the tab.

COLONEL
Almost as fast as a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a shunting engine on a steep incline.
Leaps short buildings with a single bound.
Walks on water if sea is calm.
Talks to God.

LIEUTENANT-COLONEL
Faster than an energetically thrown rock.
Almost as powerful as a speeding bullet.
Leaps short buildings with a running start in favourable winds.
Walks on water of indoor swimming pools if lifeguard is present.
May be granted audience with God if special request is approved at least three working days in advance.

MAJOR
Can fire a speeding bullet with tolerable accuracy.
Loses tug of war against anything mechanical.
Makes impressively high marks when trying to leap tall buildings.
Swims well.
Is occasionally addressed by God, in passing.

CAPTAIN
Can sometimes handle firearm without shooting self.
Is run over by trains.
Barely clears outhouse.
Dog paddles.
Mumbles to self.

LIEUTENANT
Is dangerous to self and comrades if armed and unsupervised.
Recognizes trains two out of three times.
Runs into tall buildings.
Can stay afloat if properly instructed on use of life jacket and water wings.
Talks to walls.

Sergeant Major is god
, not a step down in life.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:34 pm

lnllnl wrote:
jurisx wrote:SGM to Lt...Still a step down in life though.
GENERAL
Faster than a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a locomotive.
Leaps tall buildings in a single bound.
Walks on water.
Lunches with God, but must pick up the tab.

COLONEL
Almost as fast as a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a shunting engine on a steep incline.
Leaps short buildings with a single bound.
Walks on water if sea is calm.
Talks to God.

LIEUTENANT-COLONEL
Faster than an energetically thrown rock.
Almost as powerful as a speeding bullet.
Leaps short buildings with a running start in favourable winds.
Walks on water of indoor swimming pools if lifeguard is present.
May be granted audience with God if special request is approved at least three working days in advance.

MAJOR
Can fire a speeding bullet with tolerable accuracy.
Loses tug of war against anything mechanical.
Makes impressively high marks when trying to leap tall buildings.
Swims well.
Is occasionally addressed by God, in passing.

CAPTAIN
Can sometimes handle firearm without shooting self.
Is run over by trains.
Barely clears outhouse.
Dog paddles.
Mumbles to self.

LIEUTENANT
Is dangerous to self and comrades if armed and unsupervised.
Recognizes trains two out of three times.
Runs into tall buildings.
Can stay afloat if properly instructed on use of life jacket and water wings.
Talks to walls.

Sergeant Major is god
, not a step down in life.
Yes, yes it is. (a huge one) That is why they have to salute and die at the will of the 22 year old who graduated from community college and only enlisted after getting a 130 on the lsat.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:08 pm

jurisx wrote: Yes, yes it is. (a huge one) That is why they have to salute and die at the will of the 22 year old who graduated from community college and only enlisted after getting a 130 on the lsat.
I dunno what BS unit you were in but at the will of a 22 yr old? I have yet to see one LT give a SGM an order to do shit. Most LT's knew enough to stfu and listen to the "suggestions". And if they didn't, I'm sure their Top came by and gave them some more suggestions followed by their CO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:09 pm

jurisx wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:I wish I had the option of dropping out of a T-14.
You have the option of dropping out where you are. What's stopping you?
Very few people are willing to admit failure, and would rather graduate below median, get doc review gigs, and still be seen as a 'lawyer' in the eyes of proles.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 pm

lnllnl wrote:
jurisx wrote: Yes, yes it is. (a huge one) That is why they have to salute and die at the will of the 22 year old who graduated from community college and only enlisted after getting a 130 on the lsat.
I dunno what BS unit you were in but at the will of a 22 yr old? I have yet to see one LT give a SGM an order to do shit. Most LT's knew enough to stfu and listen to the "suggestions". And if they didn't, I'm sure their Top came by and gave them some more suggestions followed by their CO.
jurisx drops this faux-military shit in just about every thread. it's pretty obvious he never actually served.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Vets trolling vets? America is a TTT in decline.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:07 pm

lnllnl wrote:
I served, most people who talk just know what their uncle or daddy told them (and they lied)
As for the BS page long post of the ranks meanings, that is just what lifer Cpl's say to justify why they still are an E-4 after 8 years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”