Professor Died Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
abc12345675

Bronze

Professor Died

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 am

So a professor at my law school died. And as insensitive as this may sound, she hadn't finished grading the exams! What will the school do? Seems unfair that another professor will be grading them, since the exams were written "for" this professor's style.

Broseidon

Gold

Re: Professor Died

Post by Broseidon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:19 am

Last edited by Broseidon on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:21 am

Broseidon wrote:Strange that this thread pops up. I was wondering last week what would happen in the event of this.
Very strange. I'll be interested to see how they handle it. To me, the "fair" way to do it would be to look at past exams to see what the "A" exams were and find ones exactly like that. Or maybe just give nobody less than a B-.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am

anyone have any insight?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Seems like the best idea would be to contact the dean as it would ultimately be their decision. It would suck but I could see them having the other professor for whatever class it is grading them too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:30 pm

2014 wrote:Seems like the best idea would be to contact the dean as it would ultimately be their decision. It would suck but I could see them having the other professor for whatever class it is grading them too.
0L here. do deans not usually find out about stuff like this?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:39 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
2014 wrote:Seems like the best idea would be to contact the dean as it would ultimately be their decision. It would suck but I could see them having the other professor for whatever class it is grading them too.
Deans never find out when professors die. It happens all the time and no one tells them.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
I meant if he is desperately curious he should get in touch with the dean. Realistically they are going to handle it how they are going to handle it and there's nothing OP can do about it. If it were me I would probably offer students the chance to take a pass in the class or to have the other section's Civ Pro or w/e teacher grade it. You would just have to make the choice before you found out how you did.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 pm

This happened to a student I know, except her professor had a mental breakdown. The school had another professor grade the exams. Apparently, she thought it probably had no impact on the curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:15 pm

This would mean the exams go to a different professor, who has a different house, with a completely different set of stairs. Grades would shift immensely, unless theres a similar condo/apartment situation going on...

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm

abc12345675 wrote:So a professor at my law school died. And as insensitive as this may sound, she hadn't finished grading the exams! What will the school do? Seems unfair that another professor will be grading them, since the exams were written "for" this professor's style.
Yes, that is quite insensitive of her. Didn't she know it was going to inconvenience you?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Detrox wrote:This would mean the exams go to a different professor, who has a different house, with a completely different set of stairs. Grades would shift immensely, unless theres a similar condo/apartment situation going on...
:lol: :lol:

I was always under the impression the toss was supposed to take place in the law school to prevent exactly this problem.
Last edited by LeDique on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm

abc12345675 wrote:So a professor at my law school died. And as insensitive as this may sound, she hadn't finished grading the exams! What will the school do? Seems unfair that another professor will be grading them, since the exams were written "for" this professor's style.
Do you understand how insensitive that is? Are you transferring or desperate for your grades? You really don't want to be the guy who asked the Dean about his grade from the dead professor. Every single person at the school will know about it. You need to wait this out, or at least give it a while.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm

If my professor did that, I would kill her.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:28 pm

sunynp wrote:
Do you understand how insensitive that is? Are you transferring or desperate for your grades? You really don't want to be the guy who asked the Dean about his grade from the dead professor. Every single person at the school will know about it. You need to wait this out, or at least give it a while.
:lol: I can't even remember my civ pro professor's name. That is particularly bad because it was the first law class I ever had and dude is pretty distinctive. No one cares about their profs.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 pm

sunynp wrote:
I don't consider it insensitive at all. I for one care about my professors as much as they care about me. Yes, it's unfortunate that she died. But wondering how this will affect your grades is a perfectly understandable response. You don't think it would be reasonable to wonder how a judge's death mid-case would affect the outcome of the trial? I agree that OP shouldn't immediately contact the school, but it is certainly a reasonable thing to be worried about.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
sunynp wrote:
:lol: I can't even remember my civ pro professor's name. That is particularly bad because it was the first law class I ever had and dude is pretty distinctive. No one cares about their profs.
Yeah no one cares about the profs but the dean will hate him for asking about this on the day (or soon after) they are having a vigil for the prof. Everyone in the school will consider him an asshole. Or if OP doesn't care about that, he could just ask about it at the vigil as all the deans and faculty should be there to give him an answer.

Like I said, he needs to give it a few days or wait it out. I'm sure the Dean has thought about how to handle this situation.

She probably didn't get to finish grading because she was on life support for a while.

http://www.lawweekonline.com/2012/06/vi ... nn-scales/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 pm

sunynp wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
sunynp wrote:
Yeah no one cares about the profs but the dean will hate him for asking about this on the day (or soon after) they are having a vigil for the prof. Everyone in the school will consider him an asshole. Or if OP doesn't care about that, he could just ask about it at the vigil as all the deans and faculty should be there to give him an answer.

Like I said, he needs to give it a few days or wait it out. I'm sure the Dean has thought about how to handle this situation.

She probably didn't get to finish grading because she was on life support for a while.

http://www.lawweekonline.com/2012/06/vi ... nn-scales/
Who said I was going to email the dean soon? Who said I was going to email the dean at all? I was just wondering what people thought would happen. Sorry if I offended you.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:41 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Who said I was going to email the dean soon? Who said I was going to email the dean at all? I was just wondering what people thought would happen. Sorry if I offended you.
Some people in the thread suggested you contact the dean. I'm not offended, but I'm certain that the dean would be, I was pointing that out. Sorry if i misinterpreted your intentions. Good luck with this situation, this one is truly out of your control.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
Deans never find out when professors die. It happens all the time and no one tells them.
I lol'ed.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 pm

this thread has me uncontrollably laughing. this is so fucking stupid and aspie...both the OP and some of the responses

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 am

Had a professor mention that something similar happened to him 1L year at YHS. He said they just made the class pass/fail (before the days of no grades) and basically quietly explained that everyone would get a pass.

EDIT: This was a couple of decades ago so take it with a grain of salt, but it does seem like a logical solution.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:this thread has me uncontrollably laughing. this is so fucking stupid and aspie...both the OP and some of the responses
Hallmarks of TLS.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:48 pm

ben4847 wrote:If my professor did that, I would kill her.
Most underrated comment ITT. Well done.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:56 pm

0L, but I had my UG piano professor die right after midterms. Definitely do not contact the dean. Ride it out. I'm sure that you will be contacted, and things will be figured out. The dean is likely frantically making phone calls and picking up the pieces. Don't add to their workload. Shit will be sorted out, because that's their job.

If it is not sorted out by August, then contact the dean. Otherwise, attend the vigil/funeral/whatever (if possible), do not mention this subject, and just wait it out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”