Kicked Off of a Journal?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MinnesotaJoe

Kicked Off of a Journal?

Postby MinnesotaJoe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Do you know of any students at your school who have been kicked off of a journal? If so, was it plagiarism, slacking off, or something else?

ben4847

Re: Kicked Off of a Journal?

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13 pm

There was a thread about a guy like that not long ago. If I recall, it was something really minor. But I assume that is the exception.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 pm

I know someone who was kicked off for basically slacking off. I know another who decided he didn't want to do it anymore.

MinnesotaJoe

Postby MinnesotaJoe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Minor? Like he plagiarized just a few sentences in a long paper?

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm

haha what did you plagiarize? if it was minor, then how did you get caught? just saying... there's plenty of plagiarism going on in the world, but you have to be pretty careless to get caught.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 pm

joobacca wrote:haha what did you plagiarize? if it was minor, then how did you get caught? just saying... there's plenty of plagiarism going on in the world, but you have to be pretty careless to get caught.

Back in the early days of the Internet (early '90s)my brother plagiarized a book report he pulled off the web.
His teacher asked where he got the report from, so my brother says he wrote it
Teacher replies no you didn't, whete'd you get it?

Turns out teacher was the original author.
Guy didn't even know his stuff was available online
Talk about being shit out of luck

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 pm

if he just took the paper and submitted it, then that's careless. i get that internet wasn't nearly as prevalent in the early 90s, but it's not like it was that rare. it was available at schools and libraries. i always assume that if a dumbass like me can find it, then someone else, especially a teacher who cares, can find it. you got the throw the scent off.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:55 pm

joobacca wrote:if he just took the paper and submitted it, then that's careless. i get that internet wasn't nearly as prevalent in the early 90s, but it's not like it was that rare. it was available at schools and libraries. i always assume that if a dumbass like me can find it, then someone else, especially a teacher who cares, can find it. you got the throw the scent off.

Nah, schools where we were didn't have it.
Internet had only just made it to our town a little while before and barely anyone we knew was online yet
I don't remember the year, but it was early days, 91 or 92
And he was 12 years old and too lazy to do his homework, wtf makes you think he was sophisticated enough to cheat properly?

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 pm

i just assumed a lot/messing around. i am interested in what op did to get kicked of journal. i feel like journal makes it pretty easy to avoid plagiarism charge.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:23 am

I know of a couple people that have been kicked off. It's mainly for slacking off, turning in stuff way late, not even doing the bare minimum on cite checks, stuff like that.

dudders

Postby dudders » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:49 am

kalvano wrote:I know of a couple people that have been kicked off. It's mainly for slacking off, turning in stuff way late, not even doing the bare minimum on cite checks, stuff like that.

This.

MinnesotaJoe wrote:Minor? Like he plagiarized just a few sentences in a long paper?

I wouldn't characterize this as "minor." Personally I think any plagiarism is grounds to be booted from your journal and called before your school's disciplinary committee.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:52 am

Plagarism = major. I'd be worried about C&F. Why the fuck would someone not just cite it though? Really, you'd be better off since you can take up more space with a block quote.

Someone got kicked off my journal for missing deadlines.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:29 pm

IAFG wrote:Plagarism = major. I'd be worried about C&F.

Seriously. I almost choked when I saw "minor" and "plagiarism" in the same question.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Renzo wrote:
IAFG wrote:Plagarism = major. I'd be worried about C&F.

Seriously. I almost choked when I saw "minor" and "plagiarism" in the same question.

I waiting/hoping someone would say this. Plagiarism usually gets you suspended/expelled, and will be a major problem at C&F. See, e.g., In re White, 656 S.E.2d 527 (Ga. 2008). Whether or not you stay on journal is usually the least of your concerns.

MinnesotaJoe

Postby MinnesotaJoe » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 pm

ben4847 wrote:There was a thread about a guy like that not long ago. If I recall, it was something really minor. But I assume that is the exception.

Anybody know what this was?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”