Cover Letter & Resume Questions (with a poll!) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which cover letter intro?

"I am a rising second year..." - Include undergrad GPA (3.7).
5%
"I am a rising second year..." - DON'T include undergrad GPA.
52%
"As a rising second year student ranked #X at XYZ..." - Include undergrad GPA.
14%
"As a rising second year student ranked #X at XYZ..." - DON'T include undergrad GPA.
29%

Total votes: 21

.375 H&H Mag.

New

Cover Letter & Resume Questions (with a poll!)

Post by .375 H&H Mag. » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm

TWO quick questions as I'm finalizing my application materials:
1) For my cover letter introduction, which is better?
a) "I am a rising second year student at XYZ, and am applying..."
b) "As a rising second year student ranked #X at XYZ, I am applying..."
*My career services adviser recommends the second, but I'm worried I'll come across as a d-bag for putting my rank so prominently, when its already in my resume. However, I worked hard to get it, it's my best selling point at a lot of firms that otherwise wouldn't consider me, so why not?
2) Should I include my undergrad GPA of 3.7? (I went to a nationally respected, non-Ivy private college.)
Thanks for any advice!

MissMock

New

Re: Cover Letter & Resume Questions (with a poll!)

Post by MissMock » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 am

If you go with option a, you need to do one of two things:

I am a rising second year student at XYZ, and I am applying...
OR
I am a rising second year student at XYZ and am applying...

If you are using a coordinating conjunction (and) to seperate two INDEPENDENT clauses, then you use a comma. If the second part is not an independent clause, no comma.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by MissMock on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:34 am

I think if a mod moved this to the employment forum you would get a lot more help.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 am

Are you talking about including your undergrad GPA in your cover letter or your resume? Do not put it in your cover letter. If you're talking about your resume, it's really not like to make an impact either way. It's probably high enough that you have nothing to lose. Did you receive Latin honors? If so, I would just put that on there and let it speak for itself without the actual number.

Also, the above grammar correction is correct. Do not use a comma to join an independent and subordinate clause. Either add a subject to the second clause or get rid of the comma.

.375 H&H Mag.

New

Post by .375 H&H Mag. » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm

dixon02 wrote:Are you talking about including your undergrad GPA in your cover letter or your resume? Do not put it in your cover letter. If you're talking about your resume, it's really not like to make an impact either way. It's probably high enough that you have nothing to lose. Did you receive Latin honors? If so, I would just put that on there and let it speak for itself without the actual number.

Also, the above grammar correction is correct. Do not use a comma to join an independent and subordinate clause. Either add a subject to the second clause or get rid of the comma.
Yeah, I realize that was confusing in the poll. No, I wouldn't put the undergrad GPA in the cover letter. So it would only be in the resume. I imagine a 3.7 is not going to sway anyone one way or the other, but I do worry about having it looked down on more than I think it would be a boost. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Did you get latin? If so put the latin on there.

jsgrunwald

New

Post by jsgrunwald » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:48 pm

I would definitely mention the GPA in the resume, not the cover letter of course.

The GPA is respectable enough (and from a decent enough university) to be worth it. I probably wouldn't put it under my top "bullet points" (if you make your resume with a quick 'tag lines' at the beginning). But I would definitely put it under your Academic Achievements. Obviously chronologically.

Say, Law School Ranking, GPA
Law Related Work (summers, internships, experience, Law Review obviously)
Law School Extracurriculars (clubs, moot court, etc)
Any other experience worth noting that you did during your law years (like an internship at something non-law related)
College Name, Major, GPA
Any other experience you did BEFORE law school (internships during undergrad, etc)
Collegiate activities (keep it short..if there's anything that really stands out..that would be applicable at a higher level. The coed softball team that met Sunday Afternoons..no; but maybe the political or legally related club you started)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 pm

jsgrunwald wrote:I would definitely mention the GPA in the resume, not the cover letter of course.

The GPA is respectable enough (and from a decent enough university) to be worth it. I probably wouldn't put it under my top "bullet points" (if you make your resume with a quick 'tag lines' at the beginning). But I would definitely put it under your Academic Achievements. Obviously chronologically.
That depends on the school. At T10 schools that would be way below median UGPA.

jsgrunwald

New

Post by jsgrunwald » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:03 pm

True. But I assume if he's in law school, it was good enough to get into whatever law school he's currently enrolled in.. I guess the biggest determination would be the degree. If it's a single degree in a soft..like Sociology..don't put it. If it's a tough science or engineering, it's probably worth it. So...guess that's a question for the OP to figure. (Or somehow write it like "3.7 cumulative GPA over 165 credits of writing- and research- intensive courses.")

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:09 pm

jsgrunwald wrote:
True. But I assume if he's in law school, it was good enough to get into whatever law school he's currently enrolled in.. I guess the biggest determination would be the degree. If it's a single degree in a soft..like Sociology..don't put it. If it's a tough science or engineering, it's probably worth it. So...guess that's a question for the OP to figure. (Or somehow write it like "3.7 cumulative GPA over 165 credits of writing- and research- intensive courses.")
It really depends on what job OP is applying for. For biglaw, most T14 students have better UG GPA, so there is no benefit putting it on the resume. Say OP is #1 at a T50. There is no reason to put a 3.7 out there because it will weaken his candidacy when viewed against T14 students (even ones with low LS rank). But if OP is competing with T3 law students for a job, then he should probably put it on there because it will be better than the other candidates and add to his strength.

That's why it's best to just put honor on there. It looks like an honor, and people can't figure out what you really got so they can compare.

.375 H&H Mag.

New

Post by .375 H&H Mag. » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:02 am

r6_philly wrote:
jsgrunwald wrote:
It really depends on what job OP is applying for. For biglaw, most T14 students have better UG GPA, so there is no benefit putting it on the resume. Say OP is #1 at a T50. There is no reason to put a 3.7 out there because it will weaken his candidacy when viewed against T14 students (even ones with low LS rank). But if OP is competing with T3 law students for a job, then he should probably put it on there because it will be better than the other candidates and add to his strength.

That's why it's best to just put honor on there. It looks like an honor, and people can't figure out what you really got so they can compare.
This just about sums it up. I'm at a T30, applying V10-V50, so I'll definitely be competing with the best and the brightest, who presumably had higher GPAs. Latin honors was a 3.8 at my undergrad, so I'll probably just leave it off, and stop fretting about such a minor point.
Thanks all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”