Law Schools Cut Admissions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Pate

Bronze

Law Schools Cut Admissions

Post by Pate » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 am

morally0bese

New

Re: Law Schools Cut Admissions

Post by morally0bese » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 am

"Still, most law schools aren't planning to shrink. They include Thomas M. Cooley Law School, the largest in the nation, with 3,700 students, and among the first to be sued over its job-placement numbers."

"Cooley 'isn't interested in reducing the size of its entering class on the basis of the perceived benefit to society,' says associate dean James Robb."

Pate

Bronze

Post by Pate » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:05 pm

A couple of stories to check out. . . second one is for facebook.

EDIT: Wonder if this data is true: Two out of three 2011 law school graduates did not get real legal jobs

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... chool.html

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pag ... 8152800236

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks for posting these article Pate. Good to see a Gator on here (go Canes!)

btw have you read the comments on the WSJ article. Doesn't make one feel great about our life choice.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Pate wrote:A couple of stories to check out. . . second one is for facebook.

EDIT: Wonder if this data is true: Two out of three 2011 law school graduates did not get real legal jobs

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... chool.html

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pag ... 8152800236
The "1 out of 3 real legal jobs" came from slopping together a bunch of numbers, many of which may not be alluding to the same thing. It might be right; it might be better or worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Interesting that the article points out that many universities are reluctant to cut class sizes in order to maintain profits. "Law schools are considered profit centers at many universities."

Pate

Bronze

Post by Pate » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

>
Last edited by Pate on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Pate wrote:A couple of stories to check out. . . second one is for facebook.

As mentioned above, the numbers might not necessarily apply to each other. The other issue I see with that article is that they are using data which covers all the law schools. Even the crappy ones with like 25% employment in full time bar required jobs... some names spring to mind (though I am not 100% on their actual job stats): Thomas Jefferson and Barry and Tuoro and Cooley and what have you.

If you are going to a T14/T1/Strong Regional T2 these numbers are probably not nearly as grim for you personally. If NALP excluded the bottom 50 law schools I bet the numbers would run like 50% employment even using the article's dubious methodology.

Pate

Bronze

Post by Pate » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:24 pm

+1. I think the message is, if you are willing to take the LS risk, only focus on Tier 1 on up.

I personally do not buy the premise that Law Schools are, or will be, notably cutting admissions. Chances are most of them will ride this crazed bubble as long as they can fill $eats. I do not see long waitlists on the lessor ranked schools, to me that means they are still herding in whomever shows up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Pate wrote:+1. I think the message is, if you are willing to take the LS risk, only focus on Tier 1 on up.

I personally do not buy the premise that Law Schools are, or will be, notably cutting admissions. Chances are most of them will ride this crazed bubble as long as they can fill $eats. I do not see long waitlists on the lessor ranked schools, to me that means they are still herding in whomever shows up.
It looks like some schools really are cutting back...
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... shall.html

However, it appears that most schools are not.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
Pate wrote:+1. I think the message is, if you are willing to take the LS risk, only focus on Tier 1 on up.

It looks like some schools really are cutting back...
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... shall.html

However, it appears that most schools are not.
i think I read about 10% are, somewhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”