VA Bar Exam Dress Code Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
layla

VA Bar Exam Dress Code Question

Postby layla » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 pm

How close to a suit do we have to be? It seems like jacket and tie are all that are required for men, and it says "dress or suit" for women. If I wear a dress and jacket, will I be ok? MUST I wear pantyhose or risk getting turned away? I apologize if this is already another thread (just point me to it). I searched but couldn't find an answer to the pantyhose question.

TTRansfer

Re: VA Bar Exam Dress Code Question

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Jesus, a suit needed for a bar exam? That is fucking shitty. I guess they are all like that. I never bothered to even figure that out since I'm still a full two more summers away from it.

layla

Postby layla » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Nope, just stay away from VA and you can take it in your PJs. I am still kicking myself for signing up for this (I will be in DC, so I could have done MD).

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

layla wrote:How close to a suit do we have to be? It seems like jacket and tie are all that are required for men, and it says "dress or suit" for women. If I wear a dress and jacket, will I be ok? MUST I wear pantyhose or risk getting turned away? I apologize if this is already another thread (just point me to it). I searched but couldn't find an answer to the pantyhose question.

this is real? it's awesome because it's so ridiculous. i have new respect for VA now.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 pm

What happens if you wear jeans or shorts? Do they kick you out?

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 pm

kalvano wrote:What happens if you wear jeans or shorts? Do they kick you out?

Based on the tone of this memo, probably...
http://www.vbbe.state.va.us/pdf/DressCode.pdf

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
kalvano wrote:What happens if you wear jeans or shorts? Do they kick you out?

Based on the tone of this memo, probably...
http://www.vbbe.state.va.us/pdf/DressCode.pdf

Wow how retarded

layla

Postby layla » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 pm

They like to scare people by circulating a story of an atty from NJ who showed up to take the bar in a leopard print suit and was turned away. I'm not sure I believe it, but no one wants anything bad to happen on bar day, so even a dubious story is enough to scare everyone straight.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I feel like a pantyhose requirement would be stated since pantyhose is an undergarment.

There is some state where you have to wear a suit but also must wear tennis shoes (so no noise in the room from walking). Is that VA? I can't remember which one it is.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:09 am

eandy wrote:I feel like a pantyhose requirement would be stated since pantyhose is an undergarment.

There is some state where you have to wear a suit but also must wear tennis shoes (so no noise in the room from walking). Is that VA? I can't remember which one it is.

Suit and tennis shoes is ridiculous. You must be mistaken, I hope anyway.

hooma

Postby hooma » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 am

Suit and tennis shoes is for real in Virginia, or at least it was. I was just talking to an attorney that graduated and took the bar exam with this guy that bought a plaid suit and the largest tennis shoes he could find for it; if they were going to make him dress like a clown, he wanted to take it the whole way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”