Best time to get married during LS?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shredderrrrrr

Best time to get married during LS?

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:54 am

Hey everyone! I got a quick question for you all.

My girlfriend and I just got engaged a few days ago and are trying to decide when would be the best time to get married (I start LS in August). I know there are a lot of threads about marriage during LS, but most I have found ask too specific of timeline questions (i.e. when during 1L should I get married, is it better to get married spring or summer, etc).

All I am curious to know is when is the most practical time to get married. I'm wanting to do it during the summer but don't know if the summer after 1L, 2L, or 3L would be best. All seem problematic (planning during 1L sounds dangerous, I will hopefully have some sort of internship during 2L summer, and hopefully a job after 3L) but we don't really like the idea of waiting 4 years (we've already been together 6).

Anyone have any experience/tips? Sorry for being such a noob, but I really have no clue what to expect with LS and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Thanks in advance for any help!

dixon02

Re: Best time to get married during LS?

Postby dixon02 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:06 am

Yeah, there's really no ideal time. I also got engaged right before law school. I didn't want to have to deal with wedding stuff during 1L, so we decided to get married after 2L. I have another friend a year older than me who did the same thing. In terms of time of the year, it starts to depend on some of the details. Do you want to go on a honeymoon immediately afterward? Is weather a factor? Also, your school's schedule comes into play as well. We have a long winter break, and a January wedding would have worked well, but we're getting married outside so it won't work. If waiting until the summer, waiting until after an SA is probably, IMO, easier than doing it in May and then going right to work. Just need to see if there is anything you need to be back early for and make sure you leave yourself time. Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions.

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Got engaged right before going to law school. Got married during winter break after fall semester of 3L. I think the best time to get married would be during a winter break because you are less likely to be employed during the winter break than you are over summer break. My reasoning was getting the wedding over before studying for the Bar full time in summer.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I think it depends on a lot of factors. If your fiance will do all the work, you have a lot of flexibility. If you are planning a wedding in the same city, even more flexibility. And you will have even more flexibility if you're willing to wait another time for a honeymoon in case it conflicts with a summer associate position. Luckily, I got married before law school. A couple of friends of mine got engaged towards the end of 1L year, but at least one of them is waiting until spring break of 3L year. I think a bad time for sure is waiting until after 3L when you have the bar to contend with.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 pm

I got married right before law school because I was worried about the timing. It does depend on a lot of things.

Are you in a big city area or a more rural area? If you're in a popular wedding spot or your fiancé wants a specific venue, then you might need to wait longer anyway. I had 15 months to plan and I was limited in the places/vendors I could find.

How involved are you going to be in the planning? It isn't so bad until the very end, because most things can be done on the weekends. You have sporadic meetings with people, but the last one or two weeks before is pretty intense and packed with last minute meetings.

Depending on when your school gets out, and whether you're doing a writing competition immediately afterwards, I'd say your best bet might be to start your 1L job immediately after your exams (if possible) and get married early next August, though you might have to put off a honeymoon for OCI. If you have a longer winter break, you could also do a wedding then.

Good luck!

MavEryck

Postby MavEryck » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi,

You've been together for 6 years.

What's the rush now? Why get married during law school?

My vote is wait until you're done with school and have passed the bar.

At that point you'll only have to contend with your job. Much easier.

My $.02

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Job will probably be worse lil breh. Marry her before she realizes how much of a dick law school makes you.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:36 pm

I got married during winter break 2L year. If you decide to do it during winter break, make sure you have a good strategy for dealing with wedding plans. I had so much going on it was difficult to balance it all. Getting married is obviously pretty distracting, so I would suggest finishing a semester or a year and see what your study schedule is like to see if it would even be feasible to plan a wedding with whatever free time you have.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm

The best time to get married is either after law school or before you begin law school.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:00 am

PDaddy wrote:The best time to get married is either after law school or before you begin law school.

One of the attorneys where I am working said that his friends that got married after graduation before the bar exam all flunked the bar.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 am

We got married the week after finals but 2 weeks before I started my SA. Since we didn't act like our wedding was the Diamond Jubilee, it was not a problem and didn't interfere with anything. People who tell you to wait to get married/have a baby/have major surgery until law school is over are almost always wrong.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:19 am

Best time is winter break or spring break during law school. Maybe 2L summer after your jerb would work if you can be flexible with the date. Don't try to do it 1L summer; the job search is too important.

Wedding planning really isn't that bad if you spread it out and don't stress about it. Do more work now yourself, and pass stuff to your fiance as exams approach.

caminante

Postby caminante » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:28 am

I don't know where you're going to school and if you have fin aid, but if your fiance has any assets or makes a significant amount of money and you are on fin aid, wait until after law school to get married. If I weren't married I'd probably be getting about $20k/ year extra in fin aid. Be warned!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 am

Wow, thanks for all the help! In response to some of the questions:

I'll be living in Des Moines, so it isn't a huge city but big by Iowa standards. I have a full ride scholarship that includes a $10,000/year stipend (to a school that I believe qualifies as a TTT by this site's standards), no debt, some financial assistance from my parents, and a girlfriend who just got a job offer as a teacher that pays about $45,000 before taxes. We obviously won't have tons of money but should be financially able to afford a wedding (especially when considering that our parents plan to contribute).

The idea of a winter wedding sounds great, but we were hoping to get married outside. Also, we have lots of old people in our family that would struggle with the inevitable winter ice and a lot of people traveling that could have problems getting in the terrible Iowa winters.

With this in mind, it sounds like 2L summer is our best bet? Assuming we plan for this and I (fingers crossed) have a job/internship that runs the length of the summer, are they usually flexible to allow for time off (1-2 weeks)? Obviously this varies by employer but I didn't know if there was a general consensus. My sister, for instance, said internships are super flexible but then again, she is an actuary and knows nothing about the legal profession in particular. I just hate taking time off from work (I fear like I look lazy or like a flake) and want to make sure to mitigate the negative consequences of it.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Wow, thanks for all the help! In response to some of the questions:

I'll be living in Des Moines, so it isn't a huge city but big by Iowa standards. I have a full ride scholarship that includes a $10,000/year stipend (to a school that I believe qualifies as a TTT by this site's standards), no debt, some financial assistance from my parents, and a girlfriend who just got a job offer as a teacher that pays about $45,000 before taxes. We obviously won't have tons of money but should be financially able to afford a wedding (especially when considering that our parents plan to contribute).

The idea of a winter wedding sounds great, but we were hoping to get married outside. Also, we have lots of old people in our family that would struggle with the inevitable winter ice and a lot of people traveling that could have problems getting in the terrible Iowa winters.

With this in mind, it sounds like 2L summer is our best bet? Assuming we plan for this and I (fingers crossed) have a job/internship that runs the length of the summer, are they usually flexible to allow for time off (1-2 weeks)? Obviously this varies by employer but I didn't know if there was a general consensus. My sister, for instance, said internships are super flexible but then again, she is an actuary and knows nothing about the legal profession in particular. I just hate taking time off from work (I fear like I look lazy or like a flake) and want to make sure to mitigate the negative consequences of it.

I'm a OL but i don't think asking off 2 weeks as a SA is a good idea. You only have a few weeks to begin with. Maybe try in the period of summer before a potential SA position would start?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:07 pm

No, SAs are not flexible. Wait til you get your SA dates (if you're working at a firm) and then set your wedding date. Most SAs have several weeks off before and after school.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Asking to take 1-2 weeks off from an SA position that is probably only 8-10 weeks long to begin with does not sound like a good idea to me.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Mid-August after your 2L SA is a pretty good time for a wedding. It gives you your 1L summer to plan a lot of the venue details, catering, etc. and a weekend between August 15th and the time your school normally starts is pretty safely not going to create conflict.

If you don't want to do that, immediately after graduation can also be good, because you'll have a good amount of time left after your honeymoon to study for the bar (or, schedule your honeymoon for after you take the bar).

Other times are doable, but I wouldn't recommend them.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Evidence of how clueless I am, I thought SA's lasted all summer. If there is time before and after, then no way would I ask for time off. I thought there was no break between school and work :oops:

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 am

I got engaged right before starting law school, and I'm getting married in 2 days. (1L summer). We opted to get married on a Saturday and NOT have a honeymoon until later on, so that I could keep my job prospects open. Since you're a dude, I'm guessing your fiance will be doing most of the planning, so that shouldn't be a huge issue. Depending on what kind of wedding you want, you'll probably have to book your venue in advance, which makes it hard to plan around SA schedules. Planning a wedding during finals/write on/everything else sucked, but I got most things taken care of before I started school in August (booking venue, picking dates, dress, etc), so it wasn't terrible.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:07 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Hey everyone! I got a quick question for you all.

My girlfriend and I just got engaged a few days ago and are trying to decide when would be the best time to get married (I start LS in August). I know there are a lot of threads about marriage during LS, but most I have found ask too specific of timeline questions (i.e. when during 1L should I get married, is it better to get married spring or summer, etc).

All I am curious to know is when is the most practical time to get married. I'm wanting to do it during the summer but don't know if the summer after 1L, 2L, or 3L would be best. All seem problematic (planning during 1L sounds dangerous, I will hopefully have some sort of internship during 2L summer, and hopefully a job after 3L) but we don't really like the idea of waiting 4 years (we've already been together 6).

Anyone have any experience/tips? Sorry for being such a noob, but I really have no clue what to expect with LS and don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Thanks in advance for any help!

Wait till you get an offer at the end of your 2L summer--to make sure that marriage is still a viable investment for her (j/k :lol: ). Then, schedule it anytime during the 3L fall when you're semi-blowing off 3L, taking pass/fail classes and seminars and dropping out of your commitments to student organizations, to celebrate.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”