LARGE difference between 1st and 2nd Semester Grades Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
abc12345675

Bronze

LARGE difference between 1st and 2nd Semester Grades

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 am

1L at a T2 (approximate rank of school is 65). First semester, I did horribly and got a 2.52 on a 3.0 scale. This semester, However, I got it up to 3.45.

This still brings me in at below the median of 3.0, but I'd venture to say this is highly unusual. Any tips on how to spin this to employers? I realize the 2.52 puts me well out of the running for jobs that a 3.45 does.........or does it? Think anybody would buy (the truth) that I really just had no idea what I was supposed to be doing on exams 1st semester? On top of that, I'm on 2 Journals and will hold a high board position on one starting in the Fall. Plus, I think there's a solid chance I will be selected for Law Review as part of the write on process that was just completed.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Re: LARGE difference between 1st and 2nd Semester Grades

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 am

There is another thread posted recently on this exact topic.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 am

Yes, I saw that thread. But seemed to me to be different situations. The other person was already at a 3.0 and didn't even rise .5..........I was well below and rose nearly 1.0.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 am

A quick forum search reveals two other threads that are the exact same as this. Can we please consolidate?

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 am

abc12345675 wrote:Yes, I saw that thread. But seemed to me to be different situations. The other person was already at a 3.0 and didn't even rise .5..........I was well below and rose nearly 1.0.
Second semester rise that pushes you up to median - seems fairly comparable, if not the same.

If anything, I'd argue lower first semester grades are more of a red flag than what that other poster had. A 2.52 is not good at all as you know. I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest, but I wouldn't say to anyone you just "didn't know how to take exams" at first, because plenty of people did, and I wouldn't want to hire the person who took longer to figure it out, because it suggests they are, um, slow(er)? Now, let me add that this only applies to your job search now - assuming you maintain the GPA, once you begin your career no one will care about the semester to semester variation - there is just so little to assess you by right now it may stand out.

In my mind, first semester 1L is what it is all about, next is 1L year, then just cum GPA - the field eventually evens and the solution mixes. But right out of the gate, the cream rises most notably. But that may just be personal preference - I like a strong showing out of the chute, and discount the inevitable "figuring it out" that occurs to most 2Ls. And a median GPA is a median GPA is a median GPA. You'll surely be able to highlight your improvement, but I find that only relevant in response to why your 1L first semster grades were so bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:25 pm

I doubt employers will bother to figure out what your GPA was after first semester, so that is irrelevant. There is also no reason that they would calculate what your 2nd semester GPA was in isolation, so that is largely irrelevant. They may notice that most of your good grades came later, but overall you are likely to be viewed as someone who got some good grades and some bad grades. Thus, (un?)fortunately, you are likely just going to be viewed as an around median student (not great not bad).

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I doubt employers will bother to figure out what your GPA was after first semester, so that is irrelevant. There is also no reason that they would calculate what your 2nd semester GPA was in isolation, so that is largely irrelevant. They may notice that most of your good grades came later, but overall you are likely to be viewed as someone who got some good grades and some bad grades. Thus, (un?)fortunately, you are likely just going to be viewed as an around median student (not great not bad).
Well, that is a whole heck of a lot better than where I was sitting after 1st semester so I guess I'll take it. OCI is largely irrelevant at my T2 anyway, or really in the market where my T2 is. I think 10 people out of 300 got jobs through OCI last year. As a result of that, most of the hiring is done as 3L so I'll have a couple more semesters to get above median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”