Outlier grade

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
transfer2014
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 am

Outlier grade

Postby transfer2014 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:08 pm

I've got a grade that is a huge outlier on my transcript. If I deserve it, i deserve it, but I'm really not sure how it happened. I'd like to make sure that it was not a mathematical error on the professor's part. Is it out of line to contact the professor and ask him to double check the math? To be clear, I am not asking him to regrade my exam, just to read up the points from before and make sure that they match what he had.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 pm

transfer2014 wrote:I've got a grade that is a huge outlier on my transcript. If I deserve it, i deserve it, but I'm really not sure how it happened. I'd like to make sure that it was not a mathematical error on the professor's part. Is it out of line to contact the professor and ask him to double check the math? To be clear, I am not asking him to regrade my exam, just to read up the points from before and make sure that they match what he had.

see if your school has some sort of procedure for exam review. if not, email the prof and ask to meet with him and go over the exam.

transfer2014
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 am

Re: Outlier grade

Postby transfer2014 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:14 pm

My school doesn't have any dispute procedure. Also, I'm looking at transferring and will not have the opportunity to go over it with him until after the deadline. Out of line to email him and ask him to check?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:20 pm

transfer2014 wrote:My school doesn't have any dispute procedure. Also, I'm looking at transferring and will not have the opportunity to go over it with him until after the deadline. Out of line to email him and ask him to check?

eh, in that case, go for it, as long as there's no rule specifically forbidding you from contacting professors about grades. just try to phrase it politely.

transfer2014
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 am

Re: Outlier grade

Postby transfer2014 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Hah yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to write an email which doesn't end with me coming across as a complete douche.

ajaxconstructions
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 am

Re: Outlier grade

Postby ajaxconstructions » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Crim was a shitshow. I had Ohlin also, and I thought I did really well, and I didn't do so hot. Accept it and move on.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1395
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:07 am

Happened to me in con law. Total outlier. It hurt. I went through denial, grief, then eventually, deciding my professor was a douche. You'll be ok, one day.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1395
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 am

transfer2014 wrote:Hah yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to write an email which doesn't end with me coming across as a complete douche.


That isn't possible, because no matter what you say, you will be a whiny little bitch. I know from experience, just resist the temptation, there is nothing you can do, let 'er go.

Here is what you will say in a nut shell.

You: "*sniffle*, are you sure?"

Prof: "Yeah (douche)."

Not saying you're a douche, but, that is what will happen.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 am

I'd call or walk into the professor's office instead of emailing. Easier to control for tone.

User avatar
LazinessPerSe
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 am

Re: Outlier grade

Postby LazinessPerSe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 am

Just make sure you walk in not expecting to get anything changed. Adjusting any 1 grade means the class median gets changed, which may bump it out of the mandatory range (ours is 2.8-3.0, for instance).

+1 on asking in person - it allows you complete control without coming across as a douche.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:31 am

I got an outlier grade too. It was shockingly below my average.

Grades for that class were released within one week of the exam. I was worried he had graded my test too quickly. He had a reputation for skimming when grading. I had heard of this reputation before taking the exam and I had decided to put a mini conclusion at the beginning and end of each question so that it was clear I had addressed all points. However, after meeting with him to go over the test, I got the distinct feeling that my strategy backfired.

For one of my questions, he said that I correctly mentioned a key point "in passing" but failed to elaborate further. However, there was an entire paragraph dedicated to that point in the middle of the essay. I'm dead certain he just read the mini conclusion at the beginning and immediately marked me down for not elaborating. When I pointed this out to him, he read the paragraph and quickly thought of something else I hadn't mentioned. That's when I realized it would be a fruitless effort to continue.

I would definitely have challenged it, but I'm not certain it would be the right decision given my situation. I don't want to give any more details, but I'd rather not make a fuss when my GPA is about to be wiped out anyway.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby wiseowl » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 am

I contacted the prof when I got a huge outlier and it actually was a mistake. I waited too long and it impacted my 1L summer job search.

Is the possibility of looking like a whiny douche worth a summer of lost income/transfer hampering/OCI impacts to you? You decide.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Outlier grade

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 am

I went and talked to three profs last semester because my grades knocked me on my ass. One of them did adjust up, the other two helped me understand what went wrong (one, tragic mismatch of how I communicate and how the prof communicates--what I said wasn't wrong, just how according to him; the other, found out the word limit wasn't enforced and so I couldn't put enough points on the board because I did follow the limits)

In conclusion, talk to the prof. There's nothing to lose by doing so.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby woeisme » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm a grad, PM me professor and I'll give you insight on what curves are like with that prof and maybe tailor advice on how to proceed

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby woeisme » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:44 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:I'd call or walk into the professor's office instead of emailing. Easier to control for tone.


Oh hai! An old familiar co-2011er!

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: Outlier grade

Postby uci2013 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 am

My 1L outlier grade ended up being deserved. With out school we can see the exam without going through the professor and this professor had a few model answers from actual exams on file as well. I could see how he scored points and it was a number of things in my case: A relatively easy exam so the curve was tight; One the question worth the most he was looking for an analysis of why certain issues did not apply, and I did not bring up issues that in my mind clearly did not apply. He was essentially looking for a go down the flow chart and hit on everything kind of response and I did not supply that. Where some issues I spotted that he wasn't looking for got me points, but only 1 point per issue - so the time/value wasn't there for the creative issue spotting if he wasn't looking for it.

Point being, the grade may be legit because you and the professor just were not on the same page. It happens. Part of the real world is giving your supervisors what they are looking for and giving the judges what they are looking for.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:09 am

woeisme wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:I'd call or walk into the professor's office instead of emailing. Easier to control for tone.


Oh hai! An old familiar co-2011er!


Is it weird that I remembered your stats and school choice immediately??

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby woeisme » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
woeisme wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:I'd call or walk into the professor's office instead of emailing. Easier to control for tone.


Oh hai! An old familiar co-2011er!


Is it weird that I remembered your stats and school choice immediately??


Nope! I remember yours too! I also met two of your classmates recently! Haha :-)

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 am

You've got me wondering who

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: Outlier grade

Postby woeisme » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:01 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:You've got me wondering who


PM me, then. Or I could PM you, but I like receiving mail... :mrgreen:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: electriklemon, Google Feedfetcher, hkh2220, Stubbazubba, wg6524 and 15 guests