Big rise between 1st + 2nd Semester Grades

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Big rise between 1st + 2nd Semester Grades

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:35 am

PennBull wrote:My main attack is bringing it up unsolicited. If you're asked about it, they want to hear a good answer for the improvement, which I'm sure there are several decent answers for. But if the employer doesn't care enough to ask, they're probably just looking at your grades as a whole for the year/don't care to hear any reason you have for the improvement. Bringing it up unprovoked I think is bad form.

I bring everything up unsolicited. They are not going to ask about stuff they don't know. I get jobs because people like how I market myself.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 am

r6_philly wrote:I bring everything up unsolicited. They are not going to ask about stuff they don't know. I get jobs because people like how I market myself.

Exactly! Marketing and how you spin it make all the difference.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:22 am

uci2013 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I bring everything up unsolicited. They are not going to ask about stuff they don't know. I get jobs because people like how I market myself.

Exactly! Marketing and how you spin it make all the difference.

But apparently only us oldies seasoned professionals understand this can pull this off.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:19 am

3.0 first semester, 3.8 second semester. Definitely helped me get interviews along with writing onto law review. I listed each semester's GPA next to my cumulative GPA on my resume. Still not good enough to land an SA gig this summer, but got far more interviews (incl. callbacks) than I would have otherwise.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:My main attack is bringing it up unsolicited. If you're asked about it, they want to hear a good answer for the improvement, which I'm sure there are several decent answers for. But if the employer doesn't care enough to ask, they're probably just looking at your grades as a whole for the year/don't care to hear any reason you have for the improvement. Bringing it up unprovoked I think is bad form.

I bring everything up unsolicited. They are not going to ask about stuff they don't know. I get jobs because people like how I market myself.

They'll know the difference between semesters, won't they? That's how our transcripts look.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:21 am

Bobby Dazzler wrote:3.0 first semester, 3.8 second semester. Definitely helped me get interviews along with writing onto law review. I listed each semester's GPA next to my cumulative GPA on my resume. Still not good enough to land an SA gig this summer, but got far more interviews (incl. callbacks) than I would have otherwise.

What school do you come from?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 pm

PennBull wrote:
They'll know the difference between semesters, won't they? That's how our transcripts look.

They might not look too close. My point is, it's something positive, then why not make sure they understand it. You are not stretching the truth, an improvement is an improvement. Ability to make improvements from one's mistakes is a great quality to possess.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 pm

2nd semester improvement can make a big diff for callbacks, got it. What about 2L improvement with 1L median grade suckage?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”