Old Supplements

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kess

Old Supplements

Postby Kess » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Hello TLS,

Would I be missing out on anything by ordering older version of supplements?

Also, would it be foolish to order supplements now for classes I have not yet started? For example, I know the professor and textbook I will be using for crim law. I have asked a few former students on what supplements they used and there does not seem to be consensus...

Thanks!

YYZ

Re: Old Supplements

Postby YYZ » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:45 pm

No, I don't think so, except for Civil Procedure. The CP rules change frequently with new SCOTUS decisions. I would splurge and buy the most recent edition of the supplements for CP.

You'll get lots of opinions on this, but I don't think you can go wrong with Examples and Explanations for each course. Also, for Civil Procedure, "Acing Civil Procedure" is a really great book.

I recommend buying the "case briefs" books that are keyed to your textbooks. They are helpful for gaining a basic understanding of the case before you read and brief it ---especially if the case is from the 1800's.

Kess

Postby Kess » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks... what are the chances a new "acing civ pro" will be out before this fall semester? lol

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:52 pm

I think you'll be OK buying the most current edition that's currently out there. No need to wait until school starts. I was just cautioning about buying older editions that may not have the most current rules from 2010 and 2011. In Civ Pro, the areas of Personal and Subject Matter Jurisdiction change frequently.

I would also tell you not to buy too many supplements before school starts. One, maybe two per course is enough. You just run out of time to study supplements in addition to your class notes.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Kess wrote:Thanks... what are the chances a new "acing civ pro" will be out before this fall semester? lol

whatever you do buy Richard freer's civ pro book! I think if you buy Richard freer's book and the E&E for civ pro that is all you would need to do great in that class. I bought the E&E for civ pro (very helpful), contracts (very helpful), torts (not helpful for my individual class cause we covered too much). I heard the E&E was bad for property and crim. If you have dressler case book for crim then any dressler supplement you buy will be golden and will make going to class unnecessary (at least for me). good luck, I did well my first year thats why im recommending these

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:
Kess wrote:Thanks... what are the chances a new "acing civ pro" will be out before this fall semester? lol

whatever you do buy Richard freer's civ pro book! I think if you buy Richard freer's book and the E&E for civ pro that is all you would need to do great in that class. I bought the E&E for civ pro (very helpful), contracts (very helpful), torts (not helpful for my individual class cause we covered too much). I heard the E&E was bad for property and crim. If you have dressler case book for crim then any dressler supplement you buy will be golden and will make going to class unnecessary (at least for me). good luck, I did well my first year thats why im recommending these

I'd definitely wait on the E&E for crim. My professor taught a lot of Model Penal Code, so the E&E was useless. In general, there's no real rush to get supplements. As a 1L, you'll get free Amazon Prime, which means you get can get just about any book you need within 2 days. I know there are plenty of threads on this, but I think the consensus (and my own view) is that it's a waste of time to do 0L prep from supplements. So my advice would be to see what professors you have and do a little research once you know what text you use.

That said, I agree that you can't go wrong getting the CivPro E&E. I actually found the Property E&E to be pretty useful, but only for stuff that's really well settled doctrine. You'll learn this soon enough, but Property (at least as its taught) is so common law heavy that any given supplement may not match up very well with what your professor is teaching. As far as the others, some thoughts on the remaining 1L supplements:

-Contracts: E&E was meh. I found it useful for practice problems with damages, but not too useful otherwise. I loved the Farnsworth hornbook.
-Torts: E&E was not very useful. Like Property, Torts is very common law dependent, so it may not match what your teacher is throwing out there (I also had a very idiosyncratic teacher)
-Crim: See above.
-ConLaw: Everyone says to get Chemerinsky, but my professor was so organized in his approach that I didn't refer to it all that much. But if I had a professor who was more in the weeds, it would have been useful. Like I said, it all depends on your professor.

Hope this helps.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Here's what I used, got good grades in everything except Fall Legal Writing...

Torts: E&E, 2005ish edition (Glannon, plz have my manchildren)

Civ Pro: Newest E&E / Glannon Guide (yes, they tend to repeat, BUT Glannon does Pleadings in the Glannon Guide while his Preclusion is much better in the E&E)

Property: E&E, 2005ish edition (returned rented casebook in Spring semester, read this like a bible + CALI lessons = A)

Contracts: E&E, 2005ish edition (I liked it because Blum also wrote our textbook so a lot of the stuff flowed perfectly)

CrimLaw: Borrowed GF's Understanding Crim = amazing. But used Libarary's E&E for practice questions.

I went to a T4 with great professors, but like anyone else ended up teaching a lot of stuff to myself through the E&Es. Notably, I quite literally taught Civ Pro, Property, and Torts all second semester to myself just by doing the E&Es.

Kess

Postby Kess » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for all the recs!

Also, I'm not trying to do any 0L prep with these books, but rather I was just trying to see if it would be wise to save some $$ by ordering used older editions of supplements now.

The crim book I'm using is Kadish.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Kess wrote:Thanks for all the recs!

Also, I'm not trying to do any 0L prep with these books, but rather I was just trying to see if it would be wise to save some $$ by ordering used older editions of supplements now.

The crim book I'm using is Kadish.

Kadish was an old edition as of last semester. It is less the book that matters, and more the professor, but perhaps the book choice indicates that there won't be cutting edge stuff in there. I used Kadish also, and the prof was all about the MPC, and I found that Dressler's supplement was very helpful. I didn't get my grade yet, so this may have been a bad move, but I bought the old edition of Dressler for eight bucks and it didn't seem to matter.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm

I had all the newest editions for my fall classes, but I know people who had older versions of Torts, Contracts, and Civ Pro who got about the same grades that I did. I think you can use them as long as you keep in mind that there has been a change in the law, which your professor will probably flag anyways because chances are your case book won't be 100% up to date if there has been a major change. If you are going to splurge on one newest-edition book I'd make it Civ Pro. I think with Torts in particular you'll be safe using the second most recent E&E.

Kess

Postby Kess » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Yeah, the kadish book is a new edition that comes out in the end of the month.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”