Big difference between 1st + 2nd Sem Grades Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Big difference between 1st + 2nd Sem Grades

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:17 pm

For the worse. How much does this hurt? Big as in like .3 or more.

gokumax

New

Re: Big difference between 1st + 2nd Sem Grades

Post by gokumax » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:09 am

Depends on the numbers.

For example if you had a 2.3 1st semester, and 2.0 this semester, and median at your school is 3.0 or something, then the drop in grades won't hurt, because your grades were already so low.

But if you went from, say 3.3 to a 3.0, it might make more of a difference.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:11 am

Going from top 10% to like median or slightly above.

PlessFightsFire

New

Post by PlessFightsFire » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:21 am

I mean it makes the difference of wherever you are now. If you were top 10 and now your top 25% then your prospects are those of someone in the top 25%. If you had something horrible happen in your personal life or something maybe you could paint it that way but you would have to get in the room first

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:05 am

That's good news then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 am

Cumulative GPA is what matters by far.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:14 am

5ky wrote:Cumulative GPA is what matters by far.
Generally, but I don't know. If you want to litigate but got a C in Civ Pro? That matters, big time.

Wooostl2012

New

Post by Wooostl2012 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:21 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Generally, but I don't know. If you want to litigate but got a C in Civ Pro? That matters, big time.
I think getting a C in anything would matter, even surrounded by A's, but I somehow doubt the particular class matters. Civ Pro the class has basically nothing to do with what a litigator is going to do for the first several years (at a big firm), and even if it did, I think a firm is more likely to attribute it to some fluke/failure to prepare/professor's style than some inherent inability to learn the concepts.

I think a C in contracts probably raises as many red flags for them as Civ Pro. So yeah, it matters big time, but why the hell would it matter that it's civ pro?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Generally, but I don't know. If you want to litigate but got a C in Civ Pro? That matters, big time.[/quote]

Don't give advice if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Wooostl2012 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
I think getting a C in anything would matter, even surrounded by A's, but I somehow doubt the particular class matters. Civ Pro the class has basically nothing to do with what a litigator is going to do for the first several years (at a big firm), and even if it did, I think a firm is more likely to attribute it to some fluke/failure to prepare/professor's style than some inherent inability to learn the concepts.

I think a C in contracts probably raises as many red flags for them as Civ Pro. So yeah, it matters big time, but why the hell would it matter that it's civ pro?
Can anybody verify whether a C in any particular class matters? This post says the particular class matters, then says a C in contracts might raise red flags. I'm confused (especially since I bombed contracts).

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:30 pm

KMaine wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Generally, but I don't know. If you want to litigate but got a C in Civ Pro? That matters, big time.[/quote]

Don't give advice if you have no idea what you are talking about.[/b]

So enlighten me, oh short but derisive one. Tell me about your litigation practice experience, and how litigation hiring partners faced with equal resumes won't look to the relevant doctrinal classes to distinguish applicants. :roll:

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Cumulative GPA is the thing that matters most. Specific doctrinal class grades may matter as tiebreakers or if you are seeking to join a specific practice area and you have a terrible/great grade in that area. Specific doctrinal class grades can definitely matter for clerkships but which classes are important will depend on the judge.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:02 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
So enlighten me, oh short but derisive one. Tell me about your litigation practice experience, and how litigation hiring partners faced with equal resumes won't look to the relevant doctrinal classes to distinguish applicants. :roll:
I am doing trial work almost exclusively for this summer, and my civ pro is almost irrelevant to the work. Civ pro was also my lowest grade.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”