How to use hornbook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
victortsoi

How to use hornbook

Postby victortsoi » Sun May 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Hello all.

Simply, I am curious as to whether you read the hornbook straight, or look up cases as they come up in the casebook?

Thanks in advance...

lawyerwannabe

Re: How to use hornbook

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun May 27, 2012 4:58 pm

victortsoi wrote:Hello all.

Simply, I am curious as to whether you read the hornbook straight, or look up cases as they come up in the casebook?

Thanks in advance...

I generally would read the sections that we covered in class, paying special attention to the parts where cases that were covered in class were mentioned but still reading the entire section so I could better understand the material.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sun May 27, 2012 6:50 pm

I guess the root of my problem is that I'm having a hard time lining up the Farnsworth hornbook to the Dawson casebook in contracts....

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun May 27, 2012 7:26 pm

the few times i used a hornbook (conlaw) i'd say i first read only the individual cases. then, near the end of the semester when it doesn't really matter what order you learn anything anymore, i just read through entire sections.

gokumax

Postby gokumax » Sun May 27, 2012 8:32 pm

I simply use hornbooks as reference materials. It doesn't help me to read through them straight, as they contain some material that the professor won't ever go over in class and that won't be tested.

For me, hornbooks are only useful when I need to clarify confusing or complex material that I have encountered in class or through the casebook. Come exam time, I simply use commercial outlines in lieu of hornbooks.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Step 1: read casebook, take some notes
Step 2: read hornbook, take some notes
Step 3: go to class, take some notes,
Step 4: use what professor says, synthesize everything, put into outline, delete notes (or put them in a separate doc so you don't get overloaded).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am

2LOL schedule for me

Step 1: skim reading
Step 2: go to class and take notes
Step 3: consult hornbook for stuff that wasn't clear during class (sometimes unnecessary)
Step 4: make outlines
Step 5: do PTs
Step 6: exam

I did more 2LOL work than some here.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”