99% dropping out

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTTLS

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby TTTLS » Fri May 25, 2012 1:58 am

ilovesf wrote:All of my friends who majored in engineering in college got jobs right out of school. As far as I can tell, it's one of the few markets that's doing pretty well. If you hate law, don't study it. Do something you enjoy instead.
There are too many lawyers in America and not enough engineers. Engineering is TCR.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:00 am

TTTLS wrote:
ilovesf wrote:All of my friends who majored in engineering in college got jobs right out of school. As far as I can tell, it's one of the few markets that's doing pretty well. If you hate law, don't study it. Do something you enjoy instead.
There are too many lawyers in America and not enough engineers. Engineering is TCR.

Summon Rayiner?

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri May 25, 2012 2:01 am

TTTLS wrote:

Computer, Engineering, and Mechanical do alright.

I did Civil Engineering in undergrad, and the economy took a large toll on hiring. A lot of people I graduated with had a tough time finding a job and a decent portion of them opted to go to grad school to wait it out. Others got really crappy jobs. If you do go to engineering, EE or Software engineering is a better bet.

Hope that helps.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Fri May 25, 2012 2:06 am

RedBirds2011 wrote:
TTTLS wrote:

Summon Rayiner?

Yes. Summon Rayiner.

Percentage of engineering grads in US: 4%.
Percentage of engineering grads in China: 33%.

The demand for engineers in the US is damn high. We are getting PWNED by China and things need to change. Mechanical engineering is the way to go.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Fri May 25, 2012 2:14 am

TTTLS wrote:Mechanical engineering is the way to go.

Also in favor of being a MechE: My buddy graduated from a well-ranked engineering school in May 2011, having done pretty well. By August, he was supervising a bunch of people at the company he works for.. And the best part? HE IS CURRENTLY BUILDING A ROLLER COASTER.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri May 25, 2012 2:20 am

bartleby wrote:i'm like semi-old at 25 ...

Huh? There are people in their late-30's and even pushing 50 who pursue law degrees. You are a young law student. If you want to finish in 10 years or so, give it another go. If the cost is managable, I wouldn't drop out if I were you. A JD is still a valuable thing to have in any profession. Lots of people getting JD's do not practice law - at least not in the traditional sense (law firm, shingle, etc.). That trend is increasing. That having been said, your youth bodes well for you.

Just think long and hard before you quit and figure out too late that you were just tired and ultimately regret your decision.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 am

peace out, bro....The less people during OCI the better.....

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri May 25, 2012 9:55 am

togepi wrote:
TTTLS wrote:

I did Civil Engineering in undergrad, and the economy took a large toll on hiring. A lot of people I graduated with had a tough time finding a job and a decent portion of them opted to go to grad school to wait it out. Others got really crappy jobs. If you do go to engineering, EE or Software engineering is a better bet.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, most of my friends did mech-e or EE or BME, some did civil though. They're all doing pretty well. The only one who didn't get a job opted not to apply to any and started his own design company.

chem

Postby chem » Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 am

ilovesf wrote:
togepi wrote:
TTTLS wrote:

Hope that helps.

Yeah, most of my friends did mech-e or EE or BME, some did civil though. They're all doing pretty well. The only one who didn't get a job opted not to apply to any and started his own design company.

I can chime in and say that every ChemE that has graduated from my school for the past 5 years have gotten a job. Probably goes back farther than that, but I wasnt there so I wouldnt know

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 am

I know a number of civil engineers having a difficult time finding employment and there is a diminishing rate of returns conferred by an engineering degree over time (most top out at around $200k). I would stick it out personally. One year will not kill you despite what the incendiary elitists on here may tell you. Also, if you have something lined up this summer and you perform well connections can often times supersede grades. I know people at V10s who weren't top 25-50% of there class and are still doing ok. Stick it out. Just my two cents.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am

There is no reason to go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer.

Postby 2014 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:03 pm

The 5-6 engineering grads I know from the last 2-3 years have all found lucrative employment though admittedly I don't know anyone who did Civil.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 pm

right, i'm not saying getting an engineering degree (or pursuing one) is a golden ticket to boatloads of cash. i actually did way better than i thought this semester but i'm glad my first grade was undesirable because it let me think. i'm not ancient either but i don't want to be almost 30 w/ 70k debt, no work experience, and no real skill-- not to say legal writing or exam spotting isn't a skill... ... ...

i feel really good about my decision, i only hope i do not lurk around these boards too often when i'm (1) not a law student anymore and (2) not mass posting info to dissuade others from goin to law school

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

if it makes you feel better you won't have any skills with a BSEE either

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 pm

I thought engineering was great but I definitely had classmates who disliked it or otherwise couldn't hack it. If you enjoy math you will probably do well.

Generally I feel like more people drop out of engineering school than law school.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:48 pm

-edited for being an idiot-

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Not much of what you do in school will reflect what you do as a lawyer.

I hear that a lot. But so what? We don't get hired based on our unknown potential, we get hired based on grades and connections. What if I have mediocre grades and maybe 1-2 workable connections? I can socialize and find connections, but I don't think going through two more years of LS is worth the risk. What do y'all think?

Also, I don't hate the law as much as the OP, I'm just "it's alright if I get it." OP, at least your grades were good!

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Metaread wrote:
kalvano wrote:Not much of what you do in school will reflect what you do as a lawyer.

I hear that a lot. But so what? We don't get hired based on our unknown potential, we get hired based on grades and connections. What if I have mediocre grades and maybe 1-2 workable connections? I can socialize and find connections, but I don't think going through two more years of LS is worth the risk. What do y'all think?

Also, I don't hate the law as much as the OP, I'm just "it's alright if I get it." OP, at least your grades were good!

If you are paying sticker and you won't be finding a job to service your debt, then what do you think you should do? Why would you stay? (not rhetorical - please answer, why would you stay?) You need to have a job. If there aren't any for you, then staying just to finish makes no sense to me.

This is your decision, but think hard about the rest of your life. You can recover from one year of debt or even one year and one semester of debt, but you can't recover from 3 years of debt. If you were an expert financial adviser, what would you tell someone in your position to do?

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:09 pm

sunynp wrote:
Metaread wrote:

If you are paying sticker and you won't be finding a job to service your debt, then what do you think you should do? Why would you stay? (not rhetorical - please answer, why would you stay?) You need to have a job. If there aren't any for you, then staying just to finish makes no sense to me.

This is your decision, but think hard about the rest of your life. You can recover from one year of debt or even one year and one semester of debt, but you can't recover from 3 years of debt. If you were an expert financial adviser, what would you tell someone in your position to do?

Not paying sticker. Law is alright. I have other interests, but if I go into those I would probably not have a job for a while--graduate school. If I couldn't find a job and my grades continued to suck, then yes, I would drop out. At the moment I'm really not sure though. After looking at my school's placement over the last 2 years it looks like with my GPA I could either not get a job, get a decent job, or get a sucky job. It's really hard to tell why some 3Ls with mediocre grades got decent jobs and other 3Ls with good grades got no jobs or sucky jobs. ATM it looks like placement comes down to connections. If you have connections or go to HYS then you'll be alright, unless you're in the bottom 10% as far as I know.

I'm not an expert financial adviser, but I'd tell everyone not to go to law school. ITE it isn't worth the risk. I don't know whether to go or stay though.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Metaread wrote:
sunynp wrote:
Metaread wrote:

Not paying sticker. Law is alright. I have other interests, but if I go into those I would probably not have a job for a while--graduate school. If I couldn't find a job and my grades continued to suck, then yes, I would drop out. At the moment I'm really not sure though. After looking at my school's placement over the last 2 years it looks like with my GPA I could either not get a job, get a decent job, or get a sucky job. It's really hard to tell why some 3Ls with mediocre grades got decent jobs and other 3Ls with good grades got no jobs or sucky jobs. ATM it looks like placement comes down to connections. If you have connections or go to HYS then you'll be alright, unless you're in the bottom 10% as far as I know.

I'm not an expert financial adviser, but I'd tell everyone not to go to law school. ITE it isn't worth the risk. I don't know whether to go or stay though.

Maybe you should put more effort into finding out what your job prospects are. Start a thread about getting jobs from your school. People here might be able to give you some insight.

lynch

Postby lynch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:36 am

Good luck! Just think about it 10 times more. Before deciding.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I hope UH didn't drive this decision. Whatever you end up doing, trust your judgement. Don't look back.

Engineering degrees get you jobs if you have the grades. 2.x averages do not land you jobs (from my observations).

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 am

TITCR

I'm currently top 10% of my class, in debt, and doing unpaid govt work this summer; my best friend from college got a degree in Electrical Engineering with below median grades and is making $85k debt free. If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't do it. You got out cheap and engineering is always a strong market.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”