99% dropping out

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

99% dropping out

Postby bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 1:05 am

chalk me up as a drop out already. three grades left. i predict LRW: B- Con: ? Prop: ?

another median and slightly above median shit grades released. our median is a B though. best case scenario, I'm in the top 20% (B-, A-, A-). Worst case scenario, I drop below median (B-, B-, B-). Most likely...I'll just be stuck in no man's land at around 30-35%. F this.

i cannot do this for another 2 years. to haul ass to get median grades. going to get an engineering degree. maybe i'll finish up law school later or something but I need some stability or some craft or skill.

this is the part where you guys tell me engineers have it tough too.

20k debt - 95% of it was from my excessive living habits because my scholarship was so front-loaded. in the next two years, i'll be in for 45k in tuition alone. with gas prices, assuming I commute, I'm looking at 80k, no concrete job prospects, and no real skills. i went to career services today, enrolled in summer math classes, and crunched the numbers. it'll be around 20k and 2 years for e.e.

it bruises the ego but whats happened has happened and it was fun while it lasted.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby TTTLS » Thu May 24, 2012 1:07 am

I did not get a CALI award.

I am the 99%.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby fatduck » Thu May 24, 2012 1:08 am

meaningless without your school

but just drop out

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 am

bartleby wrote:chalk me up as a drop out already. three grades left. i predict LRW: B- Con: ? Prop: ?

another median and slightly above median shit grades released. our median is a B though. best case scenario, I'm in the top 20% (B-, A-, A-). Worst case scenario, I drop below median (B-, B-, B-). Most likely...I'll just be stuck in no man's land at around 30-35%. F this.

i cannot do this for another 2 years. to haul ass to get median grades. going to get an engineering degree. maybe i'll finish up law school later or something but I need some stability or some craft or skill.

this is the part where you guys tell me engineers have it tough too.

20k debt - 95% of it was from my excessive living habits because my scholarship was so front-loaded. in the next two years, i'll be in for 45k in tuition alone. with gas prices, assuming I commute, I'm looking at 80k, no concrete job prospects, and no real skills. i went to career services today, enrolled in summer math classes, and crunched the numbers. it'll be around 20k and 2 years for e.e.

it bruises the ego but whats happened has happened and it was fun while it lasted.


Hey bud, don't be so hard on yourself. You tried your best this semester, and it may well yet be salvaged. What kind of school are you at? Do you have a summer job? Do you have connections in your desired city? Do you even want to be a lawyer?

Don't make a rash decision you will regret.

If you're serious about dropping out and need someone to talk to, send me a PM. I've done it and lived to tell the tale.

No matter what you decide, it's going to be okay.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 am

school is UH. super underrated school by the way. a lot of 1Ls with summers paying market.

i have no idea what an A looks like. but mostly my reasons for dropping out is...

1. i don't think i ever want to practice law. ever.
2. this B barrage is messing with my confidence. i had one super shit grade last semester and i haven't gotten over it.
3. the final exam counting for 100% of your grade is not tailored to my strengths. i just panic with the time crunch. i know life will be stressful in the future, but i'm just not performing well enough in that scenario.

i'm done though and feel pretty good for the first time in 6 months. i basically got a 1 year semi-free sample of law school and can chalk this one up as another failure.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 1:14 am

yeah not a rash decision. thought about it for awhile. mostly: will i ever live the rest of my life wondering if i should have finished my last two years of law school and gone down that road?

and the answer is no. whereas i probably would have asked that if i decided never to go to law school. do i feel happy about taking classes with 19-20 year olds? the answer is also no. but i have two paper humanities degrees and i don't need a paper jd.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu May 24, 2012 1:14 am

bartleby wrote:school is UH. super underrated school by the way. a lot of 1Ls with summers paying market.

i have no idea what an A looks like. but mostly my reasons for dropping out is...

1. i don't think i ever want to practice law. ever.
2. this B barrage is messing with my confidence. i had one super shit grade last semester and i haven't gotten over it.
3. the final exam counting for 100% of your grade is not tailored to my strengths. i just panic with the time crunch. i know life will be stressful in the future, but i'm just not performing well enough in that scenario.

i'm done though and feel pretty good for the first time in 6 months. i basically got a 1 year semi-free sample of law school and can chalk this one up as another failure.


#1 is all you need to say. Law's just not for you. But it doesn't mean you're a failure. Promise.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby fatduck » Thu May 24, 2012 1:14 am

failing at law school isn't that big a deal, man. sounds like you did it pretty cheaply, too. life is full of failure - if it isn't, you're doing something wrong.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:15 am

What are you doing this summer? You might as well stick out whatever you have lined up for the summer to see if it is something you want to pursue as a career. Or it could just give you more insight into what a legal career might be like.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 am

pinkcamellia wrote:
bartleby wrote:school is UH. super underrated school by the way. a lot of 1Ls with summers paying market.

i have no idea what an A looks like. but mostly my reasons for dropping out is...

1. i don't think i ever want to practice law. ever.
2. this B barrage is messing with my confidence. i had one super shit grade last semester and i haven't gotten over it.
3. the final exam counting for 100% of your grade is not tailored to my strengths. i just panic with the time crunch. i know life will be stressful in the future, but i'm just not performing well enough in that scenario.

i'm done though and feel pretty good for the first time in 6 months. i basically got a 1 year semi-free sample of law school and can chalk this one up as another failure.


#1 is all you need to say. Law's just not for you. But it doesn't mean you're a failure. Promise.


I agree. Dropping out does not mean you are a failure. Most lawyers I meet tell me to drop out all the time, including friends. If you hate it, you will have made a good decision because if you don't like practicing, it just goes downhill from there.

After all, almost every job gets old after awhile. Better to learn you don't like it now then wake up at 50 years old one day and wonder what you've done with your life.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 1:22 am

TLS SUPPORT GROUPPP. nah thanks, i appreciate it. i'm ra-ing. it is super chill and i'm gonna stick it out but take physics I and II at a community college so i can satisfy some electrical engineering prereqs - already have chem 1 and chem 2 and cal 1 and cal 2. i'm just looking forward to no more fact patterns.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby LSATNightmares » Thu May 24, 2012 6:31 am

I think law school is humbling for everyone. My GPA has been in steady decline since high school, even though I put in more hours. I wouldn't assume you are only going to get an A- at best. These things can surprise you sometimes. Also, engineering is even more humbling, and sometimes engineering grads struggle to find jobs, too. I would switch if it's engineering that you honestly and truly want to do, even if you got good grades.

Btw, some of your UH students have gone on to do great things even though they don't practice law. I was college friends with a girl who is now a Hawaii state representative (she graduated from UH a few years ago). I don't think that counts as practicing law. If you love policy or advocacy, stick at it.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:45 am

All of my friends who majored in engineering in college got jobs right out of school. As far as I can tell, it's one of the few markets that's doing pretty well. If you hate law, don't study it. Do something you enjoy instead.

User avatar
Map Cat
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby Map Cat » Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 am

pinkcamellia wrote:
bartleby wrote:school is UH. super underrated school by the way. a lot of 1Ls with summers paying market.

i have no idea what an A looks like. but mostly my reasons for dropping out is...

1. i don't think i ever want to practice law. ever.
2. this B barrage is messing with my confidence. i had one super shit grade last semester and i haven't gotten over it.
3. the final exam counting for 100% of your grade is not tailored to my strengths. i just panic with the time crunch. i know life will be stressful in the future, but i'm just not performing well enough in that scenario.

i'm done though and feel pretty good for the first time in 6 months. i basically got a 1 year semi-free sample of law school and can chalk this one up as another failure.


#1 is all you need to say. Law's just not for you. But it doesn't mean you're a failure. Promise.


+1

Different strokes.

P.S. OP, engineering is okay right now. I live in a huge engineering area and while the jobs pay well, they aren't terribly stable right now (budget cuts, lack of contracts). In my experience, the market for GIS is even better and can get you to comparable places in terms of a career and salary. I know 25 people that graduated with GIS degrees in the last two years, and 22 had job offers before they even graduated (the other 3 were lazy fucks) doing things like oil reserve mapping and defense contracting. All are making >55K right out of UG. Just a thought.
Last edited by Map Cat on Thu May 24, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby jkpolk » Thu May 24, 2012 9:52 am

bartleby wrote:TLS SUPPORT GROUPPP. nah thanks, i appreciate it. i'm ra-ing. it is super chill and i'm gonna stick it out but take physics I and II at a community college so i can satisfy some electrical engineering prereqs - already have chem 1 and chem 2 and cal 1 and cal 2. i'm just looking forward to no more fact patterns.


I think I like you. Best of luck!

User avatar
togepi
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby togepi » Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 am

If a barrage of B's messes with your confidence, I'd reconsider doing electrical engineering. I did civil engineering which is considered a lot easier, and coming from high school with almost a 4.0, I got used to Cs, Ds, and Fs pretty quickly. There's a lot of weed out classes and many professors keep the average at a C and have no qualms with failing people.

But if law is not for you and you're 100% sure you don't want to do it then drop out. You could always finish law school and find a job and work for a few years and then get your EE degree and do some patent work for EE.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby zonto » Thu May 24, 2012 11:17 am

You could also consider computer science as another course. I find a lot of similarities with the logic structure and reasoning, just with code instead of fact patterns. I actually changed from computer engineering to English (and now law) because I was more comfortable with English than code.

Job market seems pretty solid too, and you don't have to take all the crazy math/physics classes that engineers take.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby kalvano » Thu May 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Go to the SMU Guildhall program, learn how to program video games, and get a $100K+ a year job on graduation.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 pm

my last two grades for prop and con law turned out to be a pair of A-'s, just got them now, both 4 hour classes. this just verifies how much i hate law school exams. i was the most prepared for my first two classes and got the B treatment and for property, in which i used up all 8 of my absences and didn't know what the F an easement was until the day before, i get my first pseudo A...

told dean i was taking a leave of absence today though...

either way, i think i want out. only chance i'll reconsider is if i get the A in lrw but only 1 person in the class gets an A and i don't know how to cite

dunzo

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby de5igual » Thu May 24, 2012 3:30 pm

bartleby wrote: best case scenario, I'm in the top 20% (B-, A-, A-).


bartleby wrote:my last two grades for prop and con law turned out to be a pair of A-'s, just got them now, both 4 hour classes. this just verifies how much i hate law school exams. i was the most prepared for my first two classes and got the B treatment and for property, in which i used up all 8 of my absences and didn't know what the F an easement was until the day before, i get my first pseudo A...

told dean i was taking a leave of absence today though...

either way, i think i want out. only chance i'll reconsider is if i get the A in lrw but only 1 person in the class gets an A and i don't know how to cite

dunzo


so does this mean you're pretty much in the top 20% (assuming worst case B- in LRW?)

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 3:35 pm

my bad, it was A, A for best case scenario. i will at least pause and think if i'm top 25% but i'm now at 95% dropping out

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby kalvano » Thu May 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Not much of what you do in school will reflect what you do as a lawyer.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 3:49 pm

yeah i just don't want to be a lawyer. if i feel the itch, i'll finish it out later. i'm like semi-old at 25 and while it isn't my last chance to pursue something new...it is pretty close.

User avatar
togepi
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 am

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby togepi » Fri May 25, 2012 1:02 am

kalvano wrote:Go to the SMU Guildhall program, learn how to program video games, and get a $100K+ a year job on graduation.


What are the prerequisites for that? :)

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: 99% dropping out

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:04 am

kalvano wrote:Not much of what you do in school will reflect what you do as a lawyer.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], cavalier1138 and 2 guests