Kaplan MBE Final Review?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Outlawed

Kaplan MBE Final Review?

Postby Outlawed » Tue May 22, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm thinking about supplementing my BarBri prep with Kaplan's MBE Final Review. Has anyone taken this course before? Thoughts on it? I've heard that BarBri's practice MBE questions are not that similar to the actual MBE questions. What are some other options? Someone mentioned to me that the NCBEX has actual questions on its website that it licenses, but I heard those questions are outdated. Please let me know. Thanks!

NotMyRealName09

Re: Kaplan MBE Final Review?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 pm

I can't say from personal experience, but my understanding is it used to be common place to take both barbri and kaplan. I took the bar summer of 2010, and I have to say the Barbri MC questions prepared me just fine. If anything, they are more difficult - which is a GOOD thing, because you learn what you did wrong, and easier questions become all the more easier.

So I don't think its necessary, and frankly don't know how the hell you will have any time for it. Barbri is great at what they do. I don't work for them - they just helped me pass the bar the first time.

Outlawed

Postby Outlawed » Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 am

Fair enough. I get the impression from a few previous bar takers (and passers) that the BarBri MBEs are easier than the actual bar and that the Kaplan MBEs are more difficult. It's definitely a struggle to keep up with the BarBri schedule, but I'm determined to fit in all of their homework plus non-BarBri MBEs on the side, just to make sure I don't have to repeat the bar.

Do others have thoughts on Kaplan's MBE bootcamp? I'm looking to make a decision soon because their price inflates $150 soon. Please let me know. Thanks!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed May 23, 2012 6:11 am

I am currently bar prepping, so I have no personal knowledge yet. But I did talk to a ton of recent bar takers before signing up for classes, and here's the general message I took away from my research:

If you are going to a firm that will pay for it, you might as well do the final review. But, if you are paying for it yourself it's probably not worth it unless you are a super-anxious test taker and taking another exam under simulated conditions will help you mentally.

cabartaker13

Postby cabartaker13 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should do Kaplan practice MBEs to supplement BabBri MPQ2 or do Kaplan instead of Barbri's MPQ2 since I have already done BarBri's MPQ1?

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:08 am

I've been going through MPQ2. Should be done by the end of the week. It's been helpful. Certainly way kinder that sets 5 and 6 of all the MPQ1 books. It's not that you feel they are "easier" really, because they test a lot of nuanced stuff and I have picked up a lot of things along the way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”