Huge drop in Spring Grades

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nh85232

Huge drop in Spring Grades

Postby nh85232 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 pm

1L at one of CCNMVP. I did great first semester (A's and A-'s only, ending up around 3.7). Had a really rough second semester (personal stuff) and ended up with straight B-'s. Absolutely stunned and heartbroken. Am I SOL for finding a job now?

Update: my background is EE and I was hoping to do patent prosecution.

Re: Huge drop in Spring Grades

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

nh85232 wrote:1L at one of CCNMVP. I did great first semester (A's and A-'s only, ending up around 3.7). Had a really rough second semester (personal stuff) and ended up with straight B-'s. Absolutely stunned and heartbroken. Am I SOL for finding a job now?

Prepare for the wtf happened question at oci (and I assume the patent fair).

Is your median B+?

A 3.15 wont sink you at most prosecution shops. But they are going to wonder if you are a slacker.

Is it a respectable personal reason like your mom died, or something shameful like getting cucked.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Is it a respectable personal reason like your mom died, or something shameful like getting cucked.

titcq

nh85232

Postby nh85232 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nh85232 wrote:1L at one of CCNMVP. I did great first semester (A's and A-'s only, ending up around 3.7). Had a really rough second semester (personal stuff) and ended up with straight B-'s. Absolutely stunned and heartbroken. Am I SOL for finding a job now?

Prepare for the wtf happened question at oci (and I assume the patent fair).

Is your median B+?

A 3.15 wont sink you at most prosecution shops. But they are going to wonder if you are a slacker.

Is it a respectable personal reason like your mom died, or something shameful like getting cucked.

Yes, median is B+. It's not a very good reason - my dog got sick, and it was really difficult to take care of him without a car. It really threw off the beginning of my semester and I was never really able to bring things back.

I also have 4 years of work experience (in EE) at a pretty big company, if that helps. With stellar recs from work, but I doubt firms care enough to check those.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Well never tell anyone that excuse because its the worst i've ever heard. Seriously, that's a terrible excuse.

How were your EE UG grades. Patent shops value those more than law moony times.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 pm

I've heard worst excuses, and while I'm sympathetic, it really doesn't justify a drop from As to B-s.

So, yeah, I wouldn't mention that. I mean, if your dog getting sick affects your work performance that badly, what about when your kid gets sick? Or your parents die? Or you get diagnosed with diabetes?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 23, 2012 3:57 am

nh85232 wrote:Yes, median is B+. It's not a very good reason - my dog got sick, and it was really difficult to take care of him without a car. It really threw off the beginning of my semester and I was never really able to bring things back.

Do not tell firms this ridiculous reason.

nh85232

Postby nh85232 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:12 am

I know, I'm really not planning to tell anyone that excuse. I also don't really know what to say at all. At the moment I'm just terrified of being jobless.

uiucillini23

Postby uiucillini23 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:55 am

nh85232 wrote:I know, I'm really not planning to tell anyone that excuse. I also don't really know what to say at all. At the moment I'm just terrified of being jobless.

doesn't everyone above median or near median in ccnmvp get something? just be confident in yourself. do a tremendous amount of research on the firms that you love. this will really separate you from the other people who just trudge in to talk to the firm. also, if you have a specific firm in mind, why not go out and ask some of the alums out for a cup of coffee. there are so many stories of how kids get biglaw jobs by networking even if they don't have the grades to show for it. if the alums like you enough, they'll make sure you bypass oci and go straight to a callback. once you get the callback, they'll likely focus on whether or not you're a good fit. trust in yourself and be confident. i'm sure you'll do just fine.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon May 28, 2012 1:32 am

nh85232 wrote:I know, I'm really not planning to tell anyone that excuse. I also don't really know what to say at all. At the moment I'm just terrified of being jobless.

Be as vague as possible when talking to firms. When they ask you what happened, just say something like 'family matters/complications...it's over now and I'm fully focused on school again..' If it really was your dog that threw you off:

a) You are a big pussy, but
b) Your 2L grades will return to normal

clevermoose

Postby clevermoose » Mon May 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Cade McNown wrote:

Be as vague as possible when talking to firms. When they ask you what happened, just say something like 'family matters/complications...it's over now and I'm fully focused on school again..' If it really was your dog that threw you off:

a) You are a big pussy, but
b) Your 2L grades will return to normal

Don't worry OP, I'm with you! I <3 my dog so much that if she got really sick I'd tend to her first. I wish you the best of luck, but with your background/grades/school, you are probably still just fine!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 28, 2012 12:58 pm

uiucillini23 wrote:

doesn't everyone above median or near median in ccnmvp get something? just be confident in yourself. do a tremendous amount of research on the firms that you love. this will really separate you from the other people who just trudge in to talk to the firm. also, if you have a specific firm in mind, why not go out and ask some of the alums out for a cup of coffee. there are so many stories of how kids get biglaw jobs by networking even if they don't have the grades to show for it. if the alums like you enough, they'll make sure you bypass oci and go straight to a callback. once you get the callback, they'll likely focus on whether or not you're a good fit. trust in yourself and be confident. i'm sure you'll do just fine.

It's not clear what people at M or V get, since their C/O 2011 placement was so atrocious. And even at CCN, not everyone around median gets something. Everyone around median can get something, but strike-outs are pretty well-distributed throughout the grade range.

quiver

Postby quiver » Mon May 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Mass mail early and don't overbid.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 28, 2012 1:58 pm

1L at one of CCNMVP.

So, OT rant: there is no such thing as CCNMVP. Leaving out Boalt and including Michigan is non-sensical in any conceivable grouping. There is also no such thing as PVB: leaving out Michigan and including Virginia is also non-sensical in any possible grouping. Finally, a 3.18 average at say Columbia versus Virginia are two completely different things. At the former, you're a little below median at a school that placed nearly all the median-ish kids in 2011. At the latter, you're a lot below median at a school that placed less than half the class into big law and clerkships in 2011: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=181415.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Pass the patent bar this summer. Profit.

You will be fine for prosecution. EE's are the aristocracy.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon May 28, 2012 2:12 pm

rayiner wrote:
1L at one of CCNMVP.

So, OT rant: there is no such thing as CCNMVP. Leaving out Boalt and including Michigan is non-sensical in any conceivable grouping. There is also no such thing as PVB: leaving out Michigan and including Virginia is also non-sensical in any possible grouping. Finally, a 3.18 average at say Columbia versus Virginia are two completely different things. At the former, you're a little below median at a school that placed nearly all the median-ish kids in 2011. At the latter, you're a lot below median at a school that placed less than half the class into big law and clerkships in 2011: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=181415.

Cant be Berkeley and Chicago have completely screwy grading systems I do not think OP is talking about those.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 pm

nh85232 wrote:my dog got sick

Vernors ginger ale through my nose onto my keyboard and now my track-pad isn't working. Thanks a lot.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:12 pm

my dog got sick

Let's translate this to interviewese:
I was dealing with medical issues.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:14 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
my dog got sick

I also suggest:
I had to take of my best friend when he was sick, as he has no other family.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
my dog got sick

I also suggest:
I had to take of my best friend when he was sick, as he has no other family.

"He was really sick. He couldn't even speak. Or stand up on two feet."

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”