Should I drop out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Drop out?

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 54

Re: Should I drop out?

Postby 071816 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 pm

jurisx wrote:Ivy is just polish on a turd if it's B-school.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Wed May 23, 2012 10:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
jurisx wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
jurisx wrote:Maybe this is just me but I'd rather start out as the worlds lowest payed lawyer and work up from there vs being the worlds best anything else.

Being a lawyer is not that great lil breh

then why do it? Other degrees pay better and are less work.

It's mainly just a problem with your hypo. Because the shit you do when you are the lowest paid lawyer can barely be called lawyering (ex. doc review, being present at a real estate closing). Also you don't work your way up from from doc review.

ok, good point. Average vs best then. If his poor is still above AP he can pull up and be at least in the middle of the class. Better hypo.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Wed May 23, 2012 10:42 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
jurisx wrote:
chimp wrote:Whittier Law School > Harvard Business School? Da fuck?

Useless MBA vs licensed lawyer. If you'd rather go to B-school do it, heck be a zoologist for all I care.

Ivy is just polish on a turd if it's B-school.

Maybe this is just me but I'd rather start out as the worlds lowest payed lawyer and work up from there vs being the worlds best anything else.

If someone is going to law school for any reason other than the desire to be a lawyer, the next few decades between now and death are going to suck. (a lot)

What? A Harvard business degree is not useless dude. And just because you're a licensed lawyer doesn't mean you actually are a practicing lawyer. You need to get hired first.

fine, I'll reword it. Any jerk off can do what a B-school grad can do. If you want to be a lawyer you need a JD. Any other degree is useless if your goal is to be a lawyer.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 pm

chimp wrote:

standing by it. Better to be a lawyer from Taft if you can get pass the bar.

I'd rather work at free legal aid and live off foodstamps as a lawyer than to be anything else.

First term is first term, give the poor kid a chance. Of course he wants to quit, sucking sucks. Anyone who quits football freshman year is a dumbass. Same principal here.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Wed May 23, 2012 10:50 pm

jurisx wrote:Depends on what you mean by "poor" grades. If you are still in good standing but barely, then you can still pull it up the next terms.

The Harvard B-school example is a good point. A B-school degree is just that, even from Harvard. Better to be a licensed attorney from Whittier and the lowest in your graduating class needing to sit the bar 4 times to pass it, than a Harvard B-school grad top 1%.

Just my thoughts on it. You quit now and really what rose bush is waiting for you?

If this is a flame, fuck you. If this is not a flame, fuck you.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Wed May 23, 2012 10:54 pm

The F-bomb for thinking one is better off being a lawyer on a law school forum? Wow.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 pm

jurisx wrote:
chimp wrote:

standing by it. Better to be a lawyer from Taft if you can get pass the bar.

I'd rather work at free legal aid and live off foodstamps as a lawyer than to be anything else.

First term is first term, give the poor kid a chance. Of course he wants to quit, sucking sucks. Anyone who quits football freshman year is a dumbass. Same principal here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think you are in the SUPER minority (like maybe only person in the country) in thinking working as a lawyer on food stamps is more desirable than making six figures at some consulting firm out of Harvard Business School. Do you like the idea of being impoverished and miserable? I don't get it.

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:56 pm

ITT: A poaster trolls HARD AS FUARK and others give him the acknowledgement he desires.

gokumax

Postby gokumax » Thu May 24, 2012 9:15 am

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Thu May 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Yes a law student wanting to be a laywer must be a troll. I guess some one had a gun to your head during the lsat? :roll:

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Thu May 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Besides debt is a non issue. If he is bottom of his class (but gets licensed) then he just take income based repayment. He'll still make more with a JD than with a BA (even if stuck in a non legal field at first) and the debt goes away after a few years without even bankruptcy.

Debt is only something those who do well have to pay off, and if you do well then you can afford to so you still won.

There. Duh.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:05 pm

jurisx wrote:Besides debt is a non issue. If he is bottom of his class (but gets licensed) then he just take income based repayment. He'll still make more with a JD than with a BA (even if stuck in a non legal field at first) and the debt goes away after a few years without even bankruptcy.

Debt is only something those who do well have to pay off, and if you do well then you can afford to so you still won.

There. Duh.

Lol I know you're trolling but I cant resist.

20-25 years isn't " just a few years" and I think you are forgetting about a MASSIVE tax bill at the end of those 20-25 years. Have fun paying that lol

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:28 pm

jurisx wrote:Besides debt is a non issue. If he is bottom of his class (but gets licensed) then he just take income based repayment. He'll still make more with a JD than with a BA (even if stuck in a non legal field at first) and the debt goes away after a few years without even bankruptcy.

There. Duh.

Do you know how IBR works? The government doesn't make the interest payments until 20 years from now when they pay off the loan. At 40-50K salary and 150K in debt, the interest will be accruing much faster than IBR will be paying off the principal. If OP does get a higher salary, he'll now owe that accrued interest. Now OP could pay down the interest on his salary, but he is effectively paying a huge additional tax (of like 25% of his income) for a few years when his earning power is at its lowest, without making much of a dent in the principal.

And there's really no evidence to show that the JD holder in OP's position makes more than a "BA holder who could have gone to law school + 2 years of work experience" in this economy.

Inquirer

Postby Inquirer » Thu May 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi everyone, I'm the OP. I just want to thank all of you for getting back to me. I didn't have a chance read all the replies, so I will do so today.

Inquirer

Postby Inquirer » Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Regarding my "poor grades", my GPA is a 2.7 at the moment.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Thu May 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Inquirer wrote:Regarding my "poor grades", my GPA is a 2.7 at the moment.

Don't drop. That is not that bad, and if still a 1L you can make Deans List by graduation. Meet with your Profs to see what you did right and what you need to fix.

My guess if you just need to master IRAC. You can know the answers perfect but don't have full credit if you don't word it properly.

Also, don't be afraid to outline dump. They will tell you not to do it, but those who do get an A those who don't get a B-. Ask upperclassmen.

That plus electives are easier too. Many don't even have final exams.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri May 25, 2012 12:34 am

jurisx wrote:

Don't drop. That is not that bad, and if still a 1L you can make Deans List by graduation. Meet with your Profs to see what you did right and what you need to fix.

My guess if you just need to master IRAC. You can know the answers perfect but don't have full credit if you don't word it properly.

Also, don't be afraid to outline dump. They will tell you not to do it, but those who do get an A those who don't get a B-. Ask upperclassmen.

You are my new favorite troll poaster.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 1:06 am

Renzo wrote:
jurisx wrote:

You are my new favorite troll poaster.

How is any of that anything but the truth? I am tired of 0L's trying to fake they know stuff.

Inquirer

Postby Inquirer » Fri May 25, 2012 1:55 pm

jurisx wrote:

Thanks

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Inquirer wrote:
jurisx wrote:

Thanks

Don't take what he says seriously, he's a troll.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sat May 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah, the idea that electives are easier.......must be a lie.......idiot.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”