Westlaw (old) vs. Lexis Advance Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goodolgil

Silver

Westlaw (old) vs. Lexis Advance

Post by goodolgil » Mon May 21, 2012 8:27 pm

If I'm understanding things right, my firm does not have access to WL Next, but does to old Westlaw and Lexis and Lexis Advance. I haven't really used either regular Westlaw or Lexis since the first couple of weeks of 1L and have never used Advance. Any opinions on which platform I should train myself on?

acw1213

New

Re: Westlaw (old) vs. Lexis Advance

Post by acw1213 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 21, 2012 9:43 pm

I would use Westlaw old version over Advance. Advance sucks.

acw1213

New

Post by acw1213 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 26, 2012 11:58 am

acw1213 wrote:You could also beg your firm to pick up Next. They're going to have to eventually, that's all us 1Ls use now anyway.
This won't work, and you should really learn to use traditional WL/Lexis.

Don't believe Westlaw's employees when they tell you that it is inevitable that all firms will switch. Next is considerably more expensive, and unless that changes many firms, law departments, nonprofits, etc. are not going to switch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:43 pm

In lawschool I loved Westlaw, didn't touch Lexis. In the real world all I have is Lexis, and I have to tell you I don't think I'm missing anything. We have Lexis Advance access, but I don't use it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Blue is calming - Red is alarming. I swear that plays more of a role in Westlaw / Lexis preference than people give it credit for. Lexis seemed angry - Westlaw seems librarianesque and collected. But that is bullshit.

Just don't be a dick and cite a case using ONLY the Westlaw electronic citation alone (or Lexis cite alone) without providing the case number too (as per Bluebook) - fucking bushleague hiding the ball assholes. If you're going to win, win like a sportsman - on the merits.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 26, 2012 10:14 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:In lawschool I loved Westlaw, didn't touch Lexis. In the real world all I have is Lexis, and I have to tell you I don't think I'm missing anything. We have Lexis Advance access, but I don't use it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Blue is calming - Red is alarming. I swear that plays more of a role in Westlaw / Lexis preference than people give it credit for. Lexis seemed angry - Westlaw seems librarianesque and collected. But that is bullshit.

Just don't be a dick and cite a case using ONLY the Westlaw electronic citation alone (or Lexis cite alone) without providing the case number too (as per Bluebook) - fucking bushleague hiding the ball assholes. If you're going to win, win like a sportsman - on the merits.
I agree with all of this, save one small point. Lexis Advance is fucking garish, offensive eye-poison It's way more than just red v. blue, although I do think you are generally on to something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”