Journal and/or Clinic?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hanabana

Journal and/or Clinic?

Postby hanabana » Sun May 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Hello everyone, I am debating on whether I should try to get on a journal. Here is my situation. I just finished my 2L year, and my grades aren't so good, in fact, I am in the bottom 1/3. However, I was lucky enough and managed to get a paid job last summer, in a solo-practitioner firm, and have continued to work with that firm throughout my 2L year. I got on a clinic for next semester, and am now thinking about whether I should even bother to try to get on a journal. I know that journals take GPA into consideration, and most of them probably accept very few 2Ls anyway, since more 1Ls enter into the competition. So I assume that my chances are slim. But I was mostly wondering, being that I am going to be in a clinic next semester, if I get on a journal, would that be too much for me to handle? Besides from the clinic, I will also be taking 4 classes. (With a journal, then 3 classes) Would my schedule then be insane? I don't really want to sacrifice my grade any further, as my first year grades were the bad ones and I have been working really hard to pull it back up a little. Has anyone here participated in a clinic and was on a journal at the same time and can share your experiences?

If I do not get on a journal, I will then most likely work part-time or try out for moot court next semester, asides from the clinic and classes. In my case, would there be a point to try out for the journal competition? Would not trying out for it be a big mistake? Would not getting on any journals during law school be a huge problem for me later? Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you all for reading!

faizdasl

Re: Journal and/or Clinic?

Postby faizdasl » Sun May 20, 2012 11:30 pm

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:42 pm

What are your ultimate employment goals? The return on journals may not be that big for you.

hanabana

Postby hanabana » Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 am

blurbz wrote:What are your ultimate employment goals? The return on journals may not be that big for you.

Definitely not biglaw. I think most likely I'll be going for small to mid-size firms. The thing is, none of the secondary journals in school interest me. I don't think spending too much time doing something I don't have any interest in would be good, and I'd probably be risking my clinic work and grades too. And Law review is a long shot for me because they are only taking less than 5 2Ls, and gpa is a big factor. I think I'll do moot court next term instead, which I think I will enjoy much more than being on a journal anyway. Thanks for the input!

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Mon May 21, 2012 1:50 am

hanabana wrote:Hello everyone, I am debating on whether I should try to get on a journal. Here is my situation. I just finished my 2L year, and my grades aren't so good, in fact, I am in the bottom 1/3. However, I was lucky enough and managed to get a paid job last summer, in a solo-practitioner firm, and have continued to work with that firm throughout my 2L year. I got on a clinic for next semester, and am now thinking about whether I should even bother to try to get on a journal. I know that journals take GPA into consideration, and most of them probably accept very few 2Ls anyway, since more 1Ls enter into the competition. So I assume that my chances are slim. But I was mostly wondering, being that I am going to be in a clinic next semester, if I get on a journal, would that be too much for me to handle? Besides from the clinic, I will also be taking 4 classes. (With a journal, then 3 classes) Would my schedule then be insane? I don't really want to sacrifice my grade any further, as my first year grades were the bad ones and I have been working really hard to pull it back up a little. Has anyone here participated in a clinic and was on a journal at the same time and can share your experiences?

If I do not get on a journal, I will then most likely work part-time or try out for moot court next semester, asides from the clinic and classes. In my case, would there be a point to try out for the journal competition? Would not trying out for it be a big mistake? Would not getting on any journals during law school be a huge problem for me later? Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you all for reading!

Make sure the journals you are shooting for do not have a two year commitment.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”