Something there is about Columbia that loves to suck

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
EdHoover

Something there is about Columbia that loves to suck

Postby EdHoover » Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 am

I have had a miserable time in the two years that I have been here. I can't quite tell what exactly it is about Columbia that sucks so much. Perhaps there isn't a thing that sucks per se, perhaps it's an amalgam of things -- perhaps it's the combination of an undifferentiated mass of gunners and an indifferent administration. But that's just perhaps. For the record, I take no issue with our professors here -- they are broad-minded intellectuals, emissaries of light all, in whose presence one's mind expands compulsively and exponentially. My issue is with those whose minds are so affected. Or rather those who affect to be so affected. So, yeah, it's not that I hate law school. I just hate my school!

Tom Joad

Re: Something there is about Columbia that loves to suck

Postby Tom Joad » Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 am

Sorry about that, Ed.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Fri May 18, 2012 12:55 am

Can you be more specific? What happened?

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Fri May 18, 2012 1:02 am

something there is about Columbia...

I think you meant there is something... /end thread

target

Postby target » Fri May 18, 2012 1:16 am

submit that visiting scholar app to another school.../thread

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 am

You write weird.

EdHoover

Postby EdHoover » Fri May 18, 2012 1:35 am

BrightLine wrote:Can you be more specific? What happened?

Take a look at this:
lawschoolgrapedme wrote:something there is about Columbia...

My fellow CLSer here thought it necessary to correct my grammar -- and for that I thank him, of course. (Nevermind that I deliberately structured the sentence that way.) I am going to be cheritable and assume that he couldn't pass on an opportunity to showcase his superior grammar. But the truth is likely more sinister than that: he/she probably just couldn't let go of the chance to make someone appear unlettered and ignorant. Why? Do you really think that you are telling me something new? This desire of yours -- the desire to always show off, to always appear the better -- is exactly what I was talking about in my original post. Something there is about you, lawschoolgrapedme, that loves to suck.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Fri May 18, 2012 1:37 am

Thread has potential.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 am

EdHoover wrote:

Take a look at this:

My fellow CLSer here thought it necessary to correct my grammar -- and for that I thank him, of course. (Nevermind that I deliberately structured the sentence that way.) I am going to be cheritable (SP - charitable) and assume that he couldn't pass on an opportunity to showcase his superior grammar. But the truth is likely more sinister than that: he/she probably just (unnecessary) couldn't let go of the chance to make someone (word choice - not someone, but you) appear unlettered and ignorant (redundant is redundant). Why? Do you really think that you are telling me something new? This desire of yours -- the desire to always show off, to always appear the better -- (em dahses more appropriate) is exactly what I was talking about in my original post. Something there is about you, lawschoolgrapedme, that loves to suck. (syntax again - see thread title)

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri May 18, 2012 2:08 am

Vronsky wrote:
EdHoover wrote:

Take a look at this:

My fellow CLSer here thought it necessary to correct my grammar -- and for that I thank him, of course. (Nevermind that I deliberately structured the sentence that way.) I am going to be cheritable (SP - charitable) and assume that he couldn't pass on an opportunity to showcase his superior grammar. But the truth is likely more sinister than that: he/she probably just (unnecessary) couldn't let go of the chance to make someone (word choice - not someone, but you) appear unlettered and ignorant (redundant is redundant). Why? Do you really think that you are telling me something new? This desire of yours -- the desire to always show off, to always appear the better -- (em dahses more appropriate) is exactly what I was talking about in my original post. Something there is about you, lawschoolgrapedme, that loves to suck. (syntax again - see thread title)

Nice.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri May 18, 2012 2:11 am

Ed, I agree with you. I hate Columbia.

EdHoover

Postby EdHoover » Fri May 18, 2012 2:44 am

Vronsky wrote:
EdHoover wrote:

Take a look at this:

Apart from the spelling correction, you got everything else wrong.
1. word choice -- i used "someone" because I am universalizing the statement: i am saying it's not about me -- this guy just likes to put people down.
2. redundant is redundant -- funny that you put it this way because i used "unlettered and ignorant" for the same reason that you used repetition here: emphasis, son.
3. em dashes -- haha, why do you suppose i used two dashes and not one? i couldn't agree more!
4. syntax -- gee, give me a break. i used that weired construction to draw attention. i didn't even give it that much thought when i wrote it, but come to think of it, i probably drew inspiration from Mending Walls: "SOMETHING there is that doesn't love a wall,/ That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,/ And spills the upper boulders in the sun;/ And makes gaps even two can pass abreast."

In any case, thanks for editing my TLS post; it's good to know that someone cares so much. (I really don't care about the integrity of my prose on these forums, but I know you do. So how about another round of editing?) I gotta say, though: something there is about you, Vronsky!

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri May 18, 2012 2:58 am

ITT three CLS students make CLS sound like a miserable experience--one intentionally and two unintentionally.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri May 18, 2012 8:41 am

OP : I thought you were using a reference to Mending Wall by Robert Frost. That would have been awesome as the poem is about walls being barriers between people understanding and relating to each other.

Sorry you hate Columbia. Just enjoy the city, get out more.

edit: I see you were drawing on the poem. OP you should own that and make the others idiots for not recognizing it. Maybe you are a little too defensive? Anyway, get out of Morningside Heights- the city has so much more to offer you.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri May 18, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri May 18, 2012 9:32 am

wanna go to GW and switch places with me? Suck it up, it's an amazing school in a great city.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 am

anonymcoffee wrote:wanna go to GW and switch places with me? Suck it up, it's an amazing school in a great city.

The point, you're missing it.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 am

EdHoover wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
EdHoover wrote:

Take a look at this:

Apart from the spelling correction, you got everything else wrong.
1. word choice -- i used "someone" because I am universalizing the statement: i am saying it's not about me -- this guy just likes to put people down.
2. redundant is redundant -- funny that you put it this way because i used "unlettered and ignorant" for the same reason that you used repetition here: emphasis, son.
3. em dashes -- haha, why do you suppose i used two dashes and not one? i couldn't agree more!
4. syntax -- gee, give me a break. i used that weired construction to draw attention. i didn't even give it that much thought when i wrote it, but come to think of it, i probably drew inspiration from Mending Walls: "SOMETHING there is that doesn't love a wall,/ That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,/ And spills the upper boulders in the sun;/ And makes gaps even two can pass abreast."

In any case, thanks for editing my TLS post; it's good to know that someone cares so much. (I really don't care about the integrity of my prose on these forums, but I know you do. So how about another round of editing?) I gotta say, though: something there is about you, Vronsky!

pwned

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 am

Lol at cls transfers showing off their grammar skillz itt. It's cool, bros, CLS already accepted you.

P.S. The z in 'skillz' was intentional.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am

This is odd, because my experience has been totally different from OP's. I'm also a year below him/her, so maybe it's just about a difference in the members of each class? I have found the people to be much more interesting, welcoming, and kind than the professors are "beacons of light" or whatever OP called them. It just smells fishy to like your professors so much, I guess.

OP, are you active in any societies/journals etc? Do you have many close friends at school? Perhaps you are judging people based on their in-class personas without opening up to them socially. At least in my class everybody seems pretty intense in school but they're all really fun outside of class. I'm pretty shy but even I like basically everyone at CLS.

I guess I get that everyone has a different experience, it just makes me wonder why yours is so very different from mine.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Fri May 18, 2012 1:04 pm

dresden doll wrote:Lol at cls transfers showing off their grammar skillz itt. It's cool, bros, CLS already accepted you.

This, I agree with this.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Fri May 18, 2012 1:12 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Lol at cls transfers showing off their grammar skillz itt. It's cool, bros, CLS already accepted you.

This, I agree with this.

Something there is about having gone to a POS law school that *actually* sucks makes it seem, well, less sucky to me than OP.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Vronsky wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:

This, I agree with this.

Something there is about having gone to a POS law school that *actually* sucks makes it seem, well, less sucky to me than OP.

Wow. Obliviousness at it's finest. I am sorry that you attended (what you, not I) call a POS law school. But if OP got into Columbia, he could have also gone to Duke, UVA, Michigan, or even a little lower to have gotten a slightly lower chance at career success but a much higher quality of life.

I can't tell you how many people I've met at UT who got into Columbia but couldn't stand it when they visited.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri May 18, 2012 1:34 pm

lol. I love how everybody correcting OP's grammar is, in a twist of irony, proving his point.

quiver

Postby quiver » Fri May 18, 2012 1:44 pm

EdHoover wrote:So, yeah, it's not that I hate law school. I just hate my school!
It sounds like your main problem is just that you don't like law students. Fair enough, but that's not because it's Columbia. As someone who has attended two law schools, CLS (including the students) seems much better to me in almost every aspect than my previous school. My experience has been in line with picco's above.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 pm

lisjjen wrote:

lol. I love how everybody correcting OP's grammar is, in a twist of irony, proving his point.

Exactly.

Perhaps someone could clarify how low the school must be ranked before a person has the right to say that their experience there has been unpleasant.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”