I keep doing MISERABLE on multiple choice exams.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eco

I keep doing MISERABLE on multiple choice exams.

Postby Eco » Mon May 14, 2012 1:33 pm

First year I did great. All essay exams. Mostly As and some B+s.

This year...a complete and utter disaster. The three exams I had with multiple choice were a C+, a B and a C+. My gpa has dropped dramatically. Thank god I have a job but now I'm sincerely worried. What am I doing wrong? Even my essay exams have not gone anywhere above B+. Is there something wrong with my 1L studying technique that doesn't work for 2Ls?

I just outline the course then do practice tests. I re-outline courses at times to make smaller ones that are more accessible for the exam. So what is going on? What in the world else can I do to stop this disastrous trend from continuing? I only have 2 semesters left and my GPA has gone down from top 30% to clearly below median.

What in the world am I doing wrong?

BlueDiamond

Re: I keep doing MISERABLE on multiple choice exams.

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon May 14, 2012 1:56 pm

you said you have a job.. so why on earth do you care??

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:you said you have a job.. so why on earth do you care??

Because it could be a problem when it comes to the bar.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Eco wrote:First year I did great. All essay exams. Mostly As and some B+s.

This year...a complete and utter disaster. The three exams I had with multiple choice were a C+, a B and a C+. My gpa has dropped dramatically. Thank god I have a job but now I'm sincerely worried. What am I doing wrong? Even my essay exams have not gone anywhere above B+. Is there something wrong with my 1L studying technique that doesn't work for 2Ls?

I just outline the course then do practice tests. I re-outline courses at times to make smaller ones that are more accessible for the exam. So what is going on? What in the world else can I do to stop this disastrous trend from continuing? I only have 2 semesters left and my GPA has gone down from top 30% to clearly below median.

Are the MC exams easy?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Yep. I find MC exams in law school are the worst. The problem is that they can't simply ask questions that common sense will answer. Thus, they come up with questions on material they they only mentioned in passing.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Has your approach changed at all from 1L? E.g. have you slacked since you got your job? Did you rely heavily on supplements during 1L and have you stopped doing so? Are you relying more heavily on others' outlines?

With regard to MC specifically, I actually prefer MC exams. Do your profs have sample/past year exams? If so, you should familiarize yourself with the types of questions they ask. I can't really give you more specific advice than that without more info about which classes you've struggled in.

Finally, the main substantive difference between 1L and 2L (that I noticed at least), was that 1L was mostly common law and 2L was much more statutory/regulatory-based, so perhaps that is playing a role.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Are the MC exams easy?

I thought the MC questions weren't very difficult but I tried my best not to take any for granted. Apparantly got 40/73 correct on my last exam- yes, that's how bad I've been doing. It is so bizarre because seriously, every other grade has been either an A or a B and now I have C+s peppered throughout. Ugh I need to avoid MC exam-classes.

Finally, the main substantive difference between 1L and 2L (that I noticed at least), was that 1L was mostly common law and 2L was much more statutory/regulatory-based, so perhaps that is playing a role.

I thought maybe that was it- but I took a 100% statutory class last semester that turned out to be my highest grade. And my two lowest grades? A C+ on the almost 100% multiple choice and a low B on the 50% MC 50% essay exam.

Do your profs have sample/past year exams? If so, you should familiarize yourself with the types of questions they ask. I can't really give you more specific advice than that without more info about which classes you've struggled in.

It was a Criminal Procedure exam (the latest all-MC exam I got a C+ on) and he gave us a single practice exam with just 17 questions on it. When I did it at home, without cheating or anything, I got 14/17 correct. I reviewed the ones I got wrong carefully. I also had a book of multiple choice Qs that I did to prepare. I spent hours going over the material. I know if this was an essay exam, I would have gotten at the very least a B+. But something happens on MC- I just do beyond miserable. I mean I got over 30 questions wrong on this exam. It's really bad.

you said you have a job.. so why on earth do you care??

There's no guarantee of employment at graduation although their track record is good. I'm worried such a massive drop in my gpa is going to look bad if I need to look again for post-grad employment =(.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Mon May 14, 2012 5:16 pm

3|ink wrote:Yep. I find MC exams in law school are the worst. The problem is that they can't simply ask questions that common sense will answer. Thus, they come up with questions on material they they only mentioned in passing.
And not one single answer is a good answer. It took me awhile to figure this out. I ended up doing about 50 PMBR multiple choice questions before an exam and it ended up helping a lot. Whether it worked this semester... well I'll get back to you on that.

Starscream15

Postby Starscream15 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:27 pm

It is something to be concerned about but not a deal breaker. I would focus on fixing this for the bar exam. The multistate is a bitch. It is very difficult and you need to be comfortable taking it. I would recommend checking PMBR or BARBRI (though PMBR is better on MC) and getting some extra practice. Practice will help with your classes and for the bar. Talk to your professors about it as well. Good luck.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

this happened to my section 2nd semester 1L for some reason. i don't really give a shit because i didn't do great on the exams but our last exam had a custom scantron that went from a-g for the options. 50 q's worth 50%. i am only sure i got 3-4 right out of 50.

Seminole_305

Postby Seminole_305 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Q&A
Siegels
Friedmans

I use those to improve my multiple choice.

Void

Postby Void » Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Eco wrote:I keep doing MISERABLE MISERABLY on multiple choice exams.
:)

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon May 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Void wrote:
Eco wrote:I keep doing MISERABLE MISERABLY on multiple choice exams.
:)

thank you

interalia504

Postby interalia504 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 pm

I just received my first C+ on an all M.C. exam, as well. I feel your pain.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Tue May 15, 2012 5:48 pm

TTTLS wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:you said you have a job.. so why on earth do you care??

Because it could be a problem when it comes to the bar.

Huh?

Edit: Also, I second everything said herein. We had MC in Civ Pro that was about 40% of the exam and basically all I could do was put down guesses for 40 questions. Everyone else was in the same boat, we'll get our grades based on sheer luck.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Tue May 15, 2012 5:55 pm

arvcondor wrote:Huh?
I was thinking that the MBE portion would seems daunting to someone struggling with MC.

morris248

Postby morris248 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Everybody is different but it may just be your approach on how you take a MC exam. This works for me. I read the answers first. Usually you can cross out at least two that are an incorrect statement of the law. To keep from looking at the question use an index card and cover up the question. Then read the question. By reading the answers first you will know what is important in the question and what is a distractor. None of the above is rarely the correct answer.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 pm

I just want to commiserate. I HATE law school multiple choice. I've had a few, and have only done well on one of them. So terrible. Just give me an issue spotter and I'll be happy.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 pm

I hate MC.

I have found that in addition to realizing that you're usually looking for the best answer, not the right answer; you also have to realize some profs like to TRICK you. There'll be one word. ONE word that is so easy to skim over that changes everything.

Also be very careful about statements like "the judge will blah blah" because it's almost never right

Our prof also liked to do things like "which of the following are FALSE" and then have 5 answers. The last two would be something like "All of the above (ALL are FALSE)" and "None of the above (None are TRUE).

Which of course makes those two the same effing thing, so neither of them are right, but then of the 3 left, you're positive 2 of them are right and the other one seems maybe right. So if you're not reading really carefully, you're going to pick "all of the above" because you figure 2 are right so the other one must be. Except all of the above can't be right because it's the same as None of the above, so one of the ones you think is right isn't and you need to read it again and OH MY GOD I think I have PTSD.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 am

I found the Q&As to be utterly worthless. I did almost the whole book for con law and still bombed. The problem is that those questions are so much easier than what's on the test. Also, most tests will pose questions that cross multiple fields, whereas in a lot of the books they pose a question in one area and keep all of the responses to that area instead of making you think about how the situation applies to all areas of the subject. MC is the WORST. I'm seriously not going to take a class with a MC test again, or a take home test for that matter.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sat May 19, 2012 10:26 am

RIght? Who'd have thought that eventually you'd be like "can I please just have a four hour in class issue spotter?"

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Sat May 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Keep in mind that the bar exam is multiple choice, so you need to do your best to learn how to kick ass on multiple choice tests. I tend to do very well on multiple choice, but I don't think there is really any secret to it. You just have to know the law cold and how it applies in a wide variety of situations. That and make sure you read the question and answer choices very carefully.

Void

Postby Void » Sat May 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Wasn't the LSAT also multiple choice? I seem to remember filling in lots of bubbles at some point.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed May 23, 2012 4:39 am

Eco wrote:First year I did great. All essay exams. Mostly As and some B+s.

my guess is not knowing the law well enough and if i were you i would use law in a flash for every class you have MC in. yes, you can make your own flashcards, but law in a flash has the rule and then a bunch of hypos dealing with that rule so you get to understand the law really really well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”