How much time do you spend on write on?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Slobberson

How much time do you spend on write on?

Postby Slobberson » Sat May 12, 2012 11:45 am

Ours is two weeks. It's been five days and all I've done is read and highlighted the packet/made notes on each case. Haven't glanced at the citation quiz yet.

How behind am I?

ph14

Re: How much time do you spend on write on?

Postby ph14 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:47 am

Slobberson wrote:Ours is two weeks. It's been five days and all I've done is read and highlighted the packet/made notes on each case. Haven't glanced at the citation quiz yet.

How behind am I?

It doesn't work like that (as you should know from 1L year). Produce a good result, it doesn't matter where you are now.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat May 12, 2012 11:58 am

ph14 wrote:It doesn't work like that (as you should know from 1L year). Produce a good result, it doesn't matter where you are now.

Agreed. I've been taking things at a pretty leisurely pace, writing a section (or even just a paragraph) here and there. Others sit down and crank out half the paper. Your results may vary.

FWIW, ours is 12 days, and there's about 4 days left. We have 14 pages; I'm on page 9, with the remainder outlined. But I still have to go back and bluebook everything.

Slobberson

Postby Slobberson » Sat May 12, 2012 12:10 pm

ph14 wrote:
Slobberson wrote:Ours is two weeks. It's been five days and all I've done is read and highlighted the packet/made notes on each case. Haven't glanced at the citation quiz yet.

How behind am I?

It doesn't work like that (as you should know from 1L year). Produce a good result, it doesn't matter where you are now.

Yea I know. What I should have asked is this whether it's possible for me to produce a good result in 6 full days when I still have to write it all and complete the entire citation quiz. I can't tell because I've never written anything like this before. I had a real major in undergrad and nothing we've done during 1L seems comparable. Especially with the citation quiz, I have no idea how long that's gonna take.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Slobberson wrote:
ph14 wrote:

How behind am I?

Yea I know. What I should have asked is this whether it's possible for me to produce a good result in 6 full days when I still have to write it all and complete the entire citation quiz. I can't tell because I've never written anything like this before. I had a real major in undergrad and nothing we've done during 1L seems comparable. Especially with the citation quiz, I have no idea how long that's gonna take.

Citation quiz will probably take a while, depending on how familiar you are with the bluebook. As far as the written article, i've heard anecdotes of people writing it in a day and still getting on, so anything is possible really. How long does yours have to be?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat May 12, 2012 12:32 pm

beachbum wrote:
ph14 wrote:It doesn't work like that (as you should know from 1L year). Produce a good result, it doesn't matter where you are now.

Agreed. I've been taking things at a pretty leisurely pace, writing a section (or even just a paragraph) here and there. Others sit down and crank out half the paper. Your results may vary.

FWIW, ours is 12 days, and there's about 4 days left. We have 14 pages; I'm on page 9, with the remainder outlined. But I still have to go back and bluebook everything.

Our memo for the casenote says that it should take a week or less. So, if they expect it to take 6 days or so, I would say that the first two days should be spent reading, researching, and outlining. The next three days writing and re-writing. And then the final day polishing and going over the bluebook.

If you have two weeks and it has a similar structure to ours then you are fine!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”