TLS Support Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pinkcamellia

Silver

TLS Support Thread

Post by pinkcamellia » Sat May 12, 2012 12:55 am

Hey y'all, with the generous help of Nightrunner I've put together this thread as a resource for those of you experiencing struggles in the law school environment. This is a safe place where you can post anonymously about issues you're facing as a result of law school. These things include: depression, anxiety, thoughts of suicide, where to get help on or off-campus.

What is not welcome here: simply complaining about exams, trolling, egging people on to hurt themselves or others.

Resources if you are having thoughts of suicide:
http://www.hopeline.com/ or 1-800-442-HOPE
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ - You can live chat with someone or call 1-800-273-TALK
Call a trusted friend or family member and tell them how you are feeling
Reach out to your law school's wellness center and tell them that the need to see a therapist is urgent
--LinkRemoved-- Law student mental health advocacy program

Resources if you feel anxious or depressed:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/a ... ndex.shtml - National Institute of Mental Health on anxiety
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/d ... ndex.shtml - National Institute of Mental Health on depression
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety ... atment.htm - How to tell if you have anxiety and should seek help, including what you can do to help yourself right now
http://www.helpguide.org/topics/depression.htm - The same thing, but for depression
http://www.anxietypanic.com/ - This site has general info and a message board to talk with others who are feeling anxious
http://www.lawyerswithdepression.com/ - Lawyers and other professionals in law-related fields who have experienced depression

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread - y'all can also feel free to PM me. If I'm not available at that moment and you need to talk, I will find someone who is available and can talk to you.

Everyone who has been in law school has experienced some sort of struggle. You are not alone. Lawyers are highly susceptible to depression and anxiety, and law school can run you into the ground emotionally. Just because these things are true does not make them okay, and it does not have to be your new normal.

Please, if you are having thoughts of suicide, feeling anxious or depressed, seek help right away.
Last edited by pinkcamellia on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

dowu

Platinum

Re: TLS Support Thread

Post by dowu » Sat May 12, 2012 12:57 am

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat May 12, 2012 12:59 am

Pink, as always, <3

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sat May 12, 2012 1:00 am

Tagged.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat May 12, 2012 10:20 am

Came to troll, but this was too nice. Hope it helps who needs it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:17 am

Excellent thread, pink! I will also chime in that anyone who is experiencing depression/anxiety (especially panic attacks) in or not in law school can feel free to PM me as well.

TTTLS

Bronze

Post by TTTLS » Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Unfortunately, I think most of my anxiety comes not from law school bur rather from the simple fact that I exist.

Thanks for the resources though.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 am

Didn't see this till just now -- what a great thread, Pink (: <3

If anyone wants an internet stranger to vent to, feel free to PM me. Sometimes it's nice to tell all the bullshit in your life to someone who doesn't know you at all: no personal judgments and they'll never know who you actually are. ^_^

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 24, 2012 2:36 am

Is this the thread we poast in if we need support for poasting on TLS too much?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 24, 2012 2:39 am

Srsly though law school is soul crushing and pink is the best

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu May 24, 2012 5:48 am

TTTLS wrote:Unfortunately, I think most of my anxiety comes not from law school bur rather from the simple fact that I exist.

Thanks for the resources though.
:(

TTTLS

Bronze

Post by TTTLS » Fri May 25, 2012 2:12 am

Sorry that was such a law student thing to say.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 am

Why we poast - The principles of Law School Pursuit:

1. Except for a few esteemed law schools, only 5 to 10% of law students will get Biglaw and make a six figure salary starting out.
2. Most law students will have large student loans upon graduation.
3. Law studendts below the top 33% will have a tough time finding decent private practice jobs and those at 50% and below have no chance.
4. Some law students will be inspired to do public interest or not for profit work.
5. Some law students will fade away to be forgotten and hopefully can use some law school training in their non-legal job.
6. The law schools led many law students down a prim rose path and some say the law students should have known better, but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Soul crushing, yes. Worth it, depends. Are law students better for law school, probably for at least half of the law students in the long run. Does poasting about it make law students feel better - absolutely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 am

Just a bump to let y'all know I still check this and all my PMs. Thanks for making this effort a success thus far :D

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:12 am

I wish I had never come to law school. I should have become a dentist.

jln82

New

Post by jln82 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 pm

SPAM

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:35 pm

If anybody needs someone to talk to, I'm here as well to offer support! Feel free to PM me whenever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:48 pm

What a great idea.. Should there be an anon feature for those that want to post but don't feel comfortable doing so? ( and misusing it results in a long ban)?

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:50 pm

northwood wrote:What a great idea.. Should there be an anon feature for those that want to post but don't feel comfortable doing so? ( and misusing it results in a long ban)?
I wish there was! I welcome PMs and no user information is ever posted anywhere.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 pm

I just want to mention that a family member of mine committed suicide about two years ago. She was really just going through a rough time but seemed to be improving. Anyway, we all firmly believe that if she could have been helped through her issues then, she would still be alive. My family and her two kids may never recover from losing her. And she is missing out on seeing her beautiful and talented kids grow up.

So I guess I want to remind people that they should reach out for help when they need it and make sure to tell someone how you really feel. When you are deeply depressed you may not realize how many people care about you and what you will be missing. Just don't give up.

I'm glad this thread is there to help people. The insane stress law school creates between money and grades and jobs is too much for almost everyone to handle alone. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:23 pm

sunynp wrote:I just want to mention that a family member of mine committed suicide about two years ago. She was really just going through a rough time but seemed to be improving. Anyway, we all firmly believe that if she could have been helped through her issues then, she would still be alive. My family and her two kids may never recover from losing her. And she is missing out on seeing her beautiful and talented kids grow up.

So I guess I want to remind people that they should reach out for help when they need it and make sure to tell someone how you really feel. When you are deeply depressed you may not realize how many people care about you and what you will be missing. Just don't give up.

I'm glad this thread is there to help people. The insane stress law school creates between money and grades and jobs is too much for almost everyone to handle alone. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask.
I'm very sorry for your loss. It's tough to know when someone needs help, especially since it can be easy to hide. I hope your family remembers her with fondness.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:30 pm

I seriously seriously love you (even though you are an internet stranger basically :-p) I am going to be taking you up on all this. xoxoxoxo

p.s. anyone who wants to talk about stuff, please PM me too. I have run the gamut of experiencing problems of the anxiety and depression sort from mentoring, personal, and secondhand perspectives, and would love to be a safe-to-vent-to person for all y'all.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:34 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
sunynp wrote:I just want to mention that a family member of mine committed suicide about two years ago. She was really just going through a rough time but seemed to be improving. Anyway, we all firmly believe that if she could have been helped through her issues then, she would still be alive. My family and her two kids may never recover from losing her. And she is missing out on seeing her beautiful and talented kids grow up.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's tough to know when someone needs help, especially since it can be easy to hide. I hope your family remembers her with fondness.
Thanks. We love her and try not to blame ourselves too much. But it can be mystifying because it is hard to imagine the terrible mental distress she was in, and yet hiding it so well.

That is why I posted - to perhaps help someone else ask for help when they need it. You don't have to pretend that everything is fine when it isn't fine. But if you get help, you can get through whatever it is that you are dealing with.

I wanted people to remember that there are people who care deeply about them, even though at that time of deep depression, they might not feel that their life matters very much at all.

( hope that wasn't over sharing)
Last edited by sunynp on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:37 pm

angua wrote:I seriously seriously love you (even though you are an internet stranger basically :-p) I am going to be taking you up on all this. xoxoxoxo

p.s. anyone who wants to talk about stuff, please PM me too. I have run the gamut of experiencing problems of the anxiety and depression sort from mentoring, personal, and secondhand perspectives, and would love to be a safe-to-vent-to person for all y'all.
If this is towards me - I love you back! And your cats.

If I am ever overwhelmed with PMs, I promise to refer people to y'all. Fortunately, that has not yet happened.

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:56 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
angua wrote:I seriously seriously love you (even though you are an internet stranger basically :-p) I am going to be taking you up on all this. xoxoxoxo

If this is towards me - I love you back! And your cats.

If I am ever overwhelmed with PMs, I promise to refer people to y'all. Fortunately, that has not yet happened.
:D <3

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”