TLS Support Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pinkcamellia

Silver

Re: TLS Support Thread

Post by pinkcamellia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
ArtVandelayy wrote:Asking for support
I'm so sorry to read this. :cry: This was me last semester, and through seeking help it definitely has gotten better. Please PM me for details re: my circumstances. I have been assisted by this thread and would love to pay it fwd to other struggling law students.
In the spirit of this thread, I think it might be kind not to quote this in case ArtVandelayy decides he/she might want to edit it later.

On another note. I'm very happy to hear you're doing better.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 pm

just wanted to pop in to say I support this support thread

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:53 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:
I'm so sorry to read this. :cry: This was me last semester, and through seeking help it definitely has gotten better. Please PM me for details re: my circumstances. I have been assisted by this thread and would love to pay it fwd to other struggling law students.
In the spirit of this thread, I think it might be kind not to quote this in case ArtVandelayy decides he/she might want to edit it later.

Edited. Sorry about that!

Thanks! I didn't visit the school over break like I intended to do because it was too close to the deaths of my former student and co-teacher and thought I'd be overwhelmed. Excited to see my babies graduate in June, though very bittersweet because the life of one of their beloved classmates was so senselessly cut short. :cry:
Last edited by BlueLotus on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm

PinkLotus wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:

Edited. Sorry about that!

Thanks! I didn't visit the school over break like I intended to do because it was too close to the deaths of my former student and co-teacher and thought I'd be overwhelmed. Excited to see my babies graduate in May, though very bittersweet because the life of one of their beloved classmates was so senselessly cut short. :cry:
I think that was probably a good choice. It is bittersweet, and I am still very sorry for your loss. I know your smile will mean a lot to them on their graduation day.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 pm

<3 Thanks pinkcamellia, for your kinds words, and for creating this important thread.
Last edited by BlueLotus on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Art - if you don't feel better on the Zoloft, please talk to whoever prescribed it ASAP and tell them it's not working and you want to change it. Don't mess around with SSRI's if they don't work for you; and don't feed too much into the "it takes a while to work" BS. There are plenty of drugs and you need to find one that works for you. And try to find a therapist who will see you weekly, if not DAILY if you really need it.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Please continue to get help and don't give up. You won't always feel like this , hang on to that thought. Though it doesn't seem possible, it will get better. And hang on to your Mom too if that is what helps you. I had a family member commit suicide and we have never gotten over it. I truly believe that if she had been able to hang on and get the help she needed she would be alive today. I don't want that to happen to you and your family.

I know it must be impossibly hard for you. But please please don't give up on yourself and your potential. We all are rooting for you and believe in you. You will get better, it is possible.

I'm not here very much but PM if you need help!!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:33 pm

i check tls ( too frequently i must admit) and if anyone needs a e-shoulder to vent on, cry on or whatnot- just PM me ( ill delete them after I reply)

hang in there Art.. Just know that while it sucks now, it will get better

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Art, you seem to be close to your mother based on what you posted. Have you spoken to her about your emotional state?

Also, what is helping me this semester is staying in touch with non-law school friends back home and not walling myself completely like I did in the fall. Law school can be very isolating and insular, esp. 1L, and a simple phone call, Skype date, text message, of fb wallpost with an old buddy is a great way to stay connected with the life you had before 1L took over.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 pm

If anybody ever wants to talk you can PM me or call if you ask for my number. I would be glad.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:17 am

keg411 wrote:Art - if you don't feel better on the Zoloft, please talk to whoever prescribed it ASAP and tell them it's not working and you want to change it. Don't mess around with SSRI's if they don't work for you; and don't feed too much into the "it takes a while to work" BS. There are plenty of drugs and you need to find one that works for you. And try to find a therapist who will see you weekly, if not DAILY if you really need it.
Very credited. It took several anti-depressants before I found the right one (Citalopram).

bfigsan

New

Post by bfigsan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 am

I wanted to second the above post. I, unfortunately, suffer from hereditary depression and "experimented" with various meds for almost ten years before finding one that works for me (Citalopram). The brand name equivalent is Celexa, and it has given me the emotional stability I need while also still being able to experience the normal highs and lows of being human. Hang in there!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 am

ArtVandelayy wrote:
northwood wrote:
ArtVandelayy wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go talk to someone, anyone, right now. Life is beautiful and life is wonderful. Law school sucks balls, and i can honestly tell you that my one big regret is that I didnt leave law school last year ( im a 2L- at least for now). While I dont know how you feel, I do know that im feelilng something very similar as you, and Im working on my plan to leave law school and move on. Yea it sucks, but If its sucking you down that much, maybe its not for you, and there are other beautiful and wonderful things you can do.

You have a lot of good to give.... dont let law school be the last thing on your mind...
Thanks so much for your compassion and understanding...unfortunately I think I'd be even more depressed if I dropped out. As corny as it is, I've been wanting to go to law school for so long and finally realized that goal this year at a T14. Dropping out, to me at least, is akin to giving up, failing even. I would feel like such a massive failure in the eyes of my family, my friends from home, my friends from college. That I could never handle. I already feel as though I've squandered away the opportunity of my life this year after putting forth minimal effort last semester and consequently ending up directly at median.
Dude you're better than about half the people in your class. Congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 am

rad lulz wrote:
ArtVandelayy wrote:
northwood wrote:
ArtVandelayy wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go talk to someone, anyone, right now. Life is beautiful and life is wonderful. Law school sucks balls, and i can honestly tell you that my one big regret is that I didnt leave law school last year ( im a 2L- at least for now). While I dont know how you feel, I do know that im feelilng something very similar as you, and Im working on my plan to leave law school and move on. Yea it sucks, but If its sucking you down that much, maybe its not for you, and there are other beautiful and wonderful things you can do.

You have a lot of good to give.... dont let law school be the last thing on your mind...
Thanks so much for your compassion and understanding...unfortunately I think I'd be even more depressed if I dropped out. As corny as it is, I've been wanting to go to law school for so long and finally realized that goal this year at a T14. Dropping out, to me at least, is akin to giving up, failing even. I would feel like such a massive failure in the eyes of my family, my friends from home, my friends from college. That I could never handle. I already feel as though I've squandered away the opportunity of my life this year after putting forth minimal effort last semester and consequently ending up directly at median.
Dude you're better than about half the people in your class. Congrats!
+1. Median at a T14 is not a terrible place to be at all.

bfigsan

New

Post by bfigsan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 am

Can you take a leave of absence? I know that's a possibility during undergrad, but I'm a 0L, so not sure how that works for law school. But maybe a medical leave of absence would be helpful?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 am

If any law student here is experiencing suicidal ideation, please PM me if you wanna set up a time to talk about what's going on for a few mins on Skype. A face-to-face convo with someone who's been through the same feelings may be helpful for some, I figured.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 am

Art,

Should you decide not to take a leave of absence, I recommend checking out this thread for exam prep.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=196998

Folks there can help with catching up strategies. You can seriously slack off the first half of the semester and still finish strong. There is still time.

CSWS, baby!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 am

i would also recommend talking to your dean of students. they may have a wealth of knowledge to share with you.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:48 am

Is there any way that the mods can permit users to post anon in this thread? I mean the content is just as, if not more sensitive than anything in the "Legal Employment" forum.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:49 am

Wow.. Tagging!

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:26 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Is there any way that the mods can permit users to post anon in this thread? I mean the content is just as, if not more sensitive than anything in the "Legal Employment" forum.
I'll see what we can do about this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:26 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Is there any way that the mods can permit users to post anon in this thread? I mean the content is just as, if not more sensitive than anything in the "Legal Employment" forum.
Thanks!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:29 am

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:07 am

pinkcamellia wrote:

this is late (and a bit contradictory) but what about not using a block quote when answering a post so that the poster can go back and delete their post?

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 pm

is it weird to enjoy the practice of law, but absolutely detest the law school experience?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”