1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
piccolittle

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 pm

AHHHHHHHH I got an A in crim!!!! I literally went to the first class and never went back. Doesn't make up for the other crappy grades but still, life is amazing! :mrgreen:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:30 pm

piccolittle wrote:AHHHHHHHH I got an A in crim!!!! I literally went to the first class and never went back. Doesn't make up for the other crappy grades but still, life is amazing! :mrgreen:

lol awesome. anecdotally it seems like crim profs tend to have the most stringent attendance requirements. maybe this is why :P

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm

piccolittle wrote:AHHHHHHHH I got an A in crim!!!! I literally went to the first class and never went back. Doesn't make up for the other crappy grades but still, life is amazing! :mrgreen:
Congratulations.

Although I did pretty well this semester, I cannot fathom how this is possible. I hear it enough that it must be true for some people, but I just don't get it.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:00 pm

delusional wrote:
Congratulations.

Although I did pretty well this semester, I cannot fathom how this is possible. I hear it enough that it must be true for some people, but I just don't get it.

I think it helped that our professor was majorly incompetent (from what I've heard) and really didn't teach any law. So while my classmates were going over their class notes trying to make sense of them, I read Dressler and a past outline. Then I took the outline into the (open book) exam and spent a lot of time making sure my exam was well-organized and legible. Honestly, I couldn't tell you anything beyond that. I didn't read anything in the casebook and napped when I should be in class, so I'm pretty sure it's probably a mistake of some kind. Hopefully they won't take it away from me now :lol:

Also, let it be known that this strategy didn't work for any of my other classes, so this is definitely a very strange occurrence.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

piccolittle wrote:
delusional wrote:
Congratulations.

I think it helped that our professor was majorly incompetent (from what I've heard) and really didn't teach any law. So while my classmates were going over their class notes trying to make sense of them, I read Dressler and a past outline. Then I took the outline into the exam and spent a lot of time making sure my exam was well-organized and legible. Honestly, I couldn't tell anything beyond that. I didn't read anything in the casebook and napped when I should be in class, so I'm pretty sure it's probably a mistake of some kind. Hopefully they won't take it away from me now :lol:

Also, let it be known that this strategy didn't work for any of my other classes, so this is definitely a very strange occurrence.

i honestly think this is just the best way to do crim. i went to every class and was just fucking LOST the entire semester, so i went crazy studying past exams and past outlines. on the exam i just outline dumped 8k words from a sweet outline that wasn't even for my prof (or school). best grade of 1L.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Woohoo class ranks came out!! 5/228!

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:10 pm

fatduck wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
delusional wrote:
Congratulations.

I think it helped that our professor was majorly incompetent (from what I've heard) and really didn't teach any law. So while my classmates were going over their class notes trying to make sense of them, I read Dressler and a past outline. Then I took the outline into the exam and spent a lot of time making sure my exam was well-organized and legible. Honestly, I couldn't tell anything beyond that. I didn't read anything in the casebook and napped when I should be in class, so I'm pretty sure it's probably a mistake of some kind. Hopefully they won't take it away from me now :lol:

i honestly think this is just the best way to do crim. i went to every class and was just fucking LOST the entire semester, so i went crazy studying past exams and past outlines. on the exam i just outline dumped 8k words from a sweet outline that wasn't even for my prof (or school). best grade of 1L.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:
A DS? Not a book prize. Can't they give out like 5 percent?My reference was specifically to schools who call the top honor a "book price." At Duke, at most five percent of the class can receive an A+ (4.1-4.3). However, the professor does not need to give out any A+s and the person who receives the highest grade in the class doesn't receive a "book prize," their accomplishment is simply recognized by the professor through either an e-mail or a phone call.

Dean's Scholar prizes go out to the top 0-2 people in the class. Though people here borrow the term "booking" from other schools because "DS'ing" just sounds weird.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 am

acrossthelake wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
A DS? Not a book prize. Can't they give out like 5 percent?My reference was specifically to schools who call the top honor a "book price." At Duke, at most five percent of the class can receive an A+ (4.1-4.3). However, the professor does not need to give out any A+s and the person who receives the highest grade in the class doesn't receive a "book prize," their accomplishment is simply recognized by the professor through either an e-mail or a phone call.

Dean's Scholar prizes go out to the top 0-2 people in the class. Though people here borrow the term "booking" from other schools because "DS'ing" just sounds weird.

it goes the other way, sometimes. i hear the university of miami prefers the term "DSing"

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Got owned last class. Fucking B-...Ruined my streak of A's and chances of transferring...

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

Makes sense. Top 5% in any one class at Duke is anywhere from at most 1 person to I think 2 or maybe three. So it works out about the same minus the fact that HLS classes probably have a larger number of students.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

Makes sense. Top 5% in any one class at Duke is anywhere from at most 1 person to I think 2 or maybe three. So it works out about the same minus the fact that HLS classes probably have a larger number of students.

Yeah the required 1L classes have 80+, sometimes a fair bit more with LLMs etc. in them, so DS ends up being I guess top 0-3%? So about the same.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:i honestly think this is just the best way to do crim. i went to every class and was just fucking LOST the entire semester, so i went crazy studying past exams and past outlines. on the exam i just outline dumped 8k words from a sweet outline that wasn't even for my prof (or school). best grade of 1L.

?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:35 pm

piccolittle wrote:
AZN MegaPoaster wrote:i honestly think this is just the best way to do crim. i went to every class and was just fucking LOST the entire semester, so i went crazy studying past exams and past outlines. on the exam i just outline dumped 8k words from a sweet outline that wasn't even for my prof (or school). best grade of 1L.

?

i think what he meant to say was "congrats on your A"

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm

The best grade I ended up getting this semester was also in the class I ended up attending the least (I probably showed up about 2/3 of the time) but I credit that to good boiler-plating. Actually, I credit all my good grades this semester to good boiler-plating. Really wish I had known that coming into exams in the fall...

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00 pm

LRW grade drops tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 pm

lnllnl wrote:Got owned last class. Fucking B-...Ruined my streak of A's and chances of transferring...

Realities of a TTTT:

1E/2E Advanced Torts
# people/Grade
01/A+
01/A
01/A-
09/B+
04/B
10/B-
22/C+
11/C
03/C-
03/D
03/F

Mean: 2.374
Median: 2.3
Mode: 2.3
Last edited by lnllnl on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 pm

lnllnl wrote:
lnllnl wrote:Got owned last class. Fucking B-...Ruined my streak of A's and chances of transferring...

Realities of a TTTT:

1E/2E Advanced Torts
# people/Grade
01/A+
01/A
01/A-
09/B+
04/B
10/B-
23/C+
11/C
03/C-
03/D
05/F

Mean: 2.3056

motherofgod.jpg

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 pm

fatduck wrote:
lnllnl wrote:

Realities of a TTTT:

1E/2E Advanced Torts
# people/Grade
01/A+
01/A
01/A-
09/B+
04/B
10/B-
23/C+
11/C
03/C-
03/D
05/F

motherofgod.jpg

My school doesn't rank. Should I email the grade distribution PDF to the schools I'm applying for? How else will schools know that this professor decided to delay submitting grades and then change his curve from a 2.6/2.7 in the fall semester for Torts to a 2.3 in the spring for Advanced Torts?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:56 pm

lnllnl wrote:

Realities of a TTTT:

1E/2E Advanced Torts
# people/Grade
01/A+
01/A
01/A-
09/B+
04/B
10/B-
23/C+
11/C
03/C-
03/D
05/F

Are they trying to promote suicide? :|

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 pm

kapital98 wrote:Are they trying to promote suicide? :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIIqYqtR1lY

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:LRW grade drops tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

:cry:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:LRW grade drops tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

:cry:

I won't be fun to be around tomorrow.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 pm

lnllnl wrote:

Realities of a TTTT:

1E/2E Advanced Torts
# people/Grade
01/A+
01/A
01/A-
09/B+
04/B
10/B-
23/C+
11/C
03/C-
03/D
05/F

FWIW, I go to a TTT30 and my property distribution was not too dissimilar from that.

lynch

Postby lynch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 am

that'a a good news! Good luck! :)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”