1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
piccolittle

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby piccolittle » Tue May 15, 2012 11:27 am

Ughhh had my first OCI nightmare last night. Horrific. Can't even imagine what it's going to be like after I get my failgrades back.
Last edited by piccolittle on Tue May 15, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

katjust

Postby katjust » Tue May 15, 2012 11:30 am

I am a 3L, and about to graduate.

But because I want to brag I decided to post in here.

I waited until this semester to take Con Law II.

I got an A+ in Con Law I, an A in Con Law II, and an A in Crim. Pro. So, I basically swept the Con Law category.

Just to note, I definitely did not get A's in everything in law school, but I am proud of those 3. Good luck to everyone.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 pm

katjust wrote:I am a 3L, and about to graduate.

I got an A+ in Con Law I, an A in Con Law II, and an A in Crim. Pro. So, I basically swept the Con Law category.

Just to note, I definitely did not get A's in everything in law school, but I am proud of those 3. Good luck to everyone.

High five?

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Cool.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue May 15, 2012 12:55 pm

buckilaw wrote:

Cool.

Doc review gig.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Tue May 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Joked about doc review with a 3L the other day. Big mistake.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 15, 2012 2:12 pm

I hope by the time I'm a 3L I'm over my grades.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue May 15, 2012 2:29 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I hope by the time I'm a 3L 2L I'm over my grades.

FTFY.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue May 15, 2012 3:53 pm

piccolittle wrote:Ughhh had my first OCI nightmare last night. Horrific. Can't even imagine what it's going to be like after I get my failgrades back.

I did OCI in the spring and the first interview was scary but by the time I reached the end, I was relaxed and kind of enjoyed them. I know fall is by far more high stakes, but the more practice you get, the better. I'm not terribly worried about it (though spring grades aren't in...). Wait until your grades come in. It will be okay....though I totally get the nightmares. I haven't had one in near a week about grades, but I'm sure its lurking below the surface.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue May 15, 2012 3:56 pm

jd7241 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
jd7241 wrote:My LW instructor accused me of plagiarism but did not give my final grade, can't wait to see how that goes. He told me my previous assignments did not suggest that I was capable of the work presented in the final assignment. I was then asked to talk about sources I used to write the paper, which I couldn't remember and then was asked to pick out sections of my paper compared to other students which I barely was able to do after 10 minutes of looking them all over. He jotted some notes then told me I could go. Not sure what to make of it, still in shock. Never been in this kind of situation before. And yes I 100% legit wrote the paper. So I guess I have nothing to worry about, try waiting that shit out. I stopped by the liquor store about it.

So You're imaginary C is looking good to me!

Oh that sucks. You didn't cite sources?

This is not the same, but at my school, we submit our briefs anonymously through Westlaw's Twen. Last year, somehow Westlaw mixed up submissions, so someone got a grade for someone else's paper (a failing grade). The LRW professor refused to believe Westlaw could somehow screw up, so it took the guy forever to get it sorted out, he therefore couldn't get on law review, he struck out at OCI and was told by employers if he had law review, they would have wanted him, and then finally, in October or something, they fixed his grade and recalculated his rank. Stuff like this scares me.

I think I was being accused of having someone else write it, he was not really clear about that part. So I guess that might not be plagiarism? It was a memo, cited sources. I was always at the median on his papers, did pretty well on the BS tests and aced any homework. I got an A on this paper, it was due a week before our first final. I got the impression some people slacked off on it in order to prepare for finals. I worked my ass off on it, which I hadn't done previously on the prior papers, instead of preparing for finals early like I feel like the majority of the class did. I was afraid of FAIL in that class, so simply I put in an effort. I got the impression the guy did not like me sort of early on during a required feedback meeting from one of our assignments.
Actually I just re-read it and honestly I think it sucks. It flows awful in my opinion but most of the allotted points came from the factual analysis, which I got full credit for. Its 9:40 something so I can still get Mcgriddle! Which I can chase with vodka/redbull. Then order my books for summer school that starts next week.........where is that damn vodka?

This is probably super nerve-wracking and I'm sorry that you have to experience this. You did the paper yourself, so you will be fine. Hang in there.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm

alicrimson wrote:
jd7241 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
jd7241 wrote:My LW instructor accused me of plagiarism but did not give my final grade, can't wait to see how that goes. He told me my previous assignments did not suggest that I was capable of the work presented in the final assignment. I was then asked to talk about sources I used to write the paper, which I couldn't remember and then was asked to pick out sections of my paper compared to other students which I barely was able to do after 10 minutes of looking them all over. He jotted some notes then told me I could go. Not sure what to make of it, still in shock. Never been in this kind of situation before. And yes I 100% legit wrote the paper. So I guess I have nothing to worry about, try waiting that shit out. I stopped by the liquor store about it.

So You're imaginary C is looking good to me!

Oh that sucks. You didn't cite sources?

This is not the same, but at my school, we submit our briefs anonymously through Westlaw's Twen. Last year, somehow Westlaw mixed up submissions, so someone got a grade for someone else's paper (a failing grade). The LRW professor refused to believe Westlaw could somehow screw up, so it took the guy forever to get it sorted out, he therefore couldn't get on law review, he struck out at OCI and was told by employers if he had law review, they would have wanted him, and then finally, in October or something, they fixed his grade and recalculated his rank. Stuff like this scares me.

I think I was being accused of having someone else write it, he was not really clear about that part. So I guess that might not be plagiarism? It was a memo, cited sources. I was always at the median on his papers, did pretty well on the BS tests and aced any homework. I got an A on this paper, it was due a week before our first final. I got the impression some people slacked off on it in order to prepare for finals. I worked my ass off on it, which I hadn't done previously on the prior papers, instead of preparing for finals early like I feel like the majority of the class did. I was afraid of FAIL in that class, so simply I put in an effort. I got the impression the guy did not like me sort of early on during a required feedback meeting from one of our assignments.
Actually I just re-read it and honestly I think it sucks. It flows awful in my opinion but most of the allotted points came from the factual analysis, which I got full credit for. Its 9:40 something so I can still get Mcgriddle! Which I can chase with vodka/redbull. Then order my books for summer school that starts next week.........where is that damn vodka?

This is probably super nerve-wracking and I'm sorry that you have to experience this. You did the paper yourself, so you will be fine. Hang in there.

In my previous career as a college instructor, the burden to disprove plagerism was always on the student. Be prepared to make a case that the work was your own. Do you have previous drafts (especially in hard copy with your handwritten corrections on them), working copies of unfinished sections, notes, preliminary outlines, your own research paper trail, or notes from the writing center? Try to find people that you either showed the paper to or talked about it with. The fact that the paper outpaced your previous work itself isn't a very strong case for cheating in my opinion, although I'm not in a place to judge, really. You should be able to work through this, but simply maintaining your innocence will not be enough. Your professional life may be at stake here, so do not take this too lightly and good luck!

jd7241

Postby jd7241 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Yes, I spoke to an attorney about it actually and he said it wouldn't be hard to show the metadata history on it, and I printed a bunch of cases out and highlighted things and wrote all my notes on the actual hard copy. I had several pages of notes on a legal pad but I ripped them off and threw them away. I still have the case hard copys with notes. The meta data should show a bunch of edits and saves by me at ungodly hours for 3 days. I have not been summoned yet but if I don't hear anything in the next two days I'm safe according to the school manual.

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:44 pm

ugh, im already starting to do the 'check my grades even though i know they're not released' thing. its gonna be a long few weeks til i finally get the news of how badly i did :(

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 am

got an email from a prof: Your grade is submitted and posted. have a good summer...... yup, not going to check that one until the rest are in. ( its the prof who has a lower curve than the rest of the school, so median is a C not a B)

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed May 16, 2012 11:20 am

northwood wrote:got an email from a prof: Your grade is submitted and posted. have a good summer...... yup, not going to check that one until the rest are in. ( its the prof who has a lower curve than the rest of the school, so median is a C not a B)

median is a C? ouch.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 am

yea- we were told day 1 that while she recognizes the schools curve, she believes that its unfair to string along those that can't grasp the material and as such she curves to a C ( and fails those who deserve to). She then went on to say that if you didnt want to do this, to go P/F.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Wed May 16, 2012 11:55 am

checking in. First final was about 2 weeks ago and last final was less than a week ago. Grades aren't supposed to be released until the end of the month and the wait is killing me already.

We did get our final paper back for advocacy, but the number is pretty meaningless without knowing what it translates to.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed May 16, 2012 11:57 am

First grade in. B- in contracts. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Worst test ever.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 pm

3|ink wrote:First grade in. B- in contracts. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Worst test ever.

Sorry dude :( I hope the rest turn out better.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm

checked the grade C+- it sucks, but on a C curve, guess it could be worse

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed May 16, 2012 12:34 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Thank you.

It gets better. I gave my outline to a friend who hadn't written one. I just learned he got a B+.

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed May 16, 2012 1:16 pm

3|ink wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Thank you.

It gets better. I gave my outline to a friend who hadn't written one. I just learned he got a B+.

Just goes to show hard work doesn't get you as far as you'd expect. LRW first semester I worked my butt off and worked on the memo every day. Pulled an all nighter for LRW second semester and got the same grade. Hardwork gets you far in life but not in law school :oops:

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

3|ink wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Thank you.

This is why you do the dickheaded thing and just dont help sectionmates. Like me.

Good luck with the rest of your grades Blinky.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed May 16, 2012 3:42 pm

UGH. Someone posted (a bit too enthusiastically for my taste) in our facebook group that our con law grades were posted. I was so excited not to worry about grades until June and be happy for a while. Well screw that. And my grade sucked. ugh.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:UGH. Someone posted (a bit too enthusiastically for my taste) in our facebook group that our con law grades were posted. I was so excited not to worry about grades until June and be happy for a while. Well screw that. And my grade sucked. ugh.

That shit is so annoying. Just when you don't want to think about it, you find shit like that. I unfriended some chick in my section because she pulled that shit last semester.

Word to the wise TLSers--if grades are posted, keep it to yourself.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”