1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chasgoose

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby chasgoose » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:58 pm

At my school most 1L SA's would probably have an offer or have been no offered before the deadline to cancel screeners happens. What's the harm in bidding on OCI just to keep things safe? Worst case scenario is that you don't hear about your offer/no offer status until after that deadline and you have to go to a bunch of screener interviews that were unnecessary.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:05 pm

ph14 wrote:My firm encouraged me to participate in OCI. Is there a junior associate you can ask? I have a hard time believing any mega firm cares.

My firm, as well. They pretty much said that offers wouldn't go out until probably after the screening time period, at least. But they have said that they hire 1Ls to bring back as 2Ls and that they want me to stay. So I will just have to wait a bit for an actual offer to come back as a 2L.

Pate

Postby Pate » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:02 am

I was advised that the BL 1L SA consensus on attending, or not attending OCI runs close to 50/50. Given that BL SA spots were very limited, it is not surprising that 50% would want to ride that gift horse across the finish line.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:36 am

Pate wrote:I was advised that the BL 1L SA consensus on attending, or not attending OCI runs close to 50/50. Given that BL SA spots were very limited, it is not surprising that 50% would want to ride that gift horse across the finish line.

Who told you that, CP&P?

Just because half the students make the wrong decision, doesn't make the decision NOT wrong.

Pate

Postby Pate » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 am

As a non-BL SA, the question on whether to pursue OCI is purely hypothetical. If I were making $14K a month and happy about my prospects of getting an offer, I would carefully weigh both sides. 50/50 is not surprising.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 am

Pate wrote:As a non-BL SA, the question on whether to pursue OCI is purely hypothetical. If I were making $14K a month and happy about my prospects of getting an offer, I would carefully weigh both sides. 50/50 is not surprising.

Making 14k a month is irrelevant to the situation. It's a matter of what you have to gain and what you have to lose. You have virtually nothing to gain, and a metric fuckton to lose. The odds of losing might be low, and if you know you're gonna get an offer then you don't have anything to lose except for experiencing a different firm.

Pate

Postby Pate » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:12 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Pate wrote:As a non-BL SA, the question on whether to pursue OCI is purely hypothetical. If I were making $14K a month and happy about my prospects of getting an offer, I would carefully weigh both sides. 50/50 is not surprising.

Making 14k a month is irrelevant to the situation. It's a matter of what you have to gain and what you have to lose. You have virtually nothing to gain, and a metric fuckton to lose. The odds of losing might be low, and if you know you're gonna get an offer then you don't have anything to lose except for experiencing a different firm.

I have no clue about what that pointless rambling was all about. Do not mean to be rude, but you just acheived ignore status. Au revoir.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Pate wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

I have no clue about what that pointless rambling was all about. Do not mean to be rude, but you just acheived ignore status. Au revoir.

dude, if you put a rock on one end of the scale, and a feather on the other, it's not going to balance, no matter how carefully you consider it.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Finally, enough people bugged one of the deans! The prof said he will be submitting grades on the 25th...Only taking 50 days...

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Finally got my grades. Finished the semester with over a 4.0.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Finally got my grades. Finished the semester with over a 4.0.

Damn son.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Finally got my grades. Finished the semester with over a 4.0.

I'm jelly :!: Way to kill 1L. Are you taking Evidence or BA next semester? (so that I know to drop those classes :/)

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Damn son.

Love the Archer 'tars.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Cade McNown wrote:

I'm jelly :!: Way to kill 1L. Are you taking Evidence or BA next semester? (so that I know to drop those classes :/)

lol sucks to be the beta bro asking these questions

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:lol sucks to be the beta bro asking these questions

So you got the joke. Nonprofit and I were section mates -- as long as I can avoid him/her in future classes, my forecast is models & bottles.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Cade McNown wrote:

So you got the joke. Nonprofit and I were section mates -- as long as I can avoid him/her in future classes, my forecast is models & bottles.

Haha I'm in neither. How'd ya like ole dix turning in grades at the 11th hour?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

Typical Dix chicken shit, but i expected nothing less. And did you see that Driver published and presented a paper on Warren Court decisions that were shamefully conservative? --LinkRemoved-- That bastard used our exams as free research!

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:31 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

Typical Dix chicken shit, but i expected nothing less. And did you see that Driver published and presented a paper on Warren Court decisions that were shamefully conservative? --LinkRemoved-- That bastard used our exams as free research!

yea I saw that. Funny stuff. Though I'm not sure how much a bunch of 1Ls really helped him out. :D Dude is smart.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:39 pm

yeah of course. Really it shows that he's just as lazy as some of our other profs though. Anyway, congrats on the great grades. I know you were considering transferring, and I think you're a shoe in now for one of YSH.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Cade McNown wrote:yeah of course. Really it shows that he's just as lazy as some of our other profs though. Anyway, congrats on the great grades. I know you were considering transferring, and I think you're a shoe in now for one of YSH.

Yea I'm probably not going to transfer. I just need leverage to ask for money, because I'm basically paying sticker.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:yeah of course. Really it shows that he's just as lazy as some of our other profs though. Anyway, congrats on the great grades. I know you were considering transferring, and I think you're a shoe in now for one of YSH.

Yea I'm probably not going to transfer. I just need leverage to ask for money, because I'm basically paying sticker.

Does that really work often? I've thought about doing that but getting rec letters + writing a personal statement and stuff to feign transferring seems like an awkward process to go through

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:23 am

Flips88 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Does that really work often? I've thought about doing that but getting rec letters + writing a personal statement and stuff to feign transferring seems like an awkward process to go through

Yea I don't know if the leverage idea will work, but I do know my school offers additional scholarships to students who do well. I'm just trying to make the best case for a scholarship that I can.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:31 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Yea I don't know if the leverage idea will work, but I do know my school offers additional scholarships to students who do well. I'm just trying to make the best case for a scholarship that I can.

I may give the ol' "Hey, i'm not as dumb as you thought I was, can I have some money, please?" a whirl, but I expect to be told no and maybe laughed at.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:36 am

Flips88 wrote:Does that really work often? I've thought about doing that but getting rec letters + writing a personal statement and stuff to feign transferring seems like an awkward process to go through

It definitely works. Schools including UT typically at least reapportion the scholarship commitments abandoned by students who transfer out. Whether it's worth it is another matter, but for someone like nonprofit who's top 1% with only a small scholly, it makes sense.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 pm

i know this is a shitty thing to bitch about, but if i'd got A+'s instead of A's in the two classes i booked, i'd almost certainly be #1 in my class. fuck.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”