1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lasers

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Lasers » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Each school has their own limit. We are allowed 35 bids and we are encouraged to use them all. I also find OCI totally overwhelming and kinda scary :(

Glad I'm not the only one. Besides, you have great grades, what are you worried about? I was horrified I would barely qualify for any interviews because everything is top 20%, but TLS says to just submit to the places I want to work anyways.

In case nobody here knows, I go to UF and finished top third.

I'm not that worried about getting interviews because I'm around 10%, but I'm really worried about getting cbs/offers. I don't know anything about the FL market (I'm guessing you're bidding there?) but the state of the bay area as described on TLS scares the shit out of me. I'm just nervous the interviewer will be thinking "we're just going to hire Boalt/Stanford, why am I even here?" the whole time we're talking.

I'm fortunate enough to technically meet the cut-off for many firms. Of course that doesn't matter because the technical cutoff doesn't correlate with the de facto cutoff.

I might be able to score a handful of interviews if I'm really lucky (especially because of the bogus lottery system.) However, that doesn't mean much.

It's just a huge mindfuck to make people believe they have a chance.

yep, this...

making every cutoff doesn't mean you actually have a chance at every (or ANY) firm...it's really annoying (and depressing). wish firms were a bit more transparent so we don't have to waste our time on firms that aren't serious about hiring.

still, just getting your foot in the door is half the battle; from what i've read, a good interview can make up a whole lot.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm

ilovesf wrote::( I have no conception of my chance at any firm. I'm going to make an appointment with the career office for next week if I can leave work early. How you started arranging your bids, etc?

top 10% should have a chance at just about any firm from what i've been told. your grades won't shut any doors, but you also have to proactively "take" the job with a good interview.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Our grades are coming out Friday :shock:

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:36 am

I only have two grades back. This is crazy. We're supposed to have them back by Friday, but I wouldn't bet on it. So frustrated....

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Why does it take the registrar so long to compute ranks? Last semester, it took two days after all grades were posted. This semester, it's going to take about 4 weeks from the grade deadline.

Edit: I say this because my OCI bids are due before my rank will be released, which is frustrating.

Pate

Postby Pate » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Jessuf wrote:Why does it take the registrar so long to compute ranks? Last semester, it took two days after all grades were posted. This semester, it's going to take about 4 weeks from the grade deadline.

Edit: I say this because my OCI bids are due before my rank will be released, which is frustrating.

From someone whose LS does not rank. What are the ups/downs of having a ranking?

Instead of me theorizing numerous scenarios, perhaps best to just sit back and read what this is all about.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Jessuf wrote:Why does it take the registrar so long to compute ranks? Last semester, it took two days after all grades were posted. This semester, it's going to take about 4 weeks from the grade deadline.

Aren't you in the top 1%? What meaningful difference could there be if your grades didn't change?

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:24 pm

HLS spring 2012 grades just posted...

...one day after they said they wouldn't be up til Friday!

Not complaining!

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 pm

bedefan wrote:HLS spring 2012 grades just posted...

Not complaining!

Same. Tricky registrar's office. Guess that wasn't "maintenance" after all. But yeah, definitely not complaining, and I did a bit better than I expected as well.

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:57 pm

ph14 wrote:
bedefan wrote:HLS spring 2012 grades just posted...

Not complaining!

Same. Tricky registrar's office. Guess that wasn't "maintenance" after all. But yeah, definitely not complaining, and I did a bit better than I expected as well.
After the discussion on TLS about the posting time, and the citation to the "delay" that was posted on the clerkship blog, I sent them an email saying that they should at least give a concrete date - if they beat it, no one will mind, and if they miss it, people will understand as long as they're as open as they can be.

I guess that they did me one better.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Now to make my bid list. I need to figure out market(s) first though :oops:.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 pm

ph14 wrote:Now to make my bid list. I need to figure out market(s) first though :oops:.

Just bid on everything!

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Went in to see my Contracts prof today and we went over the final. She gave me an extra point on one of my essays. Grade jumped from a B+ to A-. Fuck yeah! Still waiting for my Torts grade though...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:17 pm

lnllnl wrote:Went in to see my Contracts prof today and we went over the final. She gave me an extra point on one of my essays. Grade jumped from a B+ to A-. Fuck yeah! Still waiting for my Torts grade though...

God damn, I want that! Also, how is that allowed once grades have been posted?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Luckily (?) for me, I've had my grades back for a couple of weeks. Can I use this space to complain about waiting for the results of the law-review write-on?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:42 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Luckily (?) for me, I've had my grades back for a couple of weeks. Can I use this space to complain about waiting for the results of the law-review write-on?

Go for it. Still around a month for us I think too. Doesn't give us a huge amount of time to adjust our bid lists either.

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm

piccolittle wrote:
lnllnl wrote:Went in to see my Contracts prof today and we went over the final. She gave me an extra point on one of my essays. Grade jumped from a B+ to A-. Fuck yeah! Still waiting for my Torts grade though...

God damn, I want that! Also, how is that allowed once grades have been posted?

Maybe an initial goal of a 2.6 curve allows for more leeway? I dunno but I'll take it!

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:I'm fortunate enough to technically meet the cut-off for many firms. Of course that doesn't matter because the technical cutoff doesn't correlate with the de facto cutoff.

I might be able to score a handful of interviews if I'm really lucky (especially because of the bogus lottery system.) However, that doesn't mean much.

:( I have no conception of my chance at any firm. I'm going to make an appointment with the career office for next week if I can leave work early. How you started arranging your bids, etc?

Today I asked my boss for a job. She said YES! If all else fails I can be a Public Defender.

Now I know I can be 100% aggressive at OCI. I'm going to give all 35 bids towards fringe large firms. This means all firms allowing "Top 25%" applicants who still pay market rates. I'm also going to target the markets traditionally underbid (Which means SF is essentially out of the picture.) My strategy is to take every possible advantage to close the gap with better qualified applicants.

I'm going to start doing serious research in the next few days.

Sf, I'm assuming you're going to target firms in SF? :P

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote::( I have no conception of my chance at any firm. I'm going to make an appointment with the career office for next week if I can leave work early. How you started arranging your bids, etc?

top 10% should have a chance at just about any firm from what i've been told. your grades won't shut any doors, but you also have to proactively "take" the job with a good interview.

I found this to be incredibly helpful. It's also relatively short.

http://www.amazon.com/Nail-Your-Law-Job-interview/dp/1601630530/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339715461&sr=8-1&keywords=interview+firm+job

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:I'm fortunate enough to technically meet the cut-off for many firms. Of course that doesn't matter because the technical cutoff doesn't correlate with the de facto cutoff.

:( I have no conception of my chance at any firm. I'm going to make an appointment with the career office for next week if I can leave work early. How you started arranging your bids, etc?

Today I asked my boss for a job. She said YES! If all else fails I can be a Public Defender.

Now I know I can be 100% aggressive at OCI. I'm going to give all 35 bids towards fringe large firms. This means all firms allowing "Top 25%" applicants who still pay market rates. I'm also going to target the markets traditionally underbid (Which means SF is essentially out of the picture.) My strategy is to take every possible advantage to close the gap with better qualified applicants.

Congrats :) Yeah, almost exclusively SF. I'll bid on a couple of firms in SV, but mostly SF. Depending on how my list ends up, I might bid DA too because they have a ton of interview spots.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 pm

ilovesf wrote:Congrats :) Yeah, almost exclusively SF. I'll bid on a couple of firms in SV, but mostly SF. Depending on how my list ends up, I might bid DA too because they have a ton of interview spots.

DA as in District Attorney? OMG, that's terrible :cry:

I always saw you as more of a "save the world" person rather than "tough on crime." You can put away the good people while I keep the bad ones on the street.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Congrats :) Yeah, almost exclusively SF. I'll bid on a couple of firms in SV, but mostly SF. Depending on how my list ends up, I might bid DA too because they have a ton of interview spots.

DA as in District Attorney? OMG, that's terrible :cry:

I always saw you as more of a "save the world" person rather than "tough on crime." You can put away the good people while I keep the bad ones on the street.

:lol: I had to volunteer for the PD office in Baltimore in college in my criminal justice class and I didn't really like it. A lot of the people really needed help and got off because police officers never came to court and the people would just be off the hook. It really didn't sit well with me.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:26 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

i like that strategy. since you have a job in hand, you can afford to go for broke at OCI.

i'm bidding pretty conservatively. besides maybe jones day/mofo and maybe 2-3 others i won't be bidding on other v50 firms. i'm peppering lower v50-v100 + top regional firms.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Lasers wrote:i like that strategy. since you have a job in hand, you can afford to go for broke at OCI.

i'm bidding pretty conservatively. besides maybe jones day/mofo and maybe 2-3 others i won't be bidding on other v50 firms. i'm peppering lower v50-v100 + top regional firms.

I haven't started making my bid list yet. Maybe we should make a Hastings oci thread?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:57 pm

I am not sure if I should target DC, NY, or LA where I have ties. Top 15% at T20. Would prefer DC or LA but heard NY is easier and I really don't want to get shut out.

What would you guys recommend?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”