1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Lasers wrote:
lisavj wrote:
DildaMan wrote:Waiting on tax to make or break me.

^this. On the plus side ran the numbers last night and I'll have a 3.5 even if I failed. But I'd rather not fail.

haha, if by fail you mean a D or F, i can tell you with confidence you did not fail. :)

Did you guys like tax? I feel like I have to take it. I might take it next semester with morse, but I heard better things about fields so I'm not sure what to do.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:
lisavj wrote:

^this. On the plus side ran the numbers last night and I'll have a 3.5 even if I failed. But I'd rather not fail.

haha, if by fail you mean a D or F, i can tell you with confidence you did not fail. :)

Did you guys like tax? I feel like I have to take it. I might take it next semester with morse, but I heard better things about fields so I'm not sure what to do.

Fields was an awesome teacher, and surprisingly tax was one of my favorite classes this semester. I have no clue how Morse is though. Fields doesn't answer stupid questions, which is a refreshing quality in a law professor.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Lasers wrote:
i just mean to imply she wouldn't fall into that category.

Aww thx :)

Loved tax. Wish we had more pxtc MC, but the lexis iPad q&a app rocked...
Field knows her stuff solid *and* has a cute dog :). I'd recommend the class. Hoping I did well bc I could see myself as a tax lawyer...

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Ugh. I wish I had taken tax instead of immigration.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:37 pm

ilovesf wrote:Ugh. I wish I had taken tax instead of immigration.

Was immigration that bad?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Is there wailing and gnashing of teeth among Hastings TLSers now?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:54 pm

DildaMan wrote:

I liked immigration. The material was interesting and the class was incredibly diverse. I also loved having a take-home midterm and final. Take-home exams are my strong suit.

However, I'm also in LEOP. LEOP students got a lot of help in the course. 1/2 the students were in LEOP because of self-selection (they tend to prefer immigration issues.) So I can understand if a non-LEOP person didn't like it.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:Is there wailing and gnashing of teeth among Hastings TLSers now?

Only melancholy and infinite sadness. It will probably get worse with time and lingering unemployment.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:57 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:
lisavj wrote:

I had Morse as an academic advisor. She's very kind and supportive. However, she speaks with a slight lisp so that might get under your skin with time.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:16 pm

kapital98 wrote:
DildaMan wrote:

I liked immigration. The material was interesting and the class was incredibly diverse. I also loved having a take-home midterm and final. Take-home exams are my strong suit.

However, I'm also in LEOP. LEOP students got a lot of help in the course. 1/2 the students were in LEOP because of self-selection (they tend to prefer immigration issues.) So I can understand if a non-LEOP person didn't like it.

It was interesting and light in work. His grading though blows my mind. I went over several old tests with him and my full essay responses and he said they were great. I did the exact same thing on the test and got a bad grade. I just don't understand him. He's a really nice guy though and I like him as a person, but I'm really frustrated.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:It was interesting and light in work. His grading though blows my mind. I went over several old tests with him and my full essay responses and he said they were great. I did the exact same thing on the test and got a bad grade. I just don't understand him. He's a really nice guy though and I like him as a person, but I'm really frustrated.

Same thing happened to me in Torts. For Con Law, my professor said if you make typos you are stupid and deserve to fail/die.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:43 pm

abc12345675 wrote:Went from a pathetic 2.52 first semester to a 3.45 this semester. Now basically back to median (which is 3.0 at my school), which is pretty remarkable considering that first semester. Very glad I ignored advice to drop out.

My approach:
- No notes during class this semester. Just sit and listen and absorb. zone out in class
- No making my own outline. Just memorized old ones
- LEARN how to take exams, not just take practice exams where I do the same wrong stuff every time. For me, this was cutting out the paragraphs of background info I gave on exams in 1st semester and modifying IRAC to CRAC, which 2 of my professors told me was much better.

I slightly modified your approach for how I approached class this semester :). Congrats on the huge improvement by the way.

Anyways, got my last grade back: A- in con law. GPA this semester: 3.7, overall GPA 3.6.

Through countless hours of scouring through TLS, I've been able to guesstimate that my overall GPA of a 3.6 is around top 20% of the class, which I'm thrilled about. Did better this semester while putting in probably 1/2 the effort I put in last semester.

acg

Postby acg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Is it normal for legal writing to be the last grade I'm waiting on? I calle the registrar and they said despite the last assignment being due in March and having all our assignment grades back, we won't get the actual final grade until 4 weeks after the last final.. That seems a tad ridiculous to me, no? (end.rant)

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm

It is ridiculous how long it takes to get a legal writing grade. I don't know about your school, but at ours all the writing professors are adjunct and have real jobs in addition to teaching though, so I cut them a little slack. Still.. almost two months to grade ~45 papers is a liiiitle ridiculous.

We get all our grades back at once, so I can understand waiting to release the actual grade, but I'd at least like my score on my final brief so I have a better idea of what to expect for my actual grade. :x

acg

Postby acg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:06 pm

My legal writing class had about 16 students and my professor taught 2 sections. She finished grading our final memos by the second week in April and released the grades to us 3 weeks ago. Just want to see how the raw grades play out into a curve..

I have a feeling it's more of a school policy though, which infuriates me even more..

pballer

Postby pballer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:22 pm

I only have my LRW grade and one other out of 5 grades. I'd love to have all but LRW; count yourself lucky.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Finally got my last grade for the semester; almost exactly the same as last semester. Let's just hope the honors cut-offs drop for the cumulative year.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Just finished my last final, so officially joining the wait.

Haven't gotten LRW final grade yet, but so far my memo and brief grade tell me that LRW is not my strong suit.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Just finished my last final, so officially joining the wait.

Haven't gotten LRW final grade yet, but so far my memo and brief grade tell me that LRW is not my strong suit.

Amen.

And Duke should be releasing grades by Friday!

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Just finished my last final, so officially joining the wait.

As I've said before, LRW grading is a joke. One guy in my LRW section had 2 A's and 2 A-'s in his doctrinal classes in the fall semester, and a B- LRW. Ridiculous.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

As I've said before, LRW grading is a joke. One guy in my LRW section had 2 A's and 2 A-'s in his doctrinal classes in the fall semester, and a B- LRW. Ridiculous.

My school doesn't do letter grades but I think my LARW grade will be in the B/B- range, unfortunately.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:03 pm

I got a congratulations e-mail today for getting the best brief grade and an invitation to join moot court. Makes me almost sad to be transferring because I will miss out on a bunch of opportunities by leaving my old school. I really wanted to do moot court for the traveling.

And grades were due today, and I'm still waiting while the other sections have all of their grades. :?

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:08 pm

"I got a low grade in legal writing, so grading in legal writing is BS"

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Stringer6 wrote:"I got a low grade in legal writing, so grading in legal writing is BS"

Is this a claim you're making, or are you accusing people in this thread of this? Because if it's the latter, sorry your butt is hurt that nobody respects your tiny pink LRW grade.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Stringer6 wrote:"I got a low grade in legal writing, so grading in legal writing is BS"

I wish that it was either ungraded or worth a proportional number of credits to the amount of work the class requires.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”