1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beachbum

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby beachbum » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:30 am

Hopefully grades will be out next week, so I'll make this prediction for shits n gigs, just to see if I'm right:

Torts > Crim >> Conlaw

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am

I am starting to get rather depressed about grades. My grades were supposed to come out last Friday, but did not because my school kinda sucks.

I have convinced myself that I have gotten a B(medium) on everything and I have done horrible and will not be able to transfer to the school of my dreams, be trapped in an insurmountable amount of debt, and have no job prospects to pay it off.

I am beginning to ask myself the question if I am even going to able to look at my grades because I am so freaked out and every time I get an email saying that grades will be delayed the fear get worse.

I remember bitching about the LSAT coming but this is sheer hell.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am

jarofsoup wrote:I am starting to get rather depressed about grades. My grades were supposed to come out last Friday, but did not because my school kinda sucks.

I have convinced myself that I have gotten a B(medium) on everything and I have done horrible and will not be able to transfer to the school of my dreams, be trapped in an insurmountable amount of debt, and have no job prospects to pay it off.

I am beginning to ask myself the question if I am even going to able to look at my grades because I am so freaked out and every time I get an email saying that grades will be delayed the fear get worse.

Have a drink, dude

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:25 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I am starting to get rather depressed about grades. My grades were supposed to come out last Friday, but did not because my school kinda sucks.

No comparison with OCI waiting.

Chain smoked constantly until I got my first offer. Immediately threw away the pack.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:

No comparison with OCI waiting.

Chain smoked constantly until I got my first offer. Immediately threw away the pack.

I have been drinking quite a bit in the evenings. I also did not touch booze the last two months of school so I am making up for loss time. I think law school definitely makes students develop unhealthy ways to deal with stress, since there is so much of it.

A lot of people who had quit smoking at my school picked the pack up again at finals time.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Starting to realize the worst part about this profession is the constant waiting. LSAT grades, admission decisions, law school grades, write on results, job applications decisions, waiting for a jury, waiting for a decision on your appeal, etc. It never stops.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:49 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Starting to realize the worst part about this profession is the constant waiting. LSAT grades, admission decisions, law school grades, write on results, job applications decisions, waiting for a jury, waiting for a decision on your appeal, etc. It never stops.

You can always transfer to B-school. I bet they accept a lot of the credits into an MBA as electives from 1L.
Last edited by jurisx on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:04 pm

LSAT wait is by far the worst by simple virtue of the fact that it is the most career-defining moment and it comes at one point in time. With school acceptances, grades and job offers they all trickle in.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Tanicius wrote:LSAT wait is by far the worst by simple virtue of the fact that it is the most career-defining moment and it comes at one point in time. With school acceptances, grades and job offers they all trickle in.

Grades don't trickle in for me...worse than the LSAT. You can retake the LSAT; you can't retake 1L. Your 1L GPA can really define your job opportunities.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:LSAT wait is by far the worst by simple virtue of the fact that it is the most career-defining moment and it comes at one point in time. With school acceptances, grades and job offers they all trickle in.

Grades don't trickle in for me...worse than the LSAT. You can retake the LSAT; you can't retake 1L. Your 1L GPA can really define your job opportunities.

tell that to the people who do (and not by choice)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:10 pm

jurisx wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

retake 1L?

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Flips88 wrote:
jurisx wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

retake 1L?

The classes that make it up anyways, yeah. Get a few D's see how that goes and what comes next. There you go. Seen it happen.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:15 pm

jurisx wrote:The classes that make it up anyways, yeah. Get a few D's see how that goes and what comes next. There you go. Seen it happen.

If you're flunking 1L might be best to pack it up and find a new career path

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:
jurisx wrote:The classes that make it up anyways, yeah. Get a few D's see how that goes and what comes next. There you go. Seen it happen.

and yet so many don't.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:46 pm

jurisx wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

and yet so many don't.
A friend of mine failed out of law school almost a decade ago. He's back at it again, top 5%, crushin' at his summer job now. It's not impossible, but definitely a bit crazy.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:47 pm

TTTLS wrote:
jurisx wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

and yet so many don't.
A friend of mine failed out of law school almost a decade ago. He's back at it again, top 5%, crushin' at his summer job now. It's not impossible, but definitely a bit crazy.

must have been studying up the whole time off. Kudoes to him. Awsome.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Ha ha I was wondering whether he had studied the whole time. I think though that ten years as a dropout working horrible jobs was enough motivation for him to dominate law school.

Edit: Also having a child is pretty motivating as well.
Last edited by TTTLS on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Think he was just one of those "I don't really want to be here" types that post here all the dang time when he first started? I could see not trying ruin study habits.

Postby 071816 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Medium?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:25 pm

chimp wrote:

Medium?

pretty sure an A is "large" and a C is "small" at that school.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:40 am

Our school accidentally released just one grade, which was just the 10% midterm. I got a B+ on it and was about to drown my sorrows. And then they emailed us saying "oops, disregard that". Still waiting and musing over NIED and recouping some debt. Jk. But maybe not if I have a case.

pballer

Postby pballer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

been sitting on 2/5 grades for a week and a half now..........

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Our school accidentally released just one grade, which was just the 10% midterm. I got a B+ on it and was about to drown my sorrows. And then they emailed us saying "oops, disregard that". Still waiting and musing over NIED and recouping some debt. Jk. But maybe not if I have a case.

Midterms don't mean squat anyways. That's why most classes don't bother with them after first term.

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Last edited by heeloftar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:14 pm

1-10, but you know as well as anyone on these forums that its completely dependent on how those around you faired. Definite answers are impossible.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”