1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
r6_philly

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:46 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

Also we have other grades back but no LRW still and it is a bit frustrating because the last assignment was due almost two months ago. <_<

I actually think it should be 24 hour take home open book, or at least 8 hours. It's more like what we do in practice. It advantage people who can learn issues thoroughly and put together a good answer.

You act like when you're practicing you never have meetings with clients where they ask you a question and expect a reasonably high quality response on the spot. Between meetings like that and phone conversations with clients, it isn't that strange to want to test being able to come up with stuff on the spot.

Also, this is based on a huge assumption that tests are/should be similar to practicing law.

A reasonably high quality response should generally be followed up with "let me check into that to confirm." Then you call your associates to do the research and return with a high quality memo. then you call your client back to report the findings.

There is no assumption also. It's my opinion that it should.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:03 am

My school is going to be almost a week over there stated deadline in releasing grades. Should I bitch?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:08 am

jarofsoup wrote:My school is going to be almost a week over there stated deadline in releasing grades. Should I bitch?

Yes. But not at professors. Email the registrar just to ask where they are in their process. You want the registrar bugging the profs rather than you.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:26 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:My school is going to be almost a week over there stated deadline in releasing grades. Should I bitch?

Yes. But not at professors. Email the registrar just to ask where they are in their process. You want the registrar bugging the profs rather than you.

How do you like Michigan? I am nervous about grades because I would like to transfer schools and I am terrified of dropping in rank.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:30 am

Just got my grades. 3 A's, A-, and B. Extremely happy. Now to get these transfer apps out ASAP

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 am

jarofsoup wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

How do you like Michigan? I am nervous about grades because I would like to transfer schools and I am terrified of dropping in rank.

I like it, but if you want more information I'd go over to viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106319

Any questions will be better dealt with there instead of in this thread. Keg411 can deal with transfer questions that I can't.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:53 am

Ugh.

My first two grades were great. I got bumped from a 3.2 up to a 3.32. Then my final grade, the exam I felt best about, was my worst grade. Dropped me back to a 3.27. Wouldn't matter too much, except that I'm bidding DC.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Totally fucked:

A-, 2 B+s and a B- for a median semester GPA. Went from a 3.76 to a 3.5.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm

3|ink wrote:Totally fucked:

Thats a high median uh...where do you go?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 pm

splitmuch wrote:

It isn't that high a median. His median GPA this semester was about a 3.24 if it moved his 3.76 to a 3.5.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:52 pm

I have classmates in other sections that have all their grades. Still not a single grade from mine. Figured they'd have to have something done by this Friday. Guess not.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:50 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

It isn't that high a median. His median GPA this semester was about a 3.24 if it moved his 3.76 to a 3.5.

Right, and I constantly hear that Northwestern has a generous curve due to its 3.3 median...I really just wanted to know if my grades were released

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Ugh... all these gpa slips are scaring the shit out of me.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

Also we have other grades back but no LRW still and it is a bit frustrating because the last assignment was due almost two months ago. <_<

I actually think it should be 24 hour take home open book, or at least 8 hours. It's more like what we do in practice. It advantage people who can learn issues thoroughly and put together a good answer.

You act like when you're practicing you never have meetings with clients where they ask you a question and expect a reasonably high quality response on the spot. Between meetings like that and phone conversations with clients, it isn't that strange to want to test being able to come up with stuff on the spot.

Also, this is based on a huge assumption that tests are/should be similar to practicing law.

A reasonably high quality response should generally be followed up with "let me check into that to confirm." Then you call your associates to do the research and return with a high quality memo. then you call your client back to report the findings.

There is no assumption also. It's my opinion that it should.

Even though it's your opinion, that doesn't mean it isn't an assumption. It's not like exams in other areas of education are very good at testing quality of professional service. Hell, professional certification exams aren't very good at it.

And to address the original point, it may be professionally responsible to do that regardless, but your client is going to want a real answer on the spot and you don't want to have to call them back saying you were wrong before. Do that regularly and you'll surely lose business.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:01 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Even though it's your opinion, that doesn't mean it isn't an assumption. It's not like exams in other areas of education are very good at testing quality of professional service. Hell, professional certification exams aren't very good at it.

And to address the original point, it may be professionally responsible to do that regardless, but your client is going to want a real answer on the spot and you don't want to have to call them back saying you were wrong before. Do that regularly and you'll surely lose business.

You guys are seriously arguing about whether it's normal to take upwards of a day to research something that is complicated enough to require research? It is.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Tanicius wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Even though it's your opinion, that doesn't mean it isn't an assumption. It's not like exams in other areas of education are very good at testing quality of professional service. Hell, professional certification exams aren't very good at it.

You guys are seriously arguing about whether it's normal to take upwards of a day to research something that is complicated enough to require research? It is.

Sweet tautology brah.

And that's not the point at issue at all.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 pm

fuck crimlaw and that B+. just missing the grade-on cutoff now. is it "fml" if I really don't want to do the journal work?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:03 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

I think the median is slightly lower.

Still. FUCK.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:18 pm

*EDIT: I'm sorry for this unabashed bragging. I had to tell someone, and random folks on the internets seemed like a good choice.
Last edited by PinkCow on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:48 pm

3|ink wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

I think the median is slightly lower.

Still. FUCK.

Are things looking that bad at GMU? A 3.5 would be what, top third-ish?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Barring an A in my last two classes, looks like I won't be grading onto LR. Was really hoping to not have to read this write on packet.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:03 pm

I wish my school did grade-on to LR. I just said fuck it and submitted the thing I'm calling my write-on submission.

Got 2 grades so far. Thought I had done horribly this semester, but already pulled off 2 A's. I'll take an A- and B+ (median) the rest of the way and be thrilled.

ETA: I still don't understand how our legal writing prof's haven't finished grades yet. We were done with that class in mid-April. WTF have they been doing?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:54 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
fatduck wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

man, i type close to 200 wpm and i love word-limited exams - i like that i have an incentive to turn in my best arguments, not the most arguments. i also feel like it makes outlining less important, and i hate outlining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nI1DrESRQw

i think this was about 170 on typeracer. my max is probably around 180.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:51 pm

fatduck wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
fatduck wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

man, i type close to 200 wpm and i love word-limited exams - i like that i have an incentive to turn in my best arguments, not the most arguments. i also feel like it makes outlining less important, and i hate outlining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nI1DrESRQw

lol wtf why should we believe that is 170 wpm

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:55 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:
fatduck wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nI1DrESRQw

lol wtf why should we believe that is 170 wpm

from the movement of the keyboard, obviously

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”