1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
yabuddy
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby yabuddy » Thu May 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Still waiting on 1 grade . . .

Did the math and if I get an A, my cumulative GPA will stay the same. Anything less and my GPA goes down, how shitty is that.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby fatduck » Thu May 31, 2012 10:17 pm

yabuddy wrote:Still waiting on 1 grade . . .

Did the math and if I get an A, my cumulative GPA will stay the same. Anything less and my GPA goes down, how shitty is that.

that's true for anyone with a gpa over 3.7, right? or am i terrible at math?

just got con law. 2 more to go. i love that contracts (a 2400 word-limit exam) will be last. lulz.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu May 31, 2012 10:21 pm

fatduck wrote:
yabuddy wrote:Still waiting on 1 grade . . .

Did the math and if I get an A, my cumulative GPA will stay the same. Anything less and my GPA goes down, how shitty is that.

that's true for anyone with a gpa over 3.7, right? or am i terrible at math?

just got con law. 2 more to go. i love that contracts (a 2400 word-limit exam) will be last. lulz.


nope. His GPA wouldn't stay the same. He'd have to be in the 3.9s or so for it to stay the same.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu May 31, 2012 10:21 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
shock259 wrote:Got crim back. Medianpwned. Fucking exams with word limits. HORSE SHIT.

Thankfully I booked property. Somehow.

All that's left now is con law. If I book it, I can probably squeak by in the top 10. If A-, top 12ish. If I get another mediapwned, I'll be down to the top 18ish or so.

What a dumb semester. Harumph.


While I do not really like word limited exams either, they certainly test your knowledge and how succinctly you can make your point much better than word-spewing, race-horse in-class and unlimited worded exams. How many words you can type shouldn't be the determinative factor in your class rank IMO.

You can just be thankful I guess that you weren't at law school in my section. Four out of six of my 1L exams were word limited.


IMO, closed book/note exams are worse than word-litied exams. Even worse was my fall torts exam, both closed everything and very word limited (2500). And the prof expected use to cite cases by name. Ugh. Explains my C+.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby fatduck » Thu May 31, 2012 10:23 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
fatduck wrote:
yabuddy wrote:Still waiting on 1 grade . . .

Did the math and if I get an A, my cumulative GPA will stay the same. Anything less and my GPA goes down, how shitty is that.

that's true for anyone with a gpa over 3.7, right? or am i terrible at math?

just got con law. 2 more to go. i love that contracts (a 2400 word-limit exam) will be last. lulz.


nope. His GPA wouldn't stay the same. He'd have to be in the 3.9s or so for it to stay the same.

oh, yea. i just meant the "anything less than an A and my GPA goes down" part.

User avatar
AZN MegaPoaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
shock259 wrote:Got crim back. Medianpwned. Fucking exams with word limits. HORSE SHIT.

Thankfully I booked property. Somehow.

All that's left now is con law. If I book it, I can probably squeak by in the top 10. If A-, top 12ish. If I get another mediapwned, I'll be down to the top 18ish or so.

What a dumb semester. Harumph.


While I do not really like word limited exams either, they certainly test your knowledge and how succinctly you can make your point much better than word-spewing, race-horse in-class and unlimited worded exams. How many words you can type shouldn't be the determinative factor in your class rank IMO.

You can just be thankful I guess that you weren't at law school in my section. Four out of six of my 1L exams were word limited.


IMO, closed book/note exams are worse than word-litied exams. Even worse was my fall torts exam, both closed everything and very word limited (2500). And the prof expected use to cite cases by name. Ugh. Explains my C+.


closed book/note exams are my favorite, but I have the memory of an elephant

User avatar
JoeFish
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby JoeFish » Thu May 31, 2012 10:42 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote:closed book/note exams are my favorite, but I have the memory of an elephant


I have a darn good memory and still prefer open-book exams (and GPA on them was .17 higher than on closed-book). I find that I can maximize the use of my memory when I'm splitting it between remembering law and remembering what page, and where on that page, a particular piece of information is (if you give me the page number that a certain sentence is on, I can generally recall the physical location of that sentence on the page).

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby akili » Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Got Con Law back and did a lot better than I expected. So so so happy.

I don't know what it is but this semester is going a MILLION times better than last. However, still have crim and contracts left. K's will undoubtedly be horrendous. I'm cautiously optimistic about crim though.

User avatar
AZN MegaPoaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Thu May 31, 2012 10:59 pm

JoeFish wrote:
AZN MegaPoaster wrote:closed book/note exams are my favorite, but I have the memory of an elephant


I have a darn good memory and still prefer open-book exams (and GPA on them was .17 higher than on closed-book). I find that I can maximize the use of my memory when I'm splitting it between remembering law and remembering what page, and where on that page, a particular piece of information is (if you give me the page number that a certain sentence is on, I can generally recall the physical location of that sentence on the page).


yea i just study to the point where i know everything and can spit it off of my tongue without question. This worked on open book exams, too, though, but I did a little worse on the open books.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 31, 2012 11:01 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
fatduck wrote:
yabuddy wrote:Still waiting on 1 grade . . .

Did the math and if I get an A, my cumulative GPA will stay the same. Anything less and my GPA goes down, how shitty is that.

that's true for anyone with a gpa over 3.7, right? or am i terrible at math?

just got con law. 2 more to go. i love that contracts (a 2400 word-limit exam) will be last. lulz.


nope. His GPA wouldn't stay the same. He'd have to be in the 3.9s or so for it to stay the same.


I don't even have that kind of GPA in my bestest grade dreams.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 31, 2012 11:38 pm

No grades till next week...fun...delayed...

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:49 pm

One more grade to go. Well two, if you count LRW. I just have Contracts left. Just got back Property. Very happy right now. Was worried about that one because I thought it was easy, but so did a lot of other people.

Edit: In response to the discussion going around here about word count exams and closed book exams, word count exams suck. At least they did for me. But I've never had to take a closed book exam so I wouldn't know. I tend to have really good memory so maybe it wouldn't be too bad, but I think it would depend on the class and the professor.
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby splitmuch » Thu May 31, 2012 11:52 pm

yabuddy wrote:Still waiting on 1 grade . . .

Did the math and if I get an A, my cumulative GPA will stay the same. Anything less and my GPA goes down, how shitty is that.



Yeah, REAL SHITTY BUDDY. I feel so sorry for you......

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:One more grade to go. Well two, if you count LRW. I just have Contracts left. Just got back Property. Very happy right now. Was worried about that one because I thought it was easy, but so did a lot of other people.

Edit: In response to the discussion going around here about word count exams and closed book exams, word count exams suck. At least they did for me. But I've never had to take a closed book exam so I wouldn't know. I tend to have really good memory so maybe it wouldn't be too bad, but I think it would depend on the class and the professor.


We had two questions of 400 words each on one of my exams. I loved it. I had enough time to go back over and edit it several times and made sure my essay was well put together. ended up with 399 and 400.

I do think it depends on the person. I like it because I need to edit what I write. Someone who writes better naturally than me wouldn't have that advantage if I get a chance to edit.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:28 am

r6_philly wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:One more grade to go. Well two, if you count LRW. I just have Contracts left. Just got back Property. Very happy right now. Was worried about that one because I thought it was easy, but so did a lot of other people.

Edit: In response to the discussion going around here about word count exams and closed book exams, word count exams suck. At least they did for me. But I've never had to take a closed book exam so I wouldn't know. I tend to have really good memory so maybe it wouldn't be too bad, but I think it would depend on the class and the professor.


We had two questions of 400 words each on one of my exams. I loved it. I had enough time to go back over and edit it several times and made sure my essay was well put together. ended up with 399 and 400.

I do think it depends on the person. I like it because I need to edit what I write. Someone who writes better naturally than me wouldn't have that advantage if I get a chance to edit.


What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

Also we have other grades back but no LRW still and it is a bit frustrating because the last assignment was due almost two months ago. <_<

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

Also we have other grades back but no LRW still and it is a bit frustrating because the last assignment was due almost two months ago. <_<


I actually think it should be 24 hour take home open book, or at least 8 hours. It's more like what we do in practice. It advantage people who can learn issues thoroughly and put together a good answer.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

man, i type close to 200 wpm and i love word-limited exams - i like that i have an incentive to turn in my best arguments, not the most arguments. i also feel like it makes outlining less important, and i hate outlining.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:44 am

fatduck wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

man, i type close to 200 wpm and i love word-limited exams - i like that i have an incentive to turn in my best arguments, not the most arguments. i also feel like it makes outlining less important, and i hate outlining.

Wow. You type fast. I always have too many typos to get much above 100 wpm. I like outlining, but my brain likes everything organized and it was how I studied in undergrad. Well I would make study sheets and memorize them (not necessarily a true outline, but close enough).
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:46 am

fatduck wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

man, i type close to 200 wpm and i love word-limited exams - i like that i have an incentive to turn in my best arguments, not the most arguments. i also feel like it makes outlining less important, and i hate outlining.


Image

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 am

r6_philly wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
What is admittedly good about word counts is that they are more fair because they don't favor people who can just type really fast. One of the reasons I don't like it is because I can type fast and it is a huge advantage. But I would still like a reasonable word count for a three hour exams. Between say 2500-3000.

Also we have other grades back but no LRW still and it is a bit frustrating because the last assignment was due almost two months ago. <_<


I actually think it should be 24 hour take home open book, or at least 8 hours. It's more like what we do in practice. It advantage people who can learn issues thoroughly and put together a good answer.

You act like when you're practicing you never have meetings with clients where they ask you a question and expect a reasonably high quality response on the spot. Between meetings like that and phone conversations with clients, it isn't that strange to want to test being able to come up with stuff on the spot.

Also, this is based on a huge assumption that tests are/should be similar to practicing law.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:08 am

200 wpm?!

i don't even type at 100 wpm. fuck.

i knew i should have mastered "type to learn" when i was in elementary school...maybe my grades would be better.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:10 am

Lasers wrote:200 wpm?!

i don't even type at 100 wpm. fuck.

i knew i should have mastered "type to learn" when i was in elementary school...maybe my grades would be better.


200 is practically unreal. The world record is 216.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 am

fatduck wrote:200 wpm

QFfatduck

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:15 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Lasers wrote:200 wpm?!

i don't even type at 100 wpm. fuck.

i knew i should have mastered "type to learn" when i was in elementary school...maybe my grades would be better.


200 is practically unreal. The world record is 216.

i just did a typing test and i only type at 79. damn i suck.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 am

Lasers wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Lasers wrote:200 wpm?!

i don't even type at 100 wpm. fuck.

i knew i should have mastered "type to learn" when i was in elementary school...maybe my grades would be better.


200 is practically unreal. The world record is 216.

i just did a typing test and i only type at 79. damn i suck.

Just got 91 wpm on type racer. I think highest ever was still only like 108 wpm. 200 is crazy. The people who get 152 wpm on that site are insane.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests