1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby luckyjd » Sat May 26, 2012 1:56 am

Grades are in, alright overall, no better no worse. Biggest complaint is all the annoying facebook posts about how happy people are about their grades or, my favorite, the ones that are fishing for the "how did you do?" question just so they can express how happy they are yet again. :roll:

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby shoeshine » Sat May 26, 2012 1:58 am

luckyjd wrote:Grades are in, alright overall, no better no worse. Biggest complaint is all the annoying facebook posts about how happy people are about their grades or, my favorite, the ones that are fishing for the "how did you do?" question just so they can express how happy they are yet again. :roll:

Lol, no one does this at my school.

What kind of a fucked up school do you go to?

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby luckyjd » Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 am

haha okay i exaggerated a bit, it's mostly a lot of posts from the same small number of individuals. you would think soon-to-be professionals will have more sense, but some people just don't yet. a blocking from the newsfeed does the trick.

DontGetIt
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby DontGetIt » Sat May 26, 2012 3:14 am

It's crazy that I've gotten this far in law school and gotten good and average grades and I still can't say I honestly have an idea about what professors want. It's just such an arbitrary process. It's unnerving waiting because unlike in undergrad, I have no idea how they'll grade my exam. There's been no correlation to how I feel walking out and my actual grades. I think my 2L year will just be me not even worrying about it at all because time put in does not equal grades.

Zarara
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:07 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Zarara » Sat May 26, 2012 8:00 am

I'm definitely jealous of those who have received their grades! It's such a relief to know. My state school has a completely arcane grading system. Expected grade release? July... ish. That's two months after exams. I, of course, still compulsively refresh the grade page... just in case.

As a side question, does anyone know how professors curve grades when they grade and release all the seniors exams first (within 3 days of exams ending)? I'm just not sure how you have firm grades for 10% of the class without reading the other 90% of students' papers.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby r6_philly » Sat May 26, 2012 1:48 pm

luckyjd wrote:haha okay i exaggerated a bit, it's mostly a lot of posts from the same small number of individuals. you would think soon-to-be professionals will have more sense, but some people just don't yet. a blocking from the newsfeed does the trick.


You know, you friended these people.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby fatduck » Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Zarara wrote:As a side question, does anyone know how professors curve grades when they grade and release all the seniors exams first (within 3 days of exams ending)? I'm just not sure how you have firm grades for 10% of the class without reading the other 90% of students' papers.

i am lost

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Zarara wrote:As a side question, does anyone know how professors curve grades when they grade and release all the seniors exams first (within 3 days of exams ending)? I'm just not sure how you have firm grades for 10% of the class without reading the other 90% of students' papers.


You're curved against your section, not seniors. And most professors give everyone a certain number of points then adjust everyone's grades according to the curve.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby 071816 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:05 pm

luckyjd wrote:Grades are in, alright overall, no better no worse. Biggest complaint is all the annoying facebook posts about how happy people are about their grades or, my favorite, the ones that are fishing for the "how did you do?" question just so they can express how happy they are yet again. :roll:

That's pretty TTT.

marmot8
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:19 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby marmot8 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:08 pm

fatduck wrote:
Zarara wrote:As a side question, does anyone know how professors curve grades when they grade and release all the seniors exams first (within 3 days of exams ending)? I'm just not sure how you have firm grades for 10% of the class without reading the other 90% of students' papers.

i am lost


I'm assuming the poster was referring to elective classes that include 1L, 2L and 3Ls. I was in one where the professor graded the 3L papers first, I'm guessing, and I thought the same thing that Zarara did. I would guess the 3Ls get curved on their own, then we curved based on everyone regardless of class year?

Ultimately, I'm sure it's just school specific and I haven't been bothered to look it up.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Cade McNown » Sat May 26, 2012 5:36 pm

I would just like to commend my Torts prof for turning around a written exam in a section of 94 students in only two weeks. Thought it would be late June before I saw that grade. Apparently not all law profs are lazy schmucks after all.

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Cade McNown wrote:I would just like to commend my Torts prof for turning around a written exam in a section of 94 students in only two weeks. Thought it would be late June before I saw that grade. Apparently not all law profs are lazy schmucks after all.


+1 for my Civ Pro prof. 80 exams graded and submitted in a little over a week. He was given 4 weeks to do it.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby jd20132013 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:52 pm

on the other hand, he probably achieved that admirable speed through the "toss the exams down the stairs" method

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Cade McNown » Sat May 26, 2012 5:58 pm

jd20132013 wrote:on the other hand, he probably achieved that admirable speed through the "toss the exams down the stairs" method

My guess is he's got a vacation lined up

Seminole_305
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Seminole_305 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Weird semester. I improved but not enough to grade onto law review. Sucks cause I might have B.S.'d my competition.

User avatar
AZN MegaPoaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Sat May 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Two As and one A-.

Fuckin stoked

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby luckyjd » Sat May 26, 2012 6:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
luckyjd wrote:haha okay i exaggerated a bit, it's mostly a lot of posts from the same small number of individuals. you would think soon-to-be professionals will have more sense, but some people just don't yet. a blocking from the newsfeed does the trick.


You know, you friended these people.


haha, actually, they all friended me... way before school even started. i didn't want to be rude and reject. some of these people i still haven't met "in real life" yet.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sat May 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Anyone else checking grades on this Memorial Day weekend, even though you know nothing additional will be posted until Tuesday...? :?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby gdane » Sat May 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Anyone else checking grades on this Memorial Day weekend, even though you know nothing additional will be posted until Tuesday...? :?

I check grades even on Sunday. Just in case.

jurisx
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby jurisx » Sat May 26, 2012 8:42 pm

gdane wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Anyone else checking grades on this Memorial Day weekend, even though you know nothing additional will be posted until Tuesday...? :?

I check grades even on Sunday. Just in case.

:shock:

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 26, 2012 8:45 pm

jurisx wrote:
gdane wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Anyone else checking grades on this Memorial Day weekend, even though you know nothing additional will be posted until Tuesday...? :?

I check grades even on Sunday. Just in case.

:shock:


Not that crazy, I've gotten grades in the middle of the night on a Saturday before.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby gdane » Sat May 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Eh. Whatever.

I purposely look away from the screen though when I log into the "semester grade report" section. I use my peripheral vision to see whether or not any grade(s) came in. So far, nothing.

I'm sure I did well, but I'm nervous about my Crim Pro exam. It was the one exam (both semesters) where I did not finish. There were just so many issues. Plus, I missed an exclusionary rule analysis that the professor went on and on and on about all semester long. I'm hoping lots of people did too, but I doubt it because she specifically told us to begin our analysis with it. I can hope for an A-. But, we'll see.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby northwood » Sat May 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Now that I've been out of law school for two weeks and working. I don't want to go back..... It was super awesome gettin a real paycheck

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby northwood » Sat May 26, 2012 9:30 pm

From my part time herb that is.... Not the unpaid internship

thelibear
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:57 am

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby thelibear » Sun May 27, 2012 2:44 am

We don't get grades for a few more weeks...so frustrating. I know I got an A in law skills, though. My prediction is civ pro > property > con law > crim law.

Hoping I don't lose my class ranking after this semester's grades come out!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baller31, Catbeast and 14 guests