1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jurisx

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 1:08 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:My school is ridiculous. Took my first final four weeks ago. Not one grade is back yet. How damned lazy are these professors! Only two of them taught us anything in class. I would think the least they could do is gives our grades back in a timely manner. I now feel better after venting.

Welcome to law school son. Welcome to the rest of your life.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 pm

jurisx wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Just got an A in con law. Thinking the curve really worked in my favor this time because I BSed a good 75% of it. I know absolutely 0 con law. Here's to hoping the same thing happened with property because property was an insanely hard final too. Not as confident about torts because it was super easy.

The whole transferring thing has me feeling pretty numb about grades in general, though.

why transfer if getting A's. The curve might be harder at the other school and the GPA won't transfer.

I go to a TTT.... :|

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 25, 2012 1:59 pm

God LRW grading is such a joke. I never got below a B+ on any assignment and I get a B. I've given up on trying to understand the LRW curve.

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Fri May 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Jessuf wrote:
jurisx wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Just got an A in con law. Thinking the curve really worked in my favor this time because I BSed a good 75% of it. I know absolutely 0 con law. Here's to hoping the same thing happened with property because property was an insanely hard final too. Not as confident about torts because it was super easy.

The whole transferring thing has me feeling pretty numb about grades in general, though.

why transfer if getting A's. The curve might be harder at the other school and the GPA won't transfer.

Right there with you Jessuf... makes the wait for grades even harder...

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Fri May 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Even getting one grade back is an incredible weight off. Hooray for efficient professors.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri May 25, 2012 4:18 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:My school is ridiculous. Took my first final four weeks ago. Not one grade is back yet. How damned lazy are these professors! Only two of them taught us anything in class. I would think the least they could do is gives our grades back in a timely manner. I now feel better after venting.

At least this semester they're releasing our grades as the professors post them. As opposed to last semester when they took a month and a half and then decided to postpone giving us our grades from Friday to the following Monday.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri May 25, 2012 4:57 pm

A guy from my section is bragging about being a gunner and is telling everyone he got a .25 bump up on his final grade in con law. The registrar doesn't reveal that information and we aren't allowed to contact professors until all grades are released in June, so I called his bluff.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 25, 2012 5:10 pm

torts grade came out...ugh.

test was too easy; curve was probably horrendous.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri May 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Lasers wrote:torts grade came out...ugh.

Sorry, that sucks :( I still only have conlaw. Literally can't stop thinking about the others.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 25, 2012 5:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:torts grade came out...ugh.

Sorry, that sucks :( I still only have conlaw. Literally can't stop thinking about the others.

i was hoping torts would have been better considering my contracts grade is going to really destroy me.

i don't like how these grades trickle out randomly.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Fri May 25, 2012 6:11 pm

jurisx wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
TTTLS wrote:The longer I wait for the grades, the more the military seems appealing.

I remember after the LSAT and during the law school application cycle I told my mother and several close friends that if I didn't get in, I'd be hitting the police force/potential military.

why the one extreme to the other? If it is so appealing to you why not go NG or reserves?

NG is not nearly as cool as the Marines.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri May 25, 2012 6:58 pm

dreakol wrote:I typed 16,000 words so i better have gotten an A.

hope this works for me. i typed ~8500 on crim in 3 hours.

but i also type faster than pretty much everyone in the world. most of it was just I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING dog-style rambling.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 25, 2012 7:01 pm

fatduck wrote:

but i also type faster than pretty much everyone in the world. most of it was just I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING dog-style rambling.

depends on the test type. if race horse issue spotter, you probably killed it.

if not, maybe not.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Jessuf wrote:
jurisx wrote:

If all A's at a TTT (and presumably top 10%) would you prefer to be at top 10% or middle of the pack at a TT?

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 7:31 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:God LRW grading is such a joke. I never got below a B+ on any assignment and I get a B. I've given up on trying to understand the LRW curve.

There often isn't a curve in paper courses.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Jessuf wrote:A guy from my section is bragging about being a gunner and is telling everyone he got a .25 bump up on his final grade in con law. The registrar doesn't reveal that information and we aren't allowed to contact professors until all grades are released in June, so I called his bluff.

You can't view your transcripts? Even if not, if he knows his grade it is simple math to know the GPA. Mental math easy.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 7:35 pm

TTTLS wrote:
jurisx wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
TTTLS wrote:The longer I wait for the grades, the more the military seems appealing.

I remember after the LSAT and during the law school application cycle I told my mother and several close friends that if I didn't get in, I'd be hitting the police force/potential military.

why the one extreme to the other? If it is so appealing to you why not go NG or reserves?

NG is not nearly as cool as the Marines.

ok the marine reserves then, or CG, or AF or whatever.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri May 25, 2012 7:36 pm

fatduck wrote:

As long as your made the parts that you know are worth credit obvious to the reader, then you should get full points. Outline dumping is worth points, even if they lie to you and say it isn't. But if they see wrong answers rambling they find excuses to take points away.

Caveat: Rambling ok, but don't look like Forest Gump writing a PhD dissertation on string theory.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Finally a grade out! Crim, did really well but there's the inner-gunner who is angry it wasn't better.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 pm

jurisx wrote:
Jessuf wrote:A guy from my section is bragging about being a gunner and is telling everyone he got a .25 bump up on his final grade in con law. The registrar doesn't reveal that information and we aren't allowed to contact professors until all grades are released in June, so I called his bluff.

You can't view your transcripts? Even if not, if he knows his grade it is simple math to know the GPA. Mental math easy.

There is no way of knowing if the grade includes a grade bump unless you ask the professor directly.

And I would rather be median at T14 than top 10% at this TTT after seeing what LOLCI will be like for everyone here in the fall.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:09 pm

gdane wrote:

At least this semester they're releasing our grades as the professors post them. As opposed to last semester when they took a month and a half and then decided to postpone giving us our grades from Friday to the following Monday.

It's still BS that not one grade is back. We took our first exam four weeks ago. It's holding up my apps. I'd like to know what school I'm going to next semester ASAP. Considering I have to pick up and move to some city with no family and find housing in short order, it would be nice.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:23 pm

dabomb75 wrote:I was right for all but 1 of my exams last semester so might as well try again this semester (for the 3 classes I don't know my grades for):

Con Law > Crim Law > Environmental Law

So far so good on the Crim Law > Environmental Law thing. Still waiting on Con Law, and I already knew what I had gotten in my 4th class because it was a paper class that I had gotten all of my grades in already.

Pretty stoked about my grades this semester. Only need a B in con law to end up with the same GPA as last semester, anything above that and I raise my GPA

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:It's still BS that not one grade is back. We took our first exam four weeks ago. It's holding up my apps. I'd like to know what school I'm going to next semester ASAP. Considering I have to pick up and move to some city with no family and find housing in short order, it would be nice.

I understand most of the classes, but I dont know why our LComm grade didnt come in already. Although, my partner screwed up my appellate brief. So, I might not want to see my grade. Ha.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:28 pm

gdane wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:It's still BS that not one grade is back. We took our first exam four weeks ago. It's holding up my apps. I'd like to know what school I'm going to next semester ASAP. Considering I have to pick up and move to some city with no family and find housing in short order, it would be nice.

I understand most of the classes, but I dont know why our LComm grade didnt come in already. Although, my partner screwed up my appellate brief. So, I might not want to see my grade. Ha.

Lol I did mine solo. I didn't want to fix someone else's mistakes.

turkishswat

Postby turkishswat » Fri May 25, 2012 11:29 pm

jurisx wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
jurisx wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Yes. I was totally blaming the professor for my A-. That son of a bitch, allowing me to keep my class rank.

Sure sounded like it.

Then you misheard/misunderstood what I was saying.

A. Happy about my A-, especially since I expected a B (median is B)

B. Enjoyed my prof, but his slant on things was not what I expected from a 1L Con Law class.

No blame, no credit, either way.

:roll:

Hey, you're a dick.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”