1L Spring Grades Waiting Room Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
alicrimson

Silver

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Post by alicrimson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Spring 1L (Elon Law): 3.92, 3/125

Torts II: A
Contracts II: A-
Property II: A
Civil Procedure: Not released yet
Criminal Law: A
Legal Writing: A

Fall 1L (Elon Law): 3.54, 14/128

Torts I: A+
Contracts I: A-
Property I: A
Legal Writing: C
Civil Procedure: A

--

Oh god I'm going to get out of T4 hell. I'm crying I'm so happy. Thanks TLS for all your strategies and stuff. Much <3 bro/broette.
Looks like a great semester to me. Way to go! :)

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:I did a lot less work this semester and started dating someone early on, which ate up a lot of time. Literally skipped 1/2 of Torts classes and never read cases. This isn't a #humblebrag - just a comment on either how interesting the competition is at a T4 or how random grading can be in lawl school. That said, I did the 1 month grind and had a corrupted version of LEEWS that I used to practice exams with. I just did a lot less this semester because, like Arrow said, once you get it I guess you get it.

The whole game (I think) is whether enough other people "get it" too.
I adore LEEWS. I did it first semester and credit it for any exam success. When I told friends who asked what I did to study, they looked at me incredulously. To anyone who hasn't done it, I highly recommend it. I'm proof that with LEEWS you don't have to be that intelligent (I was right above the bottom quartile for my school's LSAT score) to do well in class.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:35 pm

My grades are back :|

I had an almost perfectly mediocre semester. Based on historic averages I'll wind up in the "Top 25%" or "Top 30%" brackets.

There goes transferring and OCI...

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

ilovesf wrote:
fatduck wrote:holy fuckballs, A+ in crim.
Congrats dude, that's awesome! My last grade is in and it's my worst in LS :( it sucks- that class was so easy material wise, but he just hated everything I wrote. My a+ really saved me, it kept me barely in the top 10% I guess, but my grades look inconsistent as shit. I have no idea how they will look to an employer- especially since my gpa dropped. Ugh.
Top 10% is still a great achievement. Top 10% + Law Review will pull you through come OCI time.

AZN MegaPoaster

New

Post by AZN MegaPoaster » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 pm

alicrimson wrote:
LazinessPerSe wrote:I did a lot less work this semester and started dating someone early on, which ate up a lot of time. Literally skipped 1/2 of Torts classes and never read cases. This isn't a #humblebrag - just a comment on either how interesting the competition is at a T4 or how random grading can be in lawl school. That said, I did the 1 month grind and had a corrupted version of LEEWS that I used to practice exams with. I just did a lot less this semester because, like Arrow said, once you get it I guess you get it.

The whole game (I think) is whether enough other people "get it" too.
I adore LEEWS. I did it first semester and credit it for any exam success. When I told friends who asked what I did to study, they looked at me incredulously. To anyone who hasn't done it, I highly recommend it. I'm proof that with LEEWS you don't have to be that intelligent (I was right above the bottom quartile for my school's LSAT score) to do well in class.
My approach:

1. Memorize the mess out of the relevant law
2. Take shit tons of practice exams
3. Win

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:26 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote: My approach:

1. Memorize the mess out of the relevant law
3. Win
Mine's about the same. Mostly study the law by making the outline. Then learn the law by taking a shit ton of practice exams. Profit.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:26 pm

AZN MegaPoaster wrote: 1. Memorize the mess out of the relevant law
3. Win
This worked great for my essay exams. My essays were As and a B+...multiple choice were my two Bs.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Agree completely. Our Civ Pro prof, while a hilarious guy, had this knack for just renaming and slightly tweaking Glannon Guide questions. It was always fun to look at your multiple choice and feel comfort in familiarity.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 am

Fuck fuck fuck. Got a B- in legreg, B+ in Contracts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:49 am

kapital98 wrote:My grades are back :|

I had an almost perfectly mediocre semester. Based on historic averages I'll wind up in the "Top 25%" or "Top 30%" brackets.

yep...not even sending out some apps anymore. not worth throwing away a couple hundred bucks to get rejected.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Lasers wrote:

yep...not even sending out some apps anymore. not worth throwing away a couple hundred bucks to get rejected.
I'm poor so all of my application fees are waived. I'll probably send out a hand full of applications to transfer friendly schools. But with these grades I'm not expecting any acceptances.

Edit: I had my personal statement and resume ready to go. So it's not like I'm putting much additional effort into the process.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Went from a pathetic 2.52 first semester to a 3.45 this semester. Now basically back to median (which is 3.0 at my school), which is pretty remarkable considering that first semester. Very glad I ignored advice to drop out.

My approach:
- No notes during class this semester. Just sit and listen and absorb.
- No making my own outline. Just memorized old ones
- LEARN how to take exams, not just take practice exams where I do the same wrong stuff every time. For me, this was cutting out the paragraphs of background info I gave on exams in 1st semester and modifying IRAC to CRAC, which 2 of my professors told me was much better.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:09 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
My approach:
- LEARN how to take exams, not just take practice exams where I do the same wrong stuff every time. For me, this was cutting out the paragraphs of background info I gave on exams in 1st semester and modifying IRAC to CRAC, which 2 of my professors told me was much better.
Wow. Just goes to show everyone learns differently. If I did those first 2 things I guarantee I'd know basically nothing come test day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

I'm poor so all of my application fees are waived. I'll probably send out a hand full of applications to transfer friendly schools. But with these grades I'm not expecting any acceptances.

Edit: I had my personal statement and resume ready to go. So it's not like I'm putting much additional effort into the process.
Never know if you don't try. :) Waiting on tax to make or break me.

umstah

New

Post by umstah » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:20 pm

-
Last edited by umstah on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:26 pm

PinkCow wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
My approach:
Wow. Just goes to show everyone learns differently. If I did those first 2 things I guarantee I'd know basically nothing come test day.
It's funny how that goes, right? For me, I couldn't have done any worse 1st semester and I was doing traditional things like making my own outlines, taking copious notes, and I even briefed all the way through Thanksgiving. But I didn't GET what was going on, as in how I was going to be graded. So I decided to make wholesale changes and stay focused on "how am I going to organize this chapter on an exam?"

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:36 pm

umstah wrote:

I'm expecting to be in the ~25% as well. do you think thats a complete fail for Hastings OCI? <sigh>

im still waiting on two grades, which is eating me alive. so far A, B+.

=|
I don't think 25% is a complete fail, but I heard there were cutoffs last year around 10-15% for most of the large firms. If your background is engineering/hard science and you're into intellectual property, you'll probably still be okay.

Weird, I'm you're numbers clone, except my uGPA is horrible.
Last edited by DildaMan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jess

Post by jess » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Jessuf wrote:just found out today the deputy gets a printout every morning of every single website every single courthouse employee visited the previous day. i hope he enjoys the million times i checked my school's grades site the past 2 weeks.
Lol'd

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 pm

DildaMan wrote:Waiting on tax to make or break me.
^this. On the plus side ran the numbers last night and I'll have a 3.5 even if I failed. But I'd rather not fail.

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Jessuf wrote:just found out today the deputy gets a printout every morning of every single website every single courthouse employee visited the previous day. i hope he enjoys the million times i checked my school's grades site the past 2 weeks.
This is worse than status checkers. At least those gave you updates. "file under review"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Lool the extern next to me has been google stalking her ex all day. I imagine though that this building is way too big to have that kind of procedure. I'm on my phone just in case.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 pm

lisavj wrote:
^this. On the plus side ran the numbers last night and I'll have a 3.5 even if I failed. But I'd rather not fail.
haha, if by fail you mean a D or F, i can tell you with confidence you did not fail. :)

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Lasers wrote:
lisavj wrote:
haha, if by fail you mean a D or F, i can tell you with confidence you did not fail. :)
Don't say that, people definitely DO get D's and F's. At least at my school............Some have misconceived notions that "nobody" gets below a C+. Not true

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:01 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Lasers wrote:
lisavj wrote:
Don't say that, people definitely DO get D's and F's. At least at my school............Some have misconceived notions that "nobody" gets below a C+. Not true
i don't mean to imply that at all.

i just mean to imply she wouldn't fall into that category.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”