1L Spring Grades Waiting Room Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: 1L Spring Grades Waiting Room

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 pm

ilovesf wrote: I also find OCI totally overwhelming and kinda scary :(
I'm holding off on doing too much OCI research until I get the rest of my grades, because I really want to go for DC but I need to know grades (and preferably journals) before investing too much time in researching DC firms, since my grades could take a dive and then I'd probably just bid NY/Chicago. I'm also intimidated by the prospect of OCI, though, and I'm not looking forward to starting the process. For example, I have no idea how to order a bidlist and I'll probably screw it up and only get like 6 interviews. :(

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:15 pm

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
ph14 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Man, the legal employment part of the sit is really intimidating. I have no idea where to start on it. OCI is right around the corner and I'm paralyzed with fear :?
What are you intimidated about? I'd start by figuring out your bid list and market(s), and then start thinking about whether you want to do transactional, litigation, tax, trust, estate planning, etc. Work on updating resume, set up a mock interview or a few, and other preparations for OCI. You don't need to have everything figured out just yet.
Sounds right. How big is a bid list supposed to be? Is there a limit?
Each school has their own limit. We are allowed 35 bids and we are encouraged to use them all. I also find OCI totally overwhelming and kinda scary :(
Glad I'm not the only one. Besides, you have great grades, what are you worried about? I was horrified I would barely qualify for any interviews because everything is top 20%, but TLS says to just submit to the places I want to work anyways.

In case nobody here knows, I go to UF and finished top third.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Got a B+ in Property, but as it was my lowest substantive grade I was upset. Especially since I knew it front and back. So, I asked my professor what happened, I felt so good about it; it was a closed book, hand-written, 3 essay and 11 MC question, in-class exam. He got back to me and told me that I had written A+ answers for all 3 essays... but I missed 4 MC questions (which was still well above the curve) so that was enough to drag me from an A+ to a B+.

Has this kind of nonsense happened to anyone else? If I had legitimately not understood the principles well or if I did consistently B+ work, I'd be fine with it, but 4 MC questions was enough to derail it that bad? Gah!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:47 pm

crossarmant wrote:Got a B+ in Property, but as it was my lowest substantive grade I was upset. Especially since I knew it front and back. So, I asked my professor what happened, I felt so good about it; it was a closed book, hand-written, 3 essay and 11 MC question, in-class exam. He got back to me and told me that I had written A+ answers for all 3 essays... but I missed 4 MC questions (which was still well above the curve) so that was enough to drag me from an A+ to a B+.

Has this kind of nonsense happened to anyone else? If I had legitimately not understood the principles well or if I did consistently B+ work, I'd be fine with it, but 4 MC questions was enough to derail it that bad? Gah!
I had my first, and so far only, MC test this quarter and I'm waiting to see how it turned out. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the MC portion of an exam does most of the curve-setting. It's easy to grade and creates a good spread of different scores to map onto a curve.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Got a B+ in Property, but as it was my lowest substantive grade I was upset. Especially since I knew it front and back. So, I asked my professor what happened, I felt so good about it; it was a closed book, hand-written, 3 essay and 11 MC question, in-class exam. He got back to me and told me that I had written A+ answers for all 3 essays... but I missed 4 MC questions (which was still well above the curve) so that was enough to drag me from an A+ to a B+.

I had my first, and so far only, MC test this quarter and I'm waiting to see how it turned out. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the MC portion of an exam does most of the curve-setting. It's easy to grade and creates a good spread of different scores to map onto a curve.
I took two classes from the same professor and he had the same format for both--primarily MC. People are adamant he doesn't even read the essays.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm

PennBull wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I took two classes from the same professor and he had the same format for both--primarily MC. People are adamant he doesn't even read the essays.
Yeah, our exam was 2 hours of closed-everything MC and then 6 hours of open-everything (including internet) essays. I imagine the MC does most of the work in setting that curve because 1. the MC was extremely technical and fiendishly difficult, so it likely creates a good spread, and 2. the total word limit for the essays was 1400 words in 6 hours, and I could type 1400 decent words by tying my hands behind my back and typing with my nose. We'll see how this exam turned out sometime in the next month (and hopefully sooner).

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Yeah, our exam was 2 hours of closed-everything MC and then 6 hours of open-everything (including internet) essays. I imagine the MC does most of the work in setting that curve because 1. the MC was extremely technical and fiendishly difficult, so it likely creates a good spread, and 2. the total word limit for the essays was 1400 words in 6 hours, and I could type 1400 decent words by tying my hands behind my back and typing with my nose. We'll see how this exam turned out sometime in the next month (and hopefully sooner).
My Conlaw was a 24-hour take home open-everything, 3000 word limit, pretty much black letter law short answer questions. I have no idea how the fuck he created a curve.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:10 pm

PennBull wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Yeah, our exam was 2 hours of closed-everything MC and then 6 hours of open-everything (including internet) essays. I imagine the MC does most of the work in setting that curve because 1. the MC was extremely technical and fiendishly difficult, so it likely creates a good spread, and 2. the total word limit for the essays was 1400 words in 6 hours, and I could type 1400 decent words by tying my hands behind my back and typing with my nose. We'll see how this exam turned out sometime in the next month (and hopefully sooner).
My Conlaw was a 24-hour take home open-everything, 3000 word limit, pretty much black letter law short answer questions. I have no idea how the fuck he created a curve.
I fear that type of exam a million times more than a MC exam. Though I will now always be angry over MC exams, apparently 4 hours of essay writing are equal in knowledge and effort as a 20 mins of MC question.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 pm

PennBull wrote:
I hate take-home exams. a 24 hour take-home would be unbearable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
PennBull wrote:
That it was. I spent about 21 hours on it.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:35 pm

PennBull wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
PennBull wrote:
That it was. I spent about 21 hours on it.
My problem would be that I'd likely spend about 6 hours on it and then turn it in because I'm lazy, and would then get a bad grade.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Still no Legislation... over a week after the deadline. I'm still having trouble believing my geriatric, dementia-riddled Con Lawl prof finished grading our exams first. Maybe he had someone else do the grading for him.

PennBull, you still waiting on Advanced K's?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Still no Legislation... over a week after the deadline. I'm still having trouble believing my geriatric, dementia-riddled Con Lawl prof finished grading our exams first. Maybe he had someone else do the grading for him.

Nah, I got it yesterday. Ruger wins the last place award this semester. TBF he has 100+ exams for you though and sent a nice email, whereas Kraus has like 50 exams and 66% of his test is a fucking scantron.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

acg

New

Post by acg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Contracts: A-, Property: A, Crim: A, Con Law: A, LRW: A-
Cum GPA: 3.7

Soo mind numbingly excited .. Now how to explain my B in Torts from the fall :)

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:51 pm

acg wrote:Contracts: A-, Property: A, Crim: A, Con Law: A, LRW: A-
Cum GPA: 3.7

Soo mind numbingly excited .. Now how to explain my B in Torts from the fall :)
Totally jelly. Nice job :)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:52 pm

PennBull wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Still no Legislation... over a week after the deadline. I'm still having trouble believing my geriatric, dementia-riddled Con Lawl prof finished grading our exams first. Maybe he had someone else do the grading for him.

Nah, I got it yesterday. Ruger wins the last place award this semester. TBF he has 100+ exams for you though and sent a nice email, whereas Kraus has like 50 exams and 66% of his test is a fucking scantron.
3 weeks, 2 days until grades are due. Quarter system sad. :(

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
PennBull wrote:

So about 5 weeks until you actually get grades

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Such a RIGOROUS waiting period.

sheD

New

Post by sheD » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Last grade I received also my lowest for the entire year. Ugh...damn property.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 pm

All grades are now in, finally. I really don't understand the way LRW grading works. Did better on assignments this semester and yet I still got the same grade as last semester.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:37 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:All grades are now in, finally. I really don't understand the way LRW grading works. Did better on assignments this semester and yet I still got the same grade as last semester.
How LRW grading works.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
ilovesf wrote: Each school has their own limit. We are allowed 35 bids and we are encouraged to use them all. I also find OCI totally overwhelming and kinda scary :(
Glad I'm not the only one. Besides, you have great grades, what are you worried about? I was horrified I would barely qualify for any interviews because everything is top 20%, but TLS says to just submit to the places I want to work anyways.

I'm not that worried about getting interviews because I'm around 10%, but I'm really worried about getting cbs/offers. I don't know anything about the FL market (I'm guessing you're bidding there?) but the state of the bay area as described on TLS scares the shit out of me. I'm just nervous the interviewer will be thinking "we're just going to hire Boalt/Stanford, why am I even here?" the whole time we're talking.

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm waiting for my last grade. At this point, should I just wait 8 more days, reach the 45-day mark and then ask the dean for the option of Pass/Fail per our student handbook? I know I at least passed the class, but I need to send in spring grades for transfer apps soon. The class is Advanced Torts and anything under an A in the class will hurt my cumulative GPA. Last year the prof didn't submit their spring grades until July.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
ilovesf wrote: Each school has their own limit. We are allowed 35 bids and we are encouraged to use them all. I also find OCI totally overwhelming and kinda scary :(

I'm not that worried about getting interviews because I'm around 10%, but I'm really worried about getting cbs/offers. I don't know anything about the FL market (I'm guessing you're bidding there?) but the state of the bay area as described on TLS scares the shit out of me. I'm just nervous the interviewer will be thinking "we're just going to hire Boalt/Stanford, why am I even here?" the whole time we're talking.
I'm fortunate enough to technically meet the cut-off for many firms. Of course that doesn't matter because the technical cutoff doesn't correlate with the de facto cutoff.

I might be able to score a handful of interviews if I'm really lucky (especially because of the bogus lottery system.) However, that doesn't mean much.

It's just a huge mindfuck to make people believe they have a chance.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

I'm fortunate enough to technically meet the cut-off for many firms. Of course that doesn't matter because the technical cutoff doesn't correlate with the de facto cutoff.

I might be able to score a handful of interviews if I'm really lucky (especially because of the bogus lottery system.) However, that doesn't mean much.

It's just a huge mindfuck to make people believe they have a chance.
:( I have no conception of my chance at any firm. I'm going to make an appointment with the career office for next week if I can leave work early. How you started arranging your bids, etc?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”