What can I do to prep for the LR writing competition? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYC2014

Bronze

What can I do to prep for the LR writing competition?

Post by NYC2014 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Title.

fathergoose

Silver

Re: What can I do to prep for the LR writing competition?

Post by fathergoose » Wed May 09, 2012 11:42 pm

1. http://www.amazon.com/Academic-Legal-Wr ... 158778792X
2. Learn the editing marks that you'll need to know
3. Familiarize yourself intimately with the Bluebook (take it on a date, ask it questions, find out who it is on the inside)
4. Rest up
5. Ball so hard
6. ?
7. Law Review

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 pm

fathergoose wrote:1. http://www.amazon.com/Academic-Legal-Wr ... 158778792X
3. Familiarize yourself intimately with the Bluebook (take it on a date, ask it questions, find out who it is on the inside)
4. Rest up
5. Ball so hard
6. ?
7. Law Review
As someone who is just finishing up, this is a pretty credited response.

Add that you may want to familiarize yourself with examples of the various types of student works that come in a law review (note, comment, case comment, etc..) Also, you can look to see if any other schools competition packets are internet accessible, just to get a feeling.

NYC2014

Bronze

Post by NYC2014 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:05 am

4. Rest up
5. Ball so hard
6. ?
7. Law Review
Just spent $30 on the ebook. Gonna spend all day tomorrow reading it.

Better be worth it.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:11 am

NYC2014 wrote:
4. Rest up
5. Ball so hard
6. ?
7. Law Review

Better be worth it.
I like the ebook for the search function, but many schools prohibit it per honor code. Also, once you fuck with the bluebook for a while you start to learn where all the shit is-not so w/BB OL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 am

Rule 1: Prepare thy anus

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 am

sundance95 wrote:
NYC2014 wrote:
4. Rest up
5. Ball so hard
6. ?
7. Law Review

Better be worth it.
I like the ebook for the search function, but many schools prohibit it per honor code. Also, once you fuck with the bluebook for a while you start to learn where all the shit is-not so w/BB OL.
Be careful about this. If your competition is a closed competition and "everything you need is in the packet," then accessing this book may be prohibited behavior. Chances are, they aren't going to find out if you did use it, but I would ask before assuming.

#1 thing I would recommend is to give yourself time to proofread. Set a writing schedule for yourself.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu May 10, 2012 4:16 am

1) Learn to read
3) Work on the packet a lot
4) ??????
5) Profit

it's not rocket science

Dick Dastardly

New

Post by Dick Dastardly » Thu May 10, 2012 4:31 am

mths wrote:1) Learn to read
4) ??????
5) Profit

it's not rocket science
As long as #4 is "drink heavily," then I'm ready to succeed.

#2 is also drink heavily, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:57 am

mths wrote:1) Learn to read
4) ??????
5) Profit

it's not rocket science
Agree with all of this (except for the profit part, I feel like everyone loses by having to do the write-on).

I read the tips on write-on books and they were useless. What they don't tell you is that the write-on is a metric shit ton of reading so be prepared to spend several days just reading.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 am

Does anyone have any tips for the actual writing and subciting?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 am

ph14 wrote:Does anyone have any tips for the actual writing and subciting?
Make sure you read the instructions very carefully and only answer what's asked. My competition had a poorly worded question and anybody who answered it the wrong way basically got autodinged no matter how good the bluebooking was.

And it should go without saying but make sure your cites are perfect. Double and triple check those. Some people focus solely on the substance of their argument and think they can get away with sloppy bluebooking. But remember, the people grading these just spent a year becoming disgustingly intimately familiar with the bluebook and they will catch those little mistakes.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:06 am

Set a schedule and stick to it. It's easy to get into a summer slump, but you have to treat this as another exam. If you have a week, spend the first day or two reading everything, focusing on the main case. Then outline your argument, write, and make sure you save at least a day for bluebooking and substantive editing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:17 am

Make sure you know exactly what your competition is going to require before you start prepping. I megafailed by reading and tabbing Bluebook cover-to-cover, only to find out that my school's write-on had its own detailed set of citation rules in the packet. :oops:

But seriously, read the instructions, then read them again, then read them again. The person who drafted the packet for mine buried lots of little weird rules in the instructions.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

smokyroom26 wrote:Make sure you know exactly what your competition is going to require before you start prepping. I megafailed by reading and tabbing Bluebook cover-to-cover, only to find out that my school's write-on had its own detailed set of citation rules in the packet. :oops:

But seriously, read the instructions, then read them again, then read them again. The person who drafted the packet for mine buried lots of little weird rules in the instructions.
What exactly are you tabbing? Is that helpful?

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu May 10, 2012 11:25 am

ph14 wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Make sure you know exactly what your competition is going to require before you start prepping. I megafailed by reading and tabbing Bluebook cover-to-cover, only to find out that my school's write-on had its own detailed set of citation rules in the packet. :oops:

Doing it now, and agree with read the package multiple times. Also, If you don't really know what each rule entails, then tabbing is helpful. The more familiar with BB's rules you are, the less helpful tabbing is, I think.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:27 am

target wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Doing it now, and agree with read the package multiple times. Also, If you don't really know what each rule entails, then tabbing is helpful. The more familiar with BB's rules you are, the less helpful tabbing is, I think.
But what rules are you tabbing though? Just the general/important ones?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

specialsnowflake

New

Post by specialsnowflake » Thu May 10, 2012 11:28 am

tagging

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 am

There's an index in the Bluebook, as well as quick reference charts in the front and back cover. Tabs are a waste of time.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:50 am

I just tabbed the major rules (cases, statutes, periodicals, etc.). FWIW, I'm on LR and it's a timesaver when you're doing edits, index or no. Bluebook online is even better.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am

It's def not rocket science. I wouldn't waste time reading the Volokh book or anything. Take a look at notes your LR has published recently to see how they want an article (and thus, your write-on sub) to look.

Get to know the bluebook. I don't know what I can say about this without violating my LR's rules on the off chance a 1L at my school stumbled on this. I guess, generally, keep in mind that LR citations typically have a lot more going on in them than citations in documents for courts, and the separation on the write-on is going to come in being able to deftly handle all the extra shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LOLyer

Bronze

Post by LOLyer » Thu May 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Is it really that bad?? Is it going to be hell doing this and interning at the same time?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu May 10, 2012 12:06 pm

LOLyer wrote:Is it really that bad?? Is it going to be hell doing this and interning at the same time?
Nope. I started my 1L job right after finals and didn't even think about write-on for the first four or five days of the 10-day write on. Still had plenty of time to finish it without pulling all-nighters, freaking out, etc.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm

So my school does not really use the Bluebook for the write-on. They use Chicago. So make sure you look into what resources your school uses before wasting time tabbing shit you don't need to.

zultan

New

Post by zultan » Thu May 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Is it normal to not have a prompt/question? My packet just says to create an argument from the sources, then gives us hundreds of pages of sources that are ROUGHLY centered around a topic. Yech.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”