Motivation needed for write on

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 13, 2012 12:02 am

I've got 9 days left. I think I am going to read the cases today and then start outlining a response tomorrow.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun May 13, 2012 3:08 am

too lazy to look at it.

ugh. it's not even long.

Postby 071816 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:50 am

Lasers wrote:too lazy to look at it.

ugh. it's not even long.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 13, 2012 9:26 am

chimp wrote:

ugh. it's not even long.

lol

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 13, 2012 1:58 pm

just realized draft one sucks horse ball fuzz.... time to scrap and restart from scratch ( and boy was that a waste of time)

serioulsy starting to think its.just.not.worth.it ( and ill get journal dinged by every journal)

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:01 pm

northwood wrote:just realized draft one sucks horse ball fuzz.... time to scrap and restart from scratch ( and boy was that a waste of time)

serioulsy starting to think its.just.not.worth.it ( and ill get journal dinged by every journal)

I wouldn't scrap completely, just work from that. My first draft probably won't be that great either but since I am on a very limited time frame I will just edit it as best as I can.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 13, 2012 2:02 pm

oh no.. i did that this am... and i just realized its beyond repair.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 13, 2012 2:10 pm

and im done with this

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 13, 2012 2:14 pm

ill do moot court instead. eff this noise

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:14 pm

northwood wrote:ill do moot court instead. eff this noise

Just do it.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Finishing the competition is half the battle. A ton of people don't, so you probably have a better chance than you think.

howell

Postby howell » Sun May 13, 2012 2:43 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Finishing the competition is half the battle. A ton of people don't, so you probably have a better chance than you think.

This. And even for those that do finish, many turn in crap. I attended a T2 and grading the write-on competition was eye-opening. I assume many of the students turned something in just to turn it in. To the point that I could have improved many of them dramatically with a 30-60 minute edit.

Also take a look at the grading breakdown if it's available to you. You can turn in something with crap for legal analysis and still score at or near the top. Bluebooking was essentially 35% of our competition's grade. Also consider that if you're having trouble writing something you deem to be good, it's likely that everyone else is in the same boat. It's also likely that you don't even know what "good" looks like.

Just complete it, with the understanding that perfection is the enemy of the good. You will be ahead of a lot of students just by finishing. Even if you don't make it, at least you won't have to think "what if" from here on out. The year before I tried out for moot court, the competition at our school was extremely non-competitive. Essentially, if you tried out with a good faith effort, you made it on. The next year, it was a bloodbath. I know moot court isn't law review, but you never know from year to year how competitive or non-competitive some of these competitions might be.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Sun May 13, 2012 2:52 pm

howell wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:Finishing the competition is half the battle. A ton of people don't, so you probably have a better chance than you think.

This. And even for those that do finish, many turn in crap. I attended a T2 and grading the write-on competition was eye-opening. I assume many of the students turned something in just to turn it in. To the point that I could have improved many of them dramatically with a 30-60 minute edit.

Also take a look at the grading breakdown if it's available to you. You can turn in something with crap for legal analysis and still score at or near the top. Bluebooking was essentially 35% of our competition's grade. Also consider that if you're having trouble writing something you deem to be good, it's likely that everyone else is in the same boat. It's also likely that you don't even know what "good" looks like.

Just complete it, with the understanding that perfection is the enemy of the good. You will be ahead of a lot of students just by finishing. Even if you don't make it, at least you won't have to think "what if" from here on out. The year before I tried out for moot court, the competition at our school was extremely non-competitive. Essentially, if you tried out with a good faith effort, you made it on. The next year, it was a bloodbath. I know moot court isn't law review, but you never know from year to year how competitive or non-competitive some of these competitions might be.

TYFT

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun May 13, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm not sure I want lawl review. I prefer my secondary and my board position for next year. :? It's difficult getting motivation to try really hard for something I'm not sure I want.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 pm

howell wrote:

This is what I needed. THANK YOU

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:19 pm

shock259 wrote:
howell wrote:

This is what I needed. THANK YOU

+1.
Last edited by ph14 on Sun May 13, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Write on has made me realize just how much of a rat race law is. Get into the best school you can, get into the top 10%, get law review, get dat coveted SA position, work at a damn fine firm, make partner...

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:33 pm

howell wrote:

I haven't got my spring grades back, but thank you for this in advance.

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:41 pm

so close to being done! askdjfklashdf let's DO this bluebook.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Sun May 13, 2012 10:43 pm

bluebook/editing complete. time to read these 100 pages of bullshit for the note. :|

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun May 13, 2012 11:12 pm

chimp wrote:

ugh. it's not even long.

well played. :D

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun May 13, 2012 11:13 pm

still haven't started on anything yet. first day of work tomorrow. damn this summer is already turning to shit.

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 am

Lasers wrote:still haven't started on anything yet. first day of work tomorrow. damn this summer is already turning to shit.

write on does NOT count as summer. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

(i REFUSE to allow summer to go like this)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon May 14, 2012 12:10 am

Please don't write complete shit that I then have to give you a crappy grade for. TYIA.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 am

rad lulz wrote:Please don't write complete shit that I then have to give you a crappy grade for. TYIA.

No promises.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”