Motivation needed for write on

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gamecubesupreme

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:15 am

Wednesday now.

Still nothing.

I think I am gonna drown myself in alcohol after Friday passes when I have to face the truth that I failed to make LR.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 am

hiima3L wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Stressed that I screwed up my write-on submission because I didn't upload a transcript to the system with my case note. It didn't mention this in the instructions or on the upload page, but I found an obscure reference to this on an FAQ page on a different site. Feeling pretty confused now. Everything submitted through the submission page was anonymous (identified by an ID number), so I'm not sure how the transcript was supposed to work given that it has my name all over it. Also, grades play a pretty big role in the overall score (40%-50%), so if I have no grades available, I am pretty screwed. :cry:

Get in touch with your school's publications manager (or whatever title he/she goes by). They can sort it out if it's permitted.

I think I resolved everything (favorably), so I will hold off on peeing my pants for now.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Just a few from the gunner section at UT made it on (hint: the one that dominated the Hutchinson Moot Court Competition). Proud to be one of the few (quiet, chill, not gunnerish) selected from that section.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

I forgot to post, secondary journal at my transfer school. I'm psyched. I wasn't expecting anything since I felt my note was just terrible. Definitely pleased.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Congrats to everyone who has made a journal. I went through it last year, so I can sympathize with the agony of the write on and then waiting to find out whether you made it or not. Being on a journal is a lot of work and it sucks a lot of the time, but it's not too bad. I actually enjoyed it for the most part (other than writing my comment). And now I'm on the E-board and get to torture train all the new members. :-)

target

Postby target » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:06 pm

tstyler98 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has made a journal. I went through it last year, so I can sympathize with the agony of the write on and then waiting to find out whether you made it or not. Being on a journal is a lot of work and it sucks a lot of the time, but it's not too bad. I actually enjoyed it for the most part (other than writing my comment). And now I'm on the E-board and get to torture train all the new members. :-)

any advice? what do I need to do to get a board position?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:24 pm

target wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has made a journal. I went through it last year, so I can sympathize with the agony of the write on and then waiting to find out whether you made it or not. Being on a journal is a lot of work and it sucks a lot of the time, but it's not too bad. I actually enjoyed it for the most part (other than writing my comment). And now I'm on the E-board and get to torture train all the new members. :-)

any advice? what do I need to do to increase my chances at getting a board position?

Not sure if this is true at all schools, but here's my thoughts.

-Do a good job on your spading assignments. At Wake, we get a score for each assignment, which was then averaged, and is shown next to our picture during board selection. Don't be afraid to ask questions about how to do something, but also try finding the answer on your own first. The editor won't be too happy if the answer is easily discoverable with a quick google search or a look in the Bluebook index.

-If there are extra things you can do, do them. We had some optional things we could sign up for (picking up speakers for the Symposium, helping locate alumni, etc.). Not only will this be discussed during board selection, but you'll get to know some other current board members who will be deciding who is chosen.

-Get to know the current board members. While it's not a complete popularity contest, people are more likely to pick someone who they at least know a little over someone they don't. Also, if you know a couple pretty well, they can voice a strong opinion about you at the meeting, which might help the vote go in your favor.

-Give real thought into which positions you want and which you don't want (if you have that option). The current board would (most likely) rather see someone who lists only a few positions than all positions. Listing all positions may come across as "I'll do anything as long as I don't have to spade and write another note/comment next year." We got to list skills we had that would help us in each position we were applying for, so use that to your advantage.

-Talk to current board members about their positions. During my interview, they asked me questions about the position I had listed as my #1, and having talked to the person who had that position really helped. Also, when talking to the person about their position, ask them what they like/dislike about the position, what skills someone in that position should have, what the time commitment is, etc. It will give you a good idea of whether you'd be right for that position. Being on the board is demanding (including work over the summer if your journal requires that), but it'll be better if you're in a position you'll enjoy.

-Get to know your fellow staff members. We got to list people we'd recommend for a position and why, as well as people we wouldn't recommend and why. Having your peers recommend you for a position is always a plus, and having them not recommend you is a big negative (though make sure you have a legitimate reason for recommending/not recommending them or it could reflect badly on you).

That's all I can think of right this second. And this is just speaking from having gone through the application process. I won't be on the decision making side until February when we decide the board for the following year. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 pm

What is spading? Cite checking?

Good post btw.

If anyone has questions about doing the bare minimum of the good faith effort required to not get kicked out of law review I can answer questions on that.

howell

Postby howell » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 pm

tstyler98 wrote:Not sure if this is true at all schools, but here's my thoughts.

-Do a good job on your spading assignments. At Wake, we get a score for each assignment, which was then averaged, and is shown next to our picture during board selection. Don't be afraid to ask questions about how to do something, but also try finding the answer on your own first. The editor won't be too happy if the answer is easily discoverable with a quick google search or a look in the Bluebook index.

-If there are extra things you can do, do them. We had some optional things we could sign up for (picking up speakers for the Symposium, helping locate alumni, etc.). Not only will this be discussed during board selection, but you'll get to know some other current board members who will be deciding who is chosen.

-Get to know the current board members. While it's not a complete popularity contest, people are more likely to pick someone who they at least know a little over someone they don't. Also, if you know a couple pretty well, they can voice a strong opinion about you at the meeting, which might help the vote go in your favor.

-Give real thought into which positions you want and which you don't want (if you have that option). The current board would (most likely) rather see someone who lists only a few positions than all positions. Listing all positions may come across as "I'll do anything as long as I don't have to spade and write another note/comment next year." We got to list skills we had that would help us in each position we were applying for, so use that to your advantage.

-Talk to current board members about their positions. During my interview, they asked me questions about the position I had listed as my #1, and having talked to the person who had that position really helped. Also, when talking to the person about their position, ask them what they like/dislike about the position, what skills someone in that position should have, what the time commitment is, etc. It will give you a good idea of whether you'd be right for that position. Being on the board is demanding (including work over the summer if your journal requires that), but it'll be better if you're in a position you'll enjoy.

-Get to know your fellow staff members. We got to list people we'd recommend for a position and why, as well as people we wouldn't recommend and why. Having your peers recommend you for a position is always a plus, and having them not recommend you is a big negative (though make sure you have a legitimate reason for recommending/not recommending them or it could reflect badly on you).

That's all I can think of right this second. And this is just speaking from having gone through the application process. I won't be on the decision making side until February when we decide the board for the following year. If you have any other questions, let me know.

This is all good advice.

Try to find out how the board is selected for your journal. Check your constitution/bylaws/rules to see if it's listed there. I believe some journals let the 2Ls vote too, so that changes who you're having to win over. Our board selected the next board as a group. The important thing was selecting people who were willing to work, could do well in their individual positions, and work would together well as a group. We couldn't just ask "Is Adam good for Position X?" We had to ask "Are Adam, Bob, Cindy, and Darlene going to work well together in Positions W, X, Y, and Z?" too.

target

Postby target » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:43 pm

thank you so much for all the advice so far guys (or gals). I hope I would still feel motivated after those hours of cite checking & writing my note. :D

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Perseus_I wrote:Just a few from the gunner section at UT made it on (hint: the one that dominated the Hutchinson Moot Court Competition). Proud to be one of the few (quiet, chill, not gunnerish) selected from that section.

Haha, congrats! Although in this case, I think "dominated" = registered for.

Out of curiosity, anyone know whether some 2Ls use the same topic for their student note as for the write-on?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:56 am

Well I somehow got onto my flagship journal. It was a write-on competition with a slight boost for people with top grades. That boost must have helped a lot.

Sadly I'm transferring so I will actually be giving up my spot. But at least I can put "____ Law Review (invited)" on my resume for OCI.

Good luck to all those that are still waiting to hear.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:00 am

Cade McNown wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Just a few from the gunner section at UT made it on (hint: the one that dominated the Hutchinson Moot Court Competition). Proud to be one of the few (quiet, chill, not gunnerish) selected from that section.

Haha, congrats! Although in this case, I think "dominated" = registered for.

Out of curiosity, anyone know whether some 2Ls use the same topic for their student note as for the write-on?

I don't know of anyone who did this. Looking back, however, I probably should have.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:31 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:What is spading? Cite checking?

Good post btw.

If anyone has questions about doing the bare minimum of the good faith effort required to not get kicked out of law review I can answer questions on that.

Sorry. Yes, spading is cite checking.

WhoMe?

Postby WhoMe? » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 am

shock259 wrote:Sadly I'm transferring so I will actually be giving up my spot.

What happens to the vacated spots of people who transfer? Does anyone else get a chance to fill them?

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:57 am

If I get an offer for a journal, does that mean I was rejected by my school's LR?

Not quite sure if I should be happy I at least got on a journal or disappointed I didn't make LR.

r@dical

Postby r@dical » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 am

WhoMe? wrote:
shock259 wrote:Sadly I'm transferring so I will actually be giving up my spot.

What happens to the vacated spots of people who transfer? Does anyone else get a chance to fill them?

apparently for our LR, the spots for those who transfer/decline are not replenished

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 am

At my school, the editor told me that they will be given to incoming transfers. So I basically just opened an extra spot up for a transfer.

target

Postby target » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:If I get an offer for a journal, does that mean I was rejected by my school's LR?

Not quite sure if I should be happy I at least got on a journal or disappointed I didn't make LR.

I think each school is different in this regard. I know at least Cornell is like this. Check with your school's journals.

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Awesome!
Last edited by darkarmour on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm

shock259 wrote:At my school, the editor told me that they will be given to incoming transfers. So I basically just opened an extra spot up for a transfer.

ooh, i hope this happens at gulc

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Ph makes a good point. Better safe than sorry.
Last edited by gdane on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:43 pm

gdane wrote:Law review comp is about...

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:10 pm

I don't know what's worse, slaving away for two weeks on your case note, or dealing with the anxiety and soul crushing hopelessness of waiting to hear whether you made it.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:42 pm

trololol...just checking in with round two.

i haven't done shit...got a couple days. let's do this.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”