Motivation needed for write on

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby northwood » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 am

I'm sure they will send you an email

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Wait, do all schools call or something some do? Please tell me they won't rescind the offer if you don't pick up.

Cause I am away on vacation in July and will have no way of answering any calls...


They won't rescind. There's usually a giant woo-hoo members email. When my editor called me, I didn't see it until nearly an hour after and it was fine. If you make it, pickingup the phone won't negate anything. I haven't done the grading, obviously, but if nothing starts until august there isn't a huge acceptance rush. Plus, I've only heard of one person ever declining acceptance (I know...wtf) so they assume you will accept.

vicuna
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby vicuna » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 am

alicrimson wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Wait, do all schools call or something some do? Please tell me they won't rescind the offer if you don't pick up.

Cause I am away on vacation in July and will have no way of answering any calls...


They won't rescind. There's usually a giant woo-hoo members email. When my editor called me, I didn't see it until nearly an hour after and it was fine. If you make it, pickingup the phone won't negate anything. I haven't done the grading, obviously, but if nothing starts until august there isn't a huge acceptance rush. Plus, I've only heard of one person ever declining acceptance (I know...wtf) so they assume you will accept.


So, are journals making calls tonight like last year?

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 pm

beachbum wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Informed "latter half of July". Sigh.


Yup.


Under promise and over deliver. We find out tomorrow at 9 AM about exclusives apparently.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:01 pm

vicuna wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Wait, do all schools call or something some do? Please tell me they won't rescind the offer if you don't pick up.

Cause I am away on vacation in July and will have no way of answering any calls...


They won't rescind. There's usually a giant woo-hoo members email. When my editor called me, I didn't see it until nearly an hour after and it was fine. If you make it, pickingup the phone won't negate anything. I haven't done the grading, obviously, but if nothing starts until august there isn't a huge acceptance rush. Plus, I've only heard of one person ever declining acceptance (I know...wtf) so they assume you will accept.


So, are journals making calls tonight like last year?


If you're at my law school, law review has made calls. The other competitions are currently ongoing.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby northwood » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Just dont tip your hand on Facebook

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Holy fucking shitfuck I made it. Holy fuck. Those 2 weeks of torture, sleeping 5 hours a night and working the rest, actually fucking paid off. Jesus.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:41 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Holy fucking shitfuck I made it. Holy fuck. Those 2 weeks of torture, sleeping 5 hours a night and working the rest, actually fucking paid off. Jesus.

Congrats!!

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:26 pm

northwood wrote:Just dont tip your hand on Facebook


Someone at my school did this very blatantly. Here, people understand. There? I'm not so sure your friend list consisting of a majority of people who did not make it will be so understanding. I stalked that status long enough to see a few people call him out for being an ass.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Holy fucking shitfuck I made it. Holy fuck. Those 2 weeks of torture, sleeping 5 hours a night and working the rest, actually fucking paid off. Jesus.



Great job!!!

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12513
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby jessuf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 pm

I don't find out until August right before OCI. Brain meltingggggg

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 pm

anyone know whether being part of a secondary journal in your specialty (say a technology journal for IP) is seen as "better" than being part of LR?

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 pm

lsatextreme wrote:anyone know whether being part of a secondary journal in your specialty (say a technology journal for IP) is seen as "better" than being part of LR?


Not at all. LR is always better

lightningboalt
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby lightningboalt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Anyone know when LR results are out at Boalt?

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby glitter178 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:40 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Holy fucking shitfuck I made it. Holy fuck. Those 2 weeks of torture, sleeping 5 hours a night and working the rest, actually fucking paid off. Jesus.



Yay, congratulations! I made it today too! So excited, I have to remember this moment 3 months from now when i'm thinking about /self

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby JJDancer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:15 am

glitter178 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Holy fucking shitfuck I made it. Holy fuck. Those 2 weeks of torture, sleeping 5 hours a night and working the rest, actually fucking paid off. Jesus.



Yay, congratulations! I made it today too! So excited, I have to remember this moment 3 months from now when i'm thinking about /self

Omg I was half in shock when I signed on to mylaw! Congrats!!

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 am

glitter178 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Holy fucking shitfuck I made it. Holy fuck. Those 2 weeks of torture, sleeping 5 hours a night and working the rest, actually fucking paid off. Jesus.



Yay, congratulations! I made it today too! So excited, I have to remember this moment 3 months from now when i'm thinking about /self


Congrats!!!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:00 am

While I agree that law review is always better than a secondary journal, getting published in a secondary journal & becoming an editor of a journal in one's specialty is a solid resume booster.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:23 am

CanadianWolf wrote:While I agree that law review is always better than a secondary journal, getting published in a secondary journal & becoming an editor of a journal in one's specialty is a solid resume booster.


is there anyone reason to take a secondary journal offer over a LR offer if that secondary journal is your specialty and you have reason to believe it's easier to get on their e-board than the LR e-board?

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:43 am

lsatextreme wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:While I agree that law review is always better than a secondary journal, getting published in a secondary journal & becoming an editor of a journal in one's specialty is a solid resume booster.


is there anyone reason to take a secondary journal offer over a LR offer if that secondary journal is your specialty and you have reason to believe it's easier to get on their e-board than the LR e-board?


Taking a shot in the dark, but I think this would largely depend on the school and how specific your vision is for the future. If you are at a T14 school, this may not be a bad move because your grades are presumably strong enough that it does not matter and may actually make you a unique candidate. However, at lower ranked schools, often times employers will only recruit law review members so it is much more instrumental to the job search to have that line on your resume.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:46 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:While I agree that law review is always better than a secondary journal, getting published in a secondary journal & becoming an editor of a journal in one's specialty is a solid resume booster.


is there anyone reason to take a secondary journal offer over a LR offer if that secondary journal is your specialty and you have reason to believe it's easier to get on their e-board than the LR e-board?


There is never a reason to take a secondary over LR. Always, always take the flagship law review.

User avatar
Broseidon
Posts: 2663
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby Broseidon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:47 pm

I've had it with this wait. Don't even care anymore.

acw1213
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby acw1213 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:43 pm

.
Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm

@lsatextreme: That would really depend upon the particulars. Some law schools permit students to participate on two journals at the same time.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@lsatextreme: That would really depend upon the particulars. Some law schools permit students to participate on two journals at the same time.


I've never heard of this. Not saying you're wrong but who on their right mind would want to be on LR and another journal?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Bing [Bot], redsxfan2010, ThePlusEquestrian, ValeVale and 10 guests