Motivation needed for write on

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ludo!

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Metaread wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Metaread wrote:Right now I'm not motivated to do the write-on cuz I was accepted into Moot Court. Do you guys think it's worth doing the write-on for a chance at an acceptance into law review?

I
Of course. Moot court is not on the same level as law review

Explain.

Law review is much more prestigious than moot court, there's not much else to explain. If you go to a really good school and know for sure your spring grades will be good and know for sure you never want to clerk, then you might not need the law review boost, but otherwise you should at least do the competition.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Every day I come these threads and click on them. And read your thoughts. You have a few brags, and a few laughs, and it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is? For about ten seconds, from when I click on the link and it loads the page, 'cause I think, maybe I'll open this thread and I'll read what T1 students worry about and it won't be stupid. No whining. No stressed out panic attacks. No nothing. You just wrote. I don't know much, but I know that.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 11, 2012 11:13 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Every day I come these threads and click on them. And read your thoughts. You have a few brags, and a few laughs, and it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is? For about ten seconds, from when I click on the link and it loads the page, 'cause I think, maybe I'll open this thread and I'll read what T1 students worry about and it won't be stupid. No whining. No stressed out panic attacks. No nothing. You just wrote. I don't know much, but I know that.

It's not your fault

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Fri May 11, 2012 11:23 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Every day I come these threads and click on them. And read your thoughts. You have a few brags, and a few laughs, and it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is? For about ten seconds, from when I click on the link and it loads the page, 'cause I think, maybe I'll open this thread and I'll read what T1 students worry about and it won't be stupid. No whining. No stressed out panic attacks. No nothing. You just wrote. I don't know much, but I know that.

I would like to have some of whatever you're on

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Fri May 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Ok, but what's the difference between law review and a secondary journal then? There is a prestige drop there right?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 11, 2012 11:34 pm

Metaread wrote:Ok, but what's the difference between law review and a secondary journal then? There is a prestige drop there right?

Yes. Secondary journals and moot court are probably about equal, depending on the school. I think some judges still prefer a journal for clerking though

Void

Postby Void » Sat May 12, 2012 1:00 am

adonai wrote:I would motoboat my face in a pile of dung for any increased chance of employment. Bluebooking around the clock is the least of my worries...

...except when you're in the law review office so much bluebooking around the clock that your grades start to slip, decreasing your chances of employment. :)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat May 12, 2012 1:02 am

Void wrote:
adonai wrote:I would motoboat my face in a pile of dung for any increased chance of employment. Bluebooking around the clock is the least of my worries...

...except when you're in the law review office so much bluebooking around the clock that your grades start to slip, decreasing your chances of employment. :)

Except if you didn't already have employment by then you were probably fucked anyway

Void

Postby Void » Sat May 12, 2012 1:05 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Void wrote:

Except if you didn't already have employment by then you were probably fucked anyway

Thanks for reminding me, pal.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat May 12, 2012 1:09 am

Ouch. Sorry dude. Just don't want anyone in here to consider not trying for LR

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sat May 12, 2012 5:05 am

Awkward...

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:58 am

Day 2. How's it going for everyone?

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 pm

THIS SHIT'S AWFUL. i need to remember how much i hated this when i don't get law review regardless of slaving away over it for a week.

Void

Postby Void » Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 pm

ph14 wrote:Day 2. How's it going for everyone?

I don't think it's Day 2 for everyone, right? If so, we haven't even given the packet to the 1Ls yet and our competition editor should be fired.

Bigbub75

Postby Bigbub75 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:46 pm

I hate everything...

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Bigbub75 wrote:

I hate everything...

Fairly accurate summation.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:08 pm

I am fine/a little tired, but I think I am moving too slow. This is a real tedious process.

Postby 071816 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:13 pm

If we were just sent a big ass PDF file, do you guys recommend printing everything out? I don't really feel like paying for copies of 370 pages.

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Sat May 12, 2012 6:37 pm

chimp wrote:If we were just sent a big ass PDF file, do you guys recommend printing everything out? I don't really feel like paying for copies of 370 pages.

I printed everything out because I like to make notes while I read and can print for free at work. I guess there's probably a way to edit a pdf to serve the same purpose. I feel whatever makes this process less repulsive is credited.

mirodh

Postby mirodh » Sat May 12, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm going with Goodwill Hunting--I didn't go look up the quote or anything, but it seems to follow it pretty well if memory serves.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat May 12, 2012 7:11 pm

mirodh wrote:

I'm going with Goodwill Hunting--I didn't go look up the quote or anything, but it seems to follow it pretty well if memory serves.

yes its when ben afflack tells will to seize his potential

got my bare bones outline for what i want to write done... and im calling it a night( i am just burnt out)

target

Postby target » Sat May 12, 2012 8:33 pm

northwood wrote:

got my bare bones outline for what i want to write done... and im calling it a night( i am just burnt out)

that's progress right there. I haven't finished reading all the materials yet, and it's been a few days for me. Like someone, I am moving too slow. How long do people have anyway?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:34 pm

target wrote:
northwood wrote:

that's progress right there. I haven't finished reading all the materials yet, and it's been a few days for me. Like someone, I am moving too slow. How long do people have anyway?

5 more days here. I won't be reading anywhere close to all the materials though. We have probably 1,000 pages between both parts.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 pm

i have until friday. but im gonna start writing tomorrow ( gonna open and close the library)....
not gonna do the editing portion of the test until im done with the paper

target

Postby target » Sat May 12, 2012 8:39 pm

I have ten days or so left, and that's been the motivation killer. I need to put my foot down and start writing soon. Good luck to everyone!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”