Motivation needed for write on

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Just realized all the citations are going to take FOREVER. Need to get this written asap since it's due tomorrow!

:shock:

Haha I mean I knew that. But the citations within citations are what really horrified me.

That's not too bad. What horrified me was when information was missing from the citation, then I was like do I just not keep it or do I write something like that it's not there or what! The Bluebook doesn't say what to do when certain things aren't available :(

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu May 24, 2012 5:49 pm

ilovesf wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Just realized all the citations are going to take FOREVER. Need to get this written asap since it's due tomorrow!

:shock:

Haha I mean I knew that. But the citations within citations are what really horrified me.

That's not too bad. What horrified me was when information was missing from the citation, then I was like do I just not keep it or do I write something like that it's not there or what! The Bluebook doesn't say what to do when certain things aren't available :(

seriously... :x

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:That's not too bad. What horrified me was when information was missing from the citation, then I was like do I just not keep it or do I write something like that it's not there or what! The Bluebook doesn't say what to do when certain things aren't available :(

Good, I'm happy I wasn't just imagining it lol

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu May 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Our law review writing portion starts tomorrow. Whether you grade on or not, you must write at my school. Those who grade on must complete the exam "satisfactorily." Whatever that means. I'm going to assume it means just do the best you can. Period. And get over it. Oh, extra work after finals....why?!?!

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu May 24, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm so over this write on that I just baked a batch of brownies. I haven't baked anything since 7th grade home ec. :arrow: Losing my mind.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:That's not too bad. What horrified me was when information was missing from the citation, then I was like do I just not keep it or do I write something like that it's not there or what! The Bluebook doesn't say what to do when certain things aren't available :(

Good, I'm happy I wasn't just imagining it lol

Oh our school told us to just omit whatever was missing.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 am

I did the bluebooking exercise and it took forever, but I didn't finish the note. Oh well, I'm 80% sure I'm going to transfer if I still have the opportunity to do so after all my grades come in, so hopefully that works out.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:10 am

This is the worst experience of my 1L. Petrified of being accepted to a journal. Also scared of not making any. I fucking hate law school.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 25, 2012 12:13 am

Mine begins in 6 days. *gulp*

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 am

Write on started right after finals and I have yet to do any of it. Just read a few cases and planning on writing the majority of my essay tonight. Its due in a week and citation is only a small portion of the score so not worried about that just yet. Haunting memories of writing the brief are coming back, lucky for me its only 10 pages.

Postby 071816 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:42 am

Finally done with this shit.

--ImageRemoved--

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri May 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Mike12188 wrote:This is the worst experience of my 1L. Petrified of being accepted to a journal. Also scared of not making any. I fucking hate law school.

you took the words and thoughts out of my mouth and brain

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Fri May 25, 2012 8:27 pm

How do y'all feel about the content of your write-on submission? On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = WTF is this TTT shit??, 10 = just wrote the new treatise on XYZ!!), how would you rate the quality of your analysis?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Cade McNown wrote:How do y'all feel about the content of your write-on submission? On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = WTF is this TTT shit??, 10 = just wrote the new treatise on XYZ!!), how would you rate the quality of your analysis?

3/10. i didn't give two shits about analysis, to be honest. i tried to just focus on citing properly, etc. but i'm fairly certain i still made many bluebooking errors.

target

Postby target » Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Lasers wrote: i tried to just focus on citing properly, etc. but i'm fairly certain i still made many bluebooking errors.

everytime I look at my bluebook exercise, I find another error that I miss. At what point do you just say fuck this, I am done with cite check?

Dick Dastardly

Postby Dick Dastardly » Fri May 25, 2012 8:47 pm

target wrote:everytime I look at my bluebook exercise, I find another error that I miss. At what point do you just say fuck this, I am done with cite check?

When it is due?

I have no damn idea what I'm doing with the bluebooking exercise. I don't even own a bluebook. Writing is pretty easy, but citechecking is just ridiculous.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Fri May 25, 2012 9:42 pm

My write-on submission is easily the biggest pile of shit I have ever written for law school.

I really hope the rumor of them not even reading your composition seriously and only take those who Bluebooked well to be true.

Cause otherwise I am pretty fucked.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:45 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:This is the worst experience of my 1L. Petrified of being accepted to a journal. Also scared of not making any. I fucking hate law school.

you took the words and thoughts out of my mouth and brain

+1

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Cade McNown wrote:How do y'all feel about the content of your write-on submission? On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = WTF is this TTT shit??, 10 = just wrote the new treatise on XYZ!!), how would you rate the quality of your analysis?

Analysis 5/10 but I didn't realize how important headings and stuff are and I'm not too happy with the structure. I'd give structure 3/10.

I have no idea how my bluebooking went. I refuse to think about it any longer. These are the three days I truly have off - time to enjoy!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 pm

i realize this is completely dependent on the school but in general, what percentage of people who write on will actually make it onto a LR/journal?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri May 25, 2012 10:50 pm

lsatextreme wrote:i realize this is completely dependent on the school but in general, what percentage of people who write on will actually make it onto a LR/journal?

At USC we have Law Review and 2 secondary journals.
LR takes 40 people and the other two take 30 each so a total of 100 people. We have 200 people in the class so assuming at least 150 compete in the write on, 2/3 (or a little less if more people write on). The odds aren't bad at our school at least.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sat May 26, 2012 12:14 pm

This is so expensive. I'm wishing I'd taken out additional loans to cover printing costs...Okay, so its not that bad, but 480 pages printed at kinko's winds up to be around 50 bucks. Problemsl

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat May 26, 2012 12:28 pm

alicrimson wrote:This is so expensive. I'm wishing I'd taken out additional loans to cover printing costs...Okay, so its not that bad, but 480 pages printed at kinko's winds up to be around 50 bucks. Problemsl

You printed all of them? I'm debating trying to go by Nova or FIU and use their Westlaw printers. Not sure how that would work.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Everyone of of my friends are out on a boat in Miami and putting pics up on facebook. This is miserable.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sat May 26, 2012 4:40 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:This is so expensive. I'm wishing I'd taken out additional loans to cover printing costs...Okay, so its not that bad, but 480 pages printed at kinko's winds up to be around 50 bucks. Problemsl

You printed all of them? I'm debating trying to go by Nova or FIU and use their Westlaw printers. Not sure how that would work.

Yeah, the bf really wanted to print them because he thinks it'll be more helpful for him and I was like, sure, why not? lol.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”