Motivation needed for write on

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dreakol

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Postby dreakol » Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Scaliable wrote:Is law review write on success really determined by pouring every last available second into the paper? Lots of the posts ITT seem to say more time = more win, but I don't feel that way. Am I just fooling myself?

probably depends on how long you get but even if it is only a week, i doubt more time=more win.

plus, everyone itt seems to be procrastinating left and right

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Scaliable wrote:Is law review write on success really determined by pouring every last available second into the paper? Lots of the posts ITT seem to say more time = more win, but I don't feel that way. Am I just fooling myself?

Depends heavily on your school. Every person I've talked to who made it onto law review (which is not all of them) said they put in consistently 10-12 hours a day every single day, while none of the people I talked to who didn't make it said they had. Anecdotal, but worth noting, esp. since we had to write a 20 page case note in a closed world of 1000 pages, and then do a 28-page subcite by hand, there was def. a minimum number of hours you needed to put in to simply finish it (forget finishing it well) that a lot of people couldn't muster after finals were over. I got mine in, but I def. knew I must've missed a lot with the subcite. Ran out of time.

acw1213

Postby acw1213 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scaliable

Postby Scaliable » Mon May 21, 2012 9:44 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Depends heavily on your school. Every person I've talked to who made it onto law review (which is not all of them) said they put in consistently 10-12 hours a day every single day, while none of the people I talked to who didn't make it said they had. Anecdotal, but worth noting, esp. since we had to write a 20 page case note in a closed world of 1000 pages, and then do a 28-page subcite by hand, there was def. a minimum number of hours you needed to put in to simply finish it (forget finishing it well) that a lot of people couldn't muster after finals were over. I got mine in, but I def. knew I must've missed a lot with the subcite. Ran out of time.

How many days did you have?

acw1213

Postby acw1213 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Last edited by acw1213 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon May 21, 2012 11:31 pm

I'd guess I'm in the minority here, but is anyone else irked by the relatively long write on period their school has? Ours is exactly 19 days and in all honesty, I think that is far too long. I don't need more people having had the luxury to take a breather from all the finals studying then having the time to whip up something decent before it's finally due. I really wish they gave us 7-14 days like most schools do so it actually penalizes the lazy and forces people to push on

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 pm

lsatextreme wrote:I'd guess I'm in the minority here, but is anyone else irked by the relatively long write on period their school has? Ours is exactly 19 days and in all honesty, I think that is far too long. I don't need more people having had the luxury to take a breather from all the finals studying then having the time to whip up something decent before it's finally due. I really wish they gave us 7-14 days like most schools do so it actually penalizes the lazy and forces people to push on

tool.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Scaliable wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

How many days did you have?

Scaliable

Postby Scaliable » Tue May 22, 2012 12:14 am

Mike12188 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:I'd guess I'm in the minority here, but is anyone else irked by the relatively long write on period their school has? Ours is exactly 19 days and in all honesty, I think that is far too long. I don't need more people having had the luxury to take a breather from all the finals studying then having the time to whip up something decent before it's finally due. I really wish they gave us 7-14 days like most schools do so it actually penalizes the lazy and forces people to push on

tool.

Idk, I feel the same. UT gives us over 2 weeks, no bluebooking examination, not a particularly large universe of materials, only a page limit instead of a word limit... I don't so much care about the lazy folk, I'm just underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 am

Scaliable wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:

tool.

Idk, I feel the same. UT gives us over 2 weeks, no bluebooking examination, not a particularly large universe of materials, only a page limit instead of a word limit... I don't so much care about the lazy folk, I'm just underwhelmed by the whole thing.

True. I think he's a tool for the bolded.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue May 22, 2012 12:31 am

lol ok that's fair. I definitely forgot to preface it with the fact that I am not confident in my writing abilities at all, so I am giving others the credit for having the ability to whip up something decent in the much lesser amount of time it would take for me to write something of equal quality. I've honestly been busting my ass on this but it still sounds and looks like shit.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 am

ugh...gonna get almost no sleep tonight.

i guess this is what i get for putting this off until the last day.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 am

Lasers wrote:ugh...gonna get almost no sleep tonight.

i guess this is what i get for putting this off until the last day.

ya i am finishing up now. are you applying to other journals too?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 pm

DONE, GONNA GO CELEBRATE MY FACE OFF

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Tue May 22, 2012 4:36 pm

2 days into our 4 day writing competition and I haven't started yet.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I have another week before it's finished. But work starts and I have to make a 3 day cross country trek in that week. That basically means I have tomorrow and Thursday to do the bulk of the work.

Somebody say something that's going to get me excited to do this.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 am

Should be done with everything tomorrow. With a week left to revise.

target

Postby target » Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 am

whoever came up with the bluebooking system had too much free time. I mean seriously who would give a f@#$ about an italicized comma when an unitalicized comma would do the job. . . /rant

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 am

lisjjen wrote:I have another week before it's finished. But work starts and I have to make a 3 day cross country trek in that week. That basically means I have tomorrow and Thursday to do the bulk of the work.

Somebody say something that's going to get me excited to do this.

No matter what, the competition must be done in a week. Work hard for two days, get as much done as you can, and then forget about it.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm reading the draft I wrote a few days ago. It actually isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. To do list: cites, moar editing.

Postby 071816 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:41 am

target wrote:whoever came up with the bluebooking system had too much free time. I mean seriously who would give a f@#$ about an italicized comma when an unitalicized comma would do the job. . . /rant

I'm convinced that the Bluebook is nothing more than an elaborate trolling effort.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Just realized all the citations are going to take FOREVER. Need to get this written asap since it's due tomorrow!

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu May 24, 2012 1:11 pm

JJDancer wrote:Just realized all the citations are going to take FOREVER. Need to get this written asap since it's due tomorrow!

:shock:

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu May 24, 2012 1:59 pm

chimp wrote:
target wrote:whoever came up with the bluebooking system had too much free time. I mean seriously who would give a f@#$ about an italicized comma when an unitalicized comma would do the job. . . /rant

I'm convinced that the Bluebook is nothing more than an elaborate trolling effort.

YES.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu May 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Just realized all the citations are going to take FOREVER. Need to get this written asap since it's due tomorrow!

:shock:

Haha I mean I knew that. But the citations within citations are what really horrified me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”