Study abroad 2L - Spring Semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
katesearches

Study abroad 2L - Spring Semester

Postby katesearches » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Has anyone studied abroad specifically 2L, Spring?

I'm thinking about doing a semester abroad in law school & I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences.. including, but not limited to these topics:

How did it affect extracurricular activities (were you able to resume your position? or not). Academically, were you able to fulfill all your 2L requirements abroad, or did you end up having to take extra time to finish requirements (were you able to graduate with your cohort on time)? How did it affect your social life back at home, when you were away, and when you got back? Did you secure a summer position through OCI before leaving, in the fall, or find a position after you got back? Anything else?

TTTLS

Re: Study abroad 2L - Spring Semester

Postby TTTLS » Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 am

Is such a thing possible? :shock: I want in.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 am

TTTLS wrote:Is such a thing possible? :shock: I want in.

I think it depends on the program.

e.g. HLS JD/LLM etc...but I guess not for the commonplace J.D.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun May 13, 2012 7:24 pm

thought I'd bump this because I'm pretty interested. I'm probably going to do a domestic externship and don't want to hijack, but would love to hear about that. BUT I'd kinda prefer to do a semester abroad so any info would be greatly appreciated!

rtb2008x

Postby rtb2008x » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 am

BUMP

Post semester abroad experiences!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 pm

rtb2008x wrote:BUMP

Post semester abroad experiences!

Okay. The people I knew who did lawl abroad have the same (and maybe more) debt and no jerbs. So just like me, but they have Europe on their resume.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:15 pm

I would really recommend against this unless you're a special snowflake. There is really no reason to go except for fun, as it won't really enhance job prospects for 95% of people. The time for fun study abroad is in undergrad. If you want to go abroad, do an externship.

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Maybe I can help. I'm at HLS. I studied abroad in Geneva, Switzerland, the spring of my 2L year (this past spring). It's totally possible (at least at HLS).

How did it affect extracurricular activities (were you able to resume your position? or not)?

I had to scale back my journal activities due to a lack of face time. I also couldn't run for any positions requiring a "campaign" due to my absence, although I did get a nice executive board position upon my return.

Academically, were you able to fulfill all your 2L requirements abroad, or did you end up having to take extra time to finish requirements (were you able to graduate with your cohort on time)?

I was able to take enough credits abroad to stay on track. I'll have no problems graduating.

How did it affect your social life back at home, when you were away, and when you got back?

I mean, I was gone for a semester. I wouldn't say, though, that it affected my social life negatively in the long run. I kept in touch with facebook and skype. Plus, I made a ton of new friends abroad.

Did you secure a summer position through OCI before leaving, in the fall, or find a position after you got back?

I got a biglaw position through OCI before leaving. I had to start a couple weeks late because of exam dates in Switzerland, but the firm was fine with it. I got an offer, so I can report no negative effects employment-wise in my case from my semester abroad.

Anything else?

Do it if you can.

ETA: My tuition/COL was the same abroad as at HLS. I think my loans got a bump for plane ticket purchases, but nothing major.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”