Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Which would necessitate many more students to fail than under the current letter grade system. Intriguing idea though.


No it doesn't.

Or have grades, no curve, but have no disclosure policy like Wharton does, and HBS used to have.

Or we can just sit around, sing kumbaya and smoke peyote for 3 years.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dingbat wrote:
TTH wrote:This thread is proof that the curve deprives people of their humanity.

This is very true. I want to be graded on my merits, not on everyone else's merits


When someone is hiring you based on those grades, it's effectively curved no matter what. Strict Pass/ Fail is the only option.

I disagree.
I like the math/hard science approach of X% right is an A, Y% is a B, etc
I understand law is more subjective, but if it's possible to grade quality in a Comparative Literature dissertation it's possible to do the same for a law school exam.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby keg411 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm

dingbat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dingbat wrote:
TTH wrote:This thread is proof that the curve deprives people of their humanity.

This is very true. I want to be graded on my merits, not on everyone else's merits


When someone is hiring you based on those grades, it's effectively curved no matter what. Strict Pass/ Fail is the only option.

I disagree.
I like the math/hard science approach of X% right is an A, Y% is a B, etc
I understand law is more subjective, but if it's possible to grade quality in a Comparative Literature dissertation it's possible to do the same for a law school exam.


Well, get used to being at the mercy the curve, because you have no other choice. Either that or pick a different career.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 10, 2012 3:44 pm

keg411 wrote:Well, get used to being at the mercy the curve, because you have no other choice. Either that or pick a different career.

+1. Just like in life, somebody wins, somebody loses.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Is it legitimate to request more exam time for being an aspie?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
keg411 wrote:Well, get used to being at the mercy the curve, because you have no other choice. Either that or pick a different career.

+1. Just like in life, somebody wins, somebody loses.

I'm ready

In life, it doesn't have to be that way.
Sometimes more can be achieved by working together than by working against each other
(growing thè pie bigger, rather than fighting for the biggest piece of a small pie)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 pm

dingbat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dingbat wrote:
TTH wrote:This thread is proof that the curve deprives people of their humanity.

This is very true. I want to be graded on my merits, not on everyone else's merits


When someone is hiring you based on those grades, it's effectively curved no matter what. Strict Pass/ Fail is the only option.

I disagree.
I like the math/hard science approach of X% right is an A, Y% is a B, etc
I understand law is more subjective, but if it's possible to grade quality in a Comparative Literature dissertation it's possible to do the same for a law school exam.


Most math and science courses in college are curved, at least at good schools. Because what X% = A Y%=B is totally arbitrary. The only way to tell what % is an A is by judging relative to their peers.

And the classes who don't curve just create a test that automatically curves based on what they know how people normally do. But it's still a curve.

What does an A law school exam even look like. Who the fuck knows.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 10, 2012 5:56 pm

dingbat wrote:
TTH wrote:This thread is proof that the curve deprives people of their humanity.

This is very true. I want to be graded on my merits, not on everyone else's merits


I wouldn't go to law school then, disabilities accomodation notwithstanding.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby IAFG » Thu May 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Geneva wrote:
ryegye87 wrote:So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this thread started to talk about people who are ABUSING the system and claiming they have a disability when they don't?

There were about 3 posts on that actual topic and now there have been 3 pages on whether or not people who ACTUALLY HAVE the disability should receive extra time on their exams. What does the latter have anything to do with the OP's question?


haha, why does this seem to happen ALL THE TIME on here!

I don't know how this could turn into anything other than a witch hunt. And I find the assumption that some significant number of people are successfully scamming their healthcare professionals and school administrators a little strange.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 10, 2012 6:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
Geneva wrote:
ryegye87 wrote:So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this thread started to talk about people who are ABUSING the system and claiming they have a disability when they don't?

There were about 3 posts on that actual topic and now there have been 3 pages on whether or not people who ACTUALLY HAVE the disability should receive extra time on their exams. What does the latter have anything to do with the OP's question?


haha, why does this seem to happen ALL THE TIME on here!

I don't know how this could turn into anything other than a witch hunt. And I find the assumption that some significant number of people are successfully scamming their healthcare professionals and school administrators a little strange.


Also, I don't remember OP providing any concrete reason to support the notion that people were ABUSING the system. Threads like these are always an implicit invitation for witch hunting.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu May 10, 2012 6:07 pm

dingbat wrote:I'm not saying that the mentally disabled should be disregarded, I just think that there are certain jobs they might be less suited for
dingbat wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think most people with mental illness are perfectly capable of functioning in society, but not in every function (the same way that a deaf person can't compose a symphony blind person should not drive a truck)


I feel compelled to point out that the most often played symphony in the history of Western music was, in fact written by a deaf person. Beethoven gradually lost his hearing as a young adult, probably due to acute lead poisoning. About the time his hearing loss became complete he wrote his Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67, the most often played piece of classical music on National Public Radio.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Sapientia wrote:Is it legitimate to request more exam time for being an aspie?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 7:05 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
dingbat wrote:I'm not saying that the mentally disabled should be disregarded, I just think that there are certain jobs they might be less suited for
dingbat wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think most people with mental illness are perfectly capable of functioning in society, but not in every function (the same way that a deaf person can't compose a symphony blind person should not drive a truck)


I feel compelled to point out that the most often played symphony in the history of Western music was, in fact written by a deaf person. Beethoven gradually lost his hearing as a young adult, probably due to acute lead poisoning. About the time his hearing loss became complete he wrote his Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67, the most often played piece of classical music on National Public Radio.

I know, that's why I put in the reference like that
People can overcome their disabilities.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby Sandro » Thu May 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Geneva wrote:
ryegye87 wrote:So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this thread started to talk about people who are ABUSING the system and claiming they have a disability when they don't?

There were about 3 posts on that actual topic and now there have been 3 pages on whether or not people who ACTUALLY HAVE the disability should receive extra time on their exams. What does the latter have anything to do with the OP's question?


haha, why does this seem to happen ALL THE TIME on here!


Werd. Reason #2243424 why law students are insufferable - a topic about people abusing disability status calls them into action to defend disability status as a whole and arguing that the hypothetical person you describe is not in fact abusing it. Right.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby IAFG » Fri May 11, 2012 6:58 am

Sandro wrote:
Geneva wrote:
ryegye87 wrote:So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this thread started to talk about people who are ABUSING the system and claiming they have a disability when they don't?

There were about 3 posts on that actual topic and now there have been 3 pages on whether or not people who ACTUALLY HAVE the disability should receive extra time on their exams. What does the latter have anything to do with the OP's question?


haha, why does this seem to happen ALL THE TIME on here!


Werd. Reason #2243424 why law students are insufferable - a topic about people abusing disability status calls them into action to defend disability status as a whole and arguing that the hypothetical person you describe is not in fact abusing it. Right.

I think I explained pretty thoroughly why this always happens.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby Mike12188 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:36 am

Geneva wrote:
ryegye87 wrote:So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this thread started to talk about people who are ABUSING the system and claiming they have a disability when they don't?

There were about 3 posts on that actual topic and now there have been 3 pages on whether or not people who ACTUALLY HAVE the disability should receive extra time on their exams. What does the latter have anything to do with the OP's question?


haha, why does this seem to happen ALL THE TIME on here!


They prob. didn't have enough time to read the title.

User avatar
tedler
Posts: 1425
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby tedler » Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 pm

.
Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby dingbat » Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
dingbat wrote:I'm not saying that the mentally disabled should be disregarded, I just think that there are certain jobs they might be less suited for
dingbat wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think most people with mental illness are perfectly capable of functioning in society, but not in every function (the same way that a deaf person can't compose a symphony blind person should not drive a truck)


I feel compelled to point out that the most often played symphony in the history of Western music was, in fact written by a deaf person. Beethoven gradually lost his hearing as a young adult, probably due to acute lead poisoning. About the time his hearing loss became complete he wrote his Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67, the most often played piece of classical music on National Public Radio.

I actually prefer the 9th. By the time it premiered, he had been completely deaf for a number of years

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri May 11, 2012 9:37 pm

It will catch up to these people eventually. It always does.

serdog
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby serdog » Sat May 12, 2012 2:19 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:It will catch up to these people eventually. It always does.

Agreed, it grounds for disbarment, in the end fakers will be found out and those who need it will either sink or swim

LOLyer
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby LOLyer » Sun May 13, 2012 8:04 am

You obviously don't have a "learning disability" if you're in law school. That's stupid; I'd be pissed.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby sunynp » Sun May 13, 2012 8:10 am

LOLyer wrote:You obviously don't have a "learning disability" if you're in law school. That's stupid; I'd be pissed.


You are wrong - does being blind count as a learning disability? There are blind people in law school. You don't seem to know much about even basic disability law.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby Mike12188 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:35 pm

sunynp wrote:
LOLyer wrote:You obviously don't have a "learning disability" if you're in law school. That's stupid; I'd be pissed.


You are wrong - does being blind count as a learning disability? There are blind people in law school. You don't seem to know much about even basic disability law.


No thats a seeing disability :lol: . You know nobody on here is talking about handicaps but rather bullshit add and that stuff. And besides it'd be pretty fucking hard for someone to abuse blindness to gain more time on tests. That would take some shady fucking doctors and some serious commitment.

waxecstatic
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby waxecstatic » Sun May 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I've heard of people getting extra time for the LSAT due to having ADD, and I think for many people who take the LSAT, time is a big reason they don't score as high. You get time and a half per section.

In law school, would having extra time necessarily help? I don't think the more you write, necessarily the better, and if you don't know enough about something, then unless you can access materials, which you can't, then it's not going to make a difference. You may even do worse depending on the grading.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Abuse of "disability" status to get more time on finals

Postby cinephile » Sun May 13, 2012 4:01 pm

waxecstatic wrote:In law school, would having extra time necessarily help? I don't think the more you write, necessarily the better, and if you don't know enough about something, then unless you can access materials, which you can't, then it's not going to make a difference. You may even do worse depending on the grading.


Plenty of exams are open book, so you could actually access the materials. But even if you couldn't, more time is generally better as there's always tons of issues within a fact pattern and you have to catch them all and argue both ways and analyze it in depth in the time allowed - which is basically impossible. Like I had a professor this semester who said her exam is out of 200 points, but in past years, an A exam was 60 points. Her fact pattern was 7 pages. It takes so much time to read and analyze the facts, let alone write coherently about it.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412 and 8 guests