2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Pretzel_Logic

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat May 12, 2012 7:55 pm

swc65 wrote:LoL got my first grade back yesterday- turnaround time about a week.

Missed half the class, barely studied, had no idea wtf I was doing- A. There's no way in hell I deserved that grade. I guess my paper was heavier and went farther downt he stairs because of that?

I wish this would happen for me just ONCE in law school. Instead I get grades I actually deserve, which is to say LOLZ.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
swc65 wrote:LoL got my first grade back yesterday- turnaround time about a week.

Missed half the class, barely studied, had no idea wtf I was doing- A. There's no way in hell I deserved that grade. I guess my paper was heavier and went farther downt he stairs because of that?

I wish this would happen for me just ONCE in law school. Instead I get grades I actually deserve, which is to say LOLZ.

Those were my grades last semester. And will probably also be my grades this semester.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:08 pm

keg411 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:

Those were my grades last semester. And will probably also be my grades this semester.

I just do not believe the professors are actually grading exams. My classmate prepared his ass off in another class and knew that shit forward and backward. He was top 1% in 1L and probably the same last year. 100+ person class, unlimited word count, in-class exam, grade back in less than a week. Dude completely underperformed, others completely overperformed.

I seriously think this grading shit is a total joke.

Dale

Postby Dale » Sat May 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:
Dale wrote:Since 1st semester was all B+ and A- (hopefully no worse than median), this exam period was like living in drama-o-rama-land. LR way out of reach but not out of reach of the bottom percentage. We had one 24-hour online exam, most every question had a dozen parts, so I am not expecting the prof to zip through with results anytime soon.

Thread title.

Opps. I imagine waiting for 2L exam results is utterly different (kinda).

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat May 12, 2012 8:21 pm

keg411 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:

I got killed last semester. I'm afraid to check my grades for fear of losing my scholly (and I have a pretty generous stip, especially given how well I did in 1L).

I wrote a zillion words on all my exams this time so hopefully they'll fly to the correct stair.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat May 12, 2012 8:30 pm

These will determine whether I have a real shot at a decent clerkship. I honestly feel like this year was far harder than 1L year although I know I'm in a pretty lonely boat with that opinion.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Detrox wrote:These will determine whether I have a real shot at a decent clerkship. I honestly feel like this year was far harder than 1L year although I know I'm in a pretty lonely boat with that opinion.

You are DEFINITELY not alone in that opinion. I've been saying that since last semester. 1L was a cakewalk compared to 2L.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat May 12, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm in that boat too. I feel like if I had worked half as hard as I did through 1L as I did 2L I'd be a super gunner. The majority of my class agreed that 2L was pretty much the worst, but I think a big part of that was the way the school scheduled classes. (Tax 1, Secured Transactions, Evidence, BA...all with the best profs...all at the same time)

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:

Srsly. I know I'm not getting a clerkship, but it would be nice to have at least one grade that I'm pleasantly surprised by.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sun May 13, 2012 2:45 pm

I honestly didn't really feel like the 2Ls here were studying far less than they did 1L year. Less stressed, yes. But people still stopped going out a month or so before finals, made their own elaborate outlines, etc, etc...

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun May 13, 2012 3:01 pm

goodolgil wrote:I honestly didn't really feel like the 2Ls here were studying far less than they did 1L year. Less stressed, yes. But people still stopped going out a month or so before finals, made their own elaborate outlines, etc, etc...

I probably put in 3/4 the effort that I did as a 1L during the last month of the semester, but the preceding months . . . not so much. I still haven't read a significant number of cases we've gone over.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun May 13, 2012 3:01 pm

goodolgil wrote:I honestly didn't really feel like the 2Ls here were studying far less than they did 1L year. Less stressed, yes. But people still stopped going out a month or so before finals, made their own elaborate outlines, etc, etc...
I think people have started to understand more fully how much work they need to do in order to have reasonable confidence going into an exam. For some, that's as much work as 1L; for others (myself included), that means a lot less reading, one outline at the end, and a practice exam or two.

Also people seem to put more work into papers than studying for exams, but I could be mistaken. Maybe they just talk about papers more.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sun May 13, 2012 3:12 pm

I put so little work into my paper (20 pager did in day and a half before it was due). I really hope that's not true about the papers or I'm in trouble. Honestly worse than most of my undergrad papers.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun May 13, 2012 3:54 pm

For me it hasn't been so much about amount of work put into preparing for finals. I've definitely prepared about equal, maybe a little less and that has been true of most people I know. The core difference has been the insanity of extracurricular obligations: OCI/working in Fall, Journal work, trying to publish, etc. 1L I could focus on class and that was it, I could go out plenty on weekends and often weekdays. This year, I'm lucky to get a night off a week, but maybe my experience is unique in having so little to do 1L and so much more to do 2L.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun May 13, 2012 5:32 pm

2L's here were cray cray.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Fri May 18, 2012 12:41 am

B+ in Con Law 2, which feels low but the professor has a really tight curve. A- in PR, which seems about right. A in Tax 1 despite not having a goddamn clue what I was doing, although I did work my ass off prepping for it and used the E&E and Chirelstein because the professor was terrible. Seminar, final draft of the paper's not due for a few more weeks, but I'm looking good for dean's list again.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri May 18, 2012 12:45 am

umm...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 am

My grades so far (which is all of one): LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
:(.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri May 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Sigh, I got a B+ in one class. In the past, half the students got an A or A-.

Got a B in another class I thought I would do well in.

Funny thing is that these grades raise my GPA.

I have an in-house internship for 2L summer, and it's highly unlikely they will bring me back after grad (could I try to convince them that they've trained me already and I'd be cheaper than outside counsel?). Scared for 3L job hunt...

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 pm

all grades in. It has never taken so little time before.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 pm

I want my grades but, at the same time, I REALLLLLLLLY don't.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 am

blurbz wrote:I want my grades but, at the same time, I REALLLLLLLLY don't.

Me too. I've showed great restraint (for me) and only checked twice...still don't have any (of five).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat May 19, 2012 1:21 pm

keg411 wrote:My grades so far (which is all of one): LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
:(.

Not the B+ you were hoping for?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat May 19, 2012 2:54 pm

3 of 5 grades back so far. Best semester in lawl skool as it stands.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat May 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Is there any benefit to graduating "with honors"? like, for lateral options or future job searches?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”