2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby moandersen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:19 pm

got all my grades back. +1 to 2LOL. Can't wait for 3LOL!

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Grades back. GPA still dropped, but I'm up from last semester.

User avatar
LazinessPerSe
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 am

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby LazinessPerSe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:14 am

This is a really naive (potentially stupid) rising 2L question - but do grades not matter because 2L OCI > SA > Offer, where 2L OCI is completed in early 2L Fall?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:19 am

LazinessPerSe wrote:This is a really naive (potentially stupid) rising 2L question - but do grades not matter because 2L OCI > SA > Offer, where 2L OCI is completed in early 2L Fall?

Pretty much, yeah.

Also, curves can sometimes be more favorable after the first year, so median in a 2L class is often a better grade than median in a 1L class, depending on what your school's policy is and what classes you take.

Miller32
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby Miller32 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 pm

I know it varies by school, but how do latin honors usually go? Cum laude to top 10%, top 20%? My school has a moving scale, and it's not clear how they actually decide the cut-off.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Miller32 wrote:I know it varies by school, but how do latin honors usually go? Cum laude to top 10%, top 20%? My school has a moving scale, and it's not clear how they actually decide the cut-off.


SMU has fixed Latin honors, but Coif varies. Cum laude is 3.2, Magna is 3.6, Summa is 3.8.

Top 10% is usually between 3.5 and 3.6.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby a male human » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:03 pm

kalvano wrote:
Miller32 wrote:I know it varies by school, but how do latin honors usually go? Cum laude to top 10%, top 20%? My school has a moving scale, and it's not clear how they actually decide the cut-off.


SMU has fixed Latin honors, but Coif varies. Cum laude is 3.2, Magna is 3.6, Summa is 3.8.

Top 10% is usually between 3.5 and 3.6.

3.5-3.6 as 10%? Wow, crazy. There's such a huge difference between half a GPA, like 3.5 and 3.0.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Anyone in here take decedents trusts and estates (or wills/estates, whatever they call it) and can tell me it's not worth taking? Practitioners have told me it's a must take, but I can already tell it'll bore me to death, and I figure bar prep would be sufficient to teach me the basics of anyway. I'm trying to fit in bankruptcy or another more useful class, and decedents is 3 credits I could free up for something else.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 pm

a male human wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Miller32 wrote:I know it varies by school, but how do latin honors usually go? Cum laude to top 10%, top 20%? My school has a moving scale, and it's not clear how they actually decide the cut-off.


SMU has fixed Latin honors, but Coif varies. Cum laude is 3.2, Magna is 3.6, Summa is 3.8.

Top 10% is usually between 3.5 and 3.6.

3.5-3.6 as 10%? Wow, crazy. There's such a huge difference between half a GPA, like 3.5 and 3.0.


Is that low or high? From reading about what other people post, I feel like it's low.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby a male human » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm

kalvano wrote:
a male human wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Miller32 wrote:I know it varies by school, but how do latin honors usually go? Cum laude to top 10%, top 20%? My school has a moving scale, and it's not clear how they actually decide the cut-off.


SMU has fixed Latin honors, but Coif varies. Cum laude is 3.2, Magna is 3.6, Summa is 3.8.

Top 10% is usually between 3.5 and 3.6.

3.5-3.6 as 10%? Wow, crazy. There's such a huge difference between half a GPA, like 3.5 and 3.0.


Is that low or high? From reading about what other people post, I feel like it's low.

It's around median at my school, so it's pretty far from 10%.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
a male human wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Miller32 wrote:I know it varies by school, but how do latin honors usually go? Cum laude to top 10%, top 20%? My school has a moving scale, and it's not clear how they actually decide the cut-off.


SMU has fixed Latin honors, but Coif varies. Cum laude is 3.2, Magna is 3.6, Summa is 3.8.

Top 10% is usually between 3.5 and 3.6.

3.5-3.6 as 10%? Wow, crazy. There's such a huge difference between half a GPA, like 3.5 and 3.0.


Is that low or high? From reading about what other people post, I feel like it's low.

What's your median? Our median is a 3.0, cum laude is around a 3.6 (10%), magna around a 3.75 (5%), and summa is top 2 students (I think).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:28 pm

beach_terror wrote:What's your median? Our median is a 3.0, cum laude is around a 3.6 (10%), magna around a 3.75 (5%), and summa is top 2 students (I think).


3.092 for my 2L class, as of right now. It will go up some.

Basically, if you're top 33%, you get cum laude.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby de5igual » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Miller32 wrote:I know it varies by school, but how do latin honors usually go? Cum laude to top 10%, top 20%? My school has a moving scale, and it's not clear how they actually decide the cut-off.


with honors = top 35%
with high honors = top 5%
Coif = top 10%
Chancellor = top 16 people

class of 2010 (and before) had a fixed 3.3 gpa cutoff for "with honors." considering median at graduation is like a 3.45, probably 60-70% had honors back then.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 pm

beach_terror wrote:Anyone in here take decedents trusts and estates (or wills/estates, whatever they call it) and can tell me it's not worth taking? Practitioners have told me it's a must take, but I can already tell it'll bore me to death, and I figure bar prep would be sufficient to teach me the basics of anyway. I'm trying to fit in bankruptcy or another more useful class, and decedents is 3 credits I could free up for something else.


I'm taking Trusts & Estates, but that's because that type of stuff is interesting to me and its the type of class I do well in (whereas, I'd think bankruptcy is another horrible statutory class that I'd epic fail :lol:).

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Yo kegs, got all grades?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:Yo kegs, got all grades?


Yuppers. Things turned out okay, but I've definitely learned my lesson about taking difficult curved classes all in the same semester. On the plus side, I got them all out of the way except for CrimPro (not taking SecReg/Admin/FedCourts), so 3L year should be fun times. And I also realized that I need fewer credits than I thought, so no more hell semesters.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:53 pm

keg411 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Yo kegs, got all grades?


Yuppers. Things turned out okay, but I've definitely learned my lesson about taking difficult curved classes all in the same semester. On the plus side, I got them all out of the way except for CrimPro (not taking SecReg/Admin/FedCourts), so 3L year should be fun times. And I also realized that I need fewer credits than I thought, so no more hell semesters.

Fuck yeah. Trying to do same, personally.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 am

got median pwned
Image

got paid last week
Image

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:48 am

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Anyone in here take decedents trusts and estates (or wills/estates, whatever they call it) and can tell me it's not worth taking? Practitioners have told me it's a must take, but I can already tell it'll bore me to death, and I figure bar prep would be sufficient to teach me the basics of anyway. I'm trying to fit in bankruptcy or another more useful class, and decedents is 3 credits I could free up for something else.


I'm taking Trusts & Estates, but that's because that type of stuff is interesting to me and its the type of class I do well in (whereas, I'd think bankruptcy is another horrible statutory class that I'd epic fail :lol:).

Yeah I hear that. I'm hoping that my summer job turns into an offer or that I have a job by graduation if not, that way I can take classes that would be helpful to what I want to do second semester 3L.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 am

We call it Wills & Trusts, and most people have said it's prevalent on the bar, but nothing you can't learn in BarBri.

User avatar
Antilles Haven
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 am

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:02 am

Took exam 4/18, finished directed research in late March. Neither grades back yet. Come the fuck on.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby goodolgil » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Grading writing competition entries gave me disturbing thoughts about how professors grade exams.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby a male human » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:03 pm

goodolgil wrote:Grading writing competition entries gave me disturbing thoughts about how professors grade exams.

Quite roughly?

Just today I was thinking back to my contracts final where the prof put a ? because I used a semicolon, and I guess that threw him off from his autopilot mode.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby goodolgil » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:50 am

a male human wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Grading writing competition entries gave me disturbing thoughts about how professors grade exams.

Quite roughly?

Just today I was thinking back to my contracts final where the prof put a ? because I used a semicolon, and I guess that threw him off from his autopilot mode.


Mostly because how little of a fuck I have. I tried to give a fuck, but it was really hard.

txlawgirl
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: 2L Spring Grade Waiting Room

Postby txlawgirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:22 pm

The school I attend claims that the professors have 30 days to grade our exams (30 days from the exam or 30 days from when the last exam was taken). I have searched everywhere and cannot find this in any written policy. Do any of your schools have a written policy indicating when grades are due? If so, is there a penalty for not getting them in within the time limit? :roll:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stillblade and 2 guests